MOSCATO HOBBY MODELLING CONTEST!!

7 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

It's taking me longer than I thought but I am almost there. It will probably come down to the wire though.

That's always the case with this sort of contest.  Even simple modeling projects take more time than anticipated, and there's nothing simple about building a resin kit!

In my experience, less that one-third of participants actually finish on time, so last-minute extensions are commonplace.  Extending the deadline by even a week tends to significantly increase the number of submissions.

On 12/2/2021 at 6:35 PM, Ignacio Ocamica said:

It's taking me extremely longer than planned

I've had setbacks of my own... :vava:

1732725785_whiteprimer.jpg.d26d5e0c3fb778355368daa6faa63b55.jpg

Word to the wise: DON'T use Tamiya white primer, even if you've run out of the usual grey and you've got nothing else on hand.

1410697025_primerfail.jpg.9a5c1b48f0048c890c43afd20d684153.jpg

I've had excellent results with Tamiya grey and oxide red primers, but the white stuff is worse than useless. 😣

5 hours ago, tekering said:

Word to the wise: DON'T use Tamiya white primer, even if you've run out of the usual grey and you've got nothing else on hand.

I've had excellent results with Tamiya grey and oxide red primers, but the white stuff is worse than useless. 😣

Noooooooo!!!! Hate it when that happens.

8 hours ago, tekering said:

Ouch! I feel your pain, man. You know what, ironically, has never let me down? The cheapo store brand automotive primer. I've used lacquers, acrylics, enamels, and even automotive paints over it with no problems.

I’ve personally never had good luck with the white. I do like their polyester putty, but that stuff is really getting hard to get a hold of. I was shopping online for some since I’m about halfway down an old tube and hobby king was offering it for $1.99. I got excited and went to preorder and the site notified me that they can’t ship it from their Hong King warehouse.

3 hours ago, captain america said:

You know what, ironically, has never let me down? The cheapo store brand automotive primer.

Next time I'm in a pinch, I'll try my local hardware store.  Thanks, Cap'n! :hi:

36 minutes ago, Big s said:

I do like their polyester putty, but that stuff is really getting hard to get a hold of.

I see 23 different retailers selling it on the Amazon.jp marketplace.  Maybe some of them ship internationally...?

Man that sucks! I've personally never had an issue with Tamiya white primer. It has always functioned the same for me as the greys. Their gloss white runs as bad as your first picture though 🤢. Maybe it's a weather thing? I'm in So CA where there's always low humidity and moderate temps.

All that being said I had an almost exact same thing happen this weekend. It was my final two pieces before I could finish assembly on a major part of the build. When I peeled off the Tamiya masking tape it took off a massive area of weathering and base color, basically down to the primer. I can't even describe how pissed I was. Normally I would start over but with the contest deadline looming there just isn't enough time for me to do it over from scratch.

I'm left with no option but to streamline my process and try to blend it in as best as possible. Hopefully it won't be too noticeable and the rest of the work will make up for it. 

Good luck to you getting your issue resolved. I can't wait to see what you submit.

4 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

When I peeled off the Tamiya masking tape it took off a massive area of weathering and base color, basically down to the primer.

I feel ya, man.   Maybe we should both try automotive primer. 🤕

4 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

I can't wait to see what you submit.

Here's an exclusive sneak peek, just for you. :p

400997191_sneakpeek.jpg.cb7ac3bbe81f9dd276711e9fa3d1566e.jpg

I think there’s something odd about the white. I haven’t had too many problems with the grey. I used too have all kinds of problems with enamel paints not sticking to anything. I personally like lacquer ones the best and luckily they’re getting easier to find. Maybe try mixing the tamiya paint with me leveling thinner instead of water or their thinner and that may give a little more bite to the paint on the primer

It begins! ^_^

Jonathan Botting 

Macross 1/72 Launch Crawler, purchased in three components; launch vehicle, boosters with launch rail and Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1.  Airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics and weathered with Tamiya panel line wash and weathering powders.  Decals substituted from surplus collection.  Custom made ladder, rail, display console and finished with a unique paint scheme.

1 01.jpg

1 02.jpg

1 03.jpg

11 hours ago, captain america said:

Jonathan Botting

Damn, that's a hell of a gauntlet drop... or is it a mic drop? :o

I just wish the pics were more evenly-lit, so we could see his work more clearly.

19 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

I love the chipping effect on the first picture. Did you use the salt method?

Oh no, I require much greater accuracy than that.  Using salt is much too crude, especially at such a small scale.

The hairspray method allows me to remove minuscule flecks of paint in the precise areas where impacts are likely to have occurred, see.

1880249186_bigpistol.jpg.85f03d1f08e97f2b2b377e6fc80ba968.jpg

5 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Are those marks on the clawshields supposed to be dirt and grass strains from trying to pound cyclones, or scratches from rending large mecha?

That's entirely up to your imagination, my friend. :p

59 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

That Norbert is looking purty!!!

Thanks, the kit deserves a lot more attention than it gets.  The Nousjadeul-Ger design itself has never gotten much love, and Moscato's kit gets no love whatsoever!

