MOSCATO HOBBY MODELLING CONTEST!!

***CONTEST RULES***

-The contest will take place from September 13th to December 13th, 2021, and we will be accepting entries immediately on September 13th, if you have something ready. Last-minute entries are welcomed, so long as you respect the deadline date and time
-The kit you enter must be an original Moscato Hobby Models kit. Any scale, any subject

-The kit can have been built at any time in the past, so already completed kits are welcome

-Modifications are welcome, even extensive ones

-Two entries maximum per person

-Three (3) photos per entry maximum

-For judging purposes, there should only be one subject per photo

-Models should be photographed against a plain, neutral background of any solid color. Even sonething as simple as a white sheet of paper or cardboard will suffice. Models photographed against a backdrop featuring your stash, your messy bedroom, your cat, etc. will be disqualified

-Bribery will be grounds for disqualification!

-Dioramas and vignettes are welcome also. The entire dio will be considered one subject, even if there are multiple models in the scene

-Photo-editing is only permitted to adjust color balance, or blank-out the background; see EXAMPLE A

-please include a watermark or your name somewhere in the photo to avoid someone stealing or passing your pic off as their own. If this exceeds your skill level or you forget, I will add your name to the pic before publishing it

-Since this is the very first contest of this kind, you may use any photos you’ve taken in the past. However, take note that should there be other such contests in the following years, the photos previously submitted will no longer be eligible. Therefore, if you decide to enter the same kit/subject a following year, you will need to take new photos

-The deadline for entres is December 13th, 2021 9pm EST. The winner will be announced on Dec 17th, 2021

-Each subject submitted should include a brief description: kit name, scale, and a short description of any notable modifications (60 words tops) example:
«1/48 Pinky Space Crab. Kit has been modified with aftermarket ball-joints for posability, and an integrated battery and LED for the mono-eye. The beam guns are also removable with magnets. Kit was finished with Mr. Color lacqer paints. The primary color was obtained by mixing 50% H-X and H-Y and H-Z was used for the pink. »

JUDGING CRITERIA
Because this is an on-line contest whereby the actual kits cannot be meticulousy scrutinized with dental mirrors, actual anime or military paint swatches, and electron-beam microscopes, the judging will be based on the overall « wow » factor of