I've done my best to rectify this injustice:

1346478109_aerialtargetalt.watermark.jpg.3698914782e6f2e5044c71e0dcee63f6.jpg

1089392589_frombehind.jpg.ca7d8928b849623d232e6e75fddbdb30.jpg

1104365611_cockpitcontrols.jpg.76a66a797bd7bf94ed8315cfdafdc78e.jpg

I've chosen to submit these three pics to best represent the work I put into it, along with this brief description:

1:72 “Norbert-Gerard” sculpted by John F. Moscato, produced and distributed by Return To Kit Form. Hobby Base and Revoltech aftermarket joint parts used to articulate the arms, legs, and cannon armature.  Custom levers and switches added to the cockpit controls for additional interior detailing. Further images and description here:

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/45459-would-you-buy-a-repop-of-gerard-norbert-n-ger-because-now-you-can/?do=findComment&comment=1605052

I imagine Brett and the Cap'n will have a difficult choice ahead of them, but I'm really grateful for their efforts in hosting this contest.  I might never have found the motivation to complete the kit otherwise. :lol:

Whelp times up. Unfortunately I didn't get everything done that I wanted to. Definitely could have used some more time to take some better pictures too. Oh well. 

Road weary warrior heading back out to combat...

Moscato Bioloyyd Commander and Sled. Painted with lacquer, weathered with enamels and powders. For the figure, customized articulation in the shoulders, wrists, fingers, hips, ankles, and toes. Magnets in the hands and modified the gun drum to be on the outside. For the sled added details for the front, yoke, interior sides, and foot pads. Wired LED's for the thrusters. Customized base made from wood, plasticard, and clay. Wired LED's throughout.

C01.jpg.a17bb6877b32c2412c414993c74c0107.jpgC02.jpg.ce5c8d10124019591025ad1f30c33b6c.jpgC03.jpg.eb4f5b1d1d2f88bc32f339c2c8aa5967.jpg

Edited by Boobytrap
words

I've been anxious to see what you were going to do with that base, @Boobytrap.  You don't disappoint!  :good:

It's wonderfully retro-futuristic. ^_^

10 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

Customized base made from wood, plasticard, and clay.

Clay...!  :o

That clear support rod looks rather precarious... Will it handle the weight indefinitely?  What's it made of? :huh:

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

@Boobytrap that diorama is stunning!

I don't think that qualifies as a diorama, exactly... :unsure:

1626611187_thewideshot.jpg.50a33553fe3ef097a90c0955a7b4105d.jpg

A diorama would be more along these lines, see.

upskirt.jpg.dd33e0a0e05009094ac07d09fad85381.jpg

I figured you'd appreciate this.  B))

525745376_interiordetail.jpg.08434c24685ee53099c3bd747a7fee1a.jpg

2 hours ago, tekering said:

I've been anxious to see what you were going to do with that base, @Boobytrap.  You don't disappoint!  :good:

It's wonderfully retro-futuristic. ^_^

That clear support rod looks rather precarious... Will it handle the weight indefinitely?  What's it made of? :huh:

I don't think that qualifies as a diorama, exactly... :unsure:

A diorama would be more along these lines, see.

I figured you'd appreciate this.  B))

Man, its a shame you posted those past the deadline! :o I'm going to make sure you submit something AT LEAST that spectaular next year, even if I have to smuggle myself to Japan, break into your model room and take the pics myself... Promptly followed by my arrest, return to Canada, and stepping-down as a contest judge for my blatant conflict of interest. 

Also, I'm most likely going to tinker with the points system to incentivize early model submissions. Now that you all have a year's notice, there will be no excuse for last minute entries.

Edited by captain america

2 minutes ago, captain america said:

Man, its a shame you posted those past the deadline! :o

Only because I decided the diorama wasn't worthy of submission.  I actually took those photos first, but then chose to submit the N-Ger by itself after realizing it looked better against a neutral grey background.  I kind of shot myself in the foot, trying to be accurate to the anime with my Zentraedi hangar... 'cause it's a really limited color scheme. <_<

It was a tough decision, but I eventually thought better of squeezing all my "Z Alien" kits into a single entry.  The Norbert-Gerard is my best work, and strong enough on its own.

13 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

Whelp times up. Unfortunately I didn't get everything done that I wanted to. Definitely could have used some more time to take some better pictures too. Oh well. 

Road weary warrior heading back out to combat...

Moscato Bioloyyd Commander and Sled. Painted with lacquer, weathered with enamels and powders. For the figure, customized articulation in the shoulders, wrists, fingers, hips, ankles, and toes. Magnets in the hands and modified the gun drum to be on the outside. For the sled added details for the front, yoke, interior sides, and foot pads. Wired LED's for the thrusters. Customized base made from wood, plasticard, and clay. Wired LED's throughout.

C01.jpg.a17bb6877b32c2412c414993c74c0107.jpgC02.jpg.ce5c8d10124019591025ad1f30c33b6c.jpgC03.jpg.eb4f5b1d1d2f88bc32f339c2c8aa5967.jpg

Love it!!!

4 hours ago, tekering said:

Yeah I sculpted the claw like thing in the back, the partial disk in the front, and the city tower.

I also sculpted a couple of cannons but I ran out of time to finish and mount them.

Cannon01.jpg.a3d70e840bedd240ea68edee2ec28ff2.jpg

The figure is on a thick acrylic rod. There's no chance of it ever breaking or falling. I bumped that thing more times and in more ways than I care to admit so it has been thoroughly tested 🙂.

And that diorama... 😵. While I agree that your figure is more than strong enough to stand on its own that thing is a whole other level of awesomeness.

5 hours ago, captain america said:

I'm going to make sure you submit something AT LEAST that spectaular next year,

Psst Cap, he has those Gosu that need finishing so we can stea...uh I mean admire the pics.😁

2 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

I also sculpted a couple of cannons but I ran out of time to finish and mount them.

Are you still going to finish and mount them now that you have submitted your entry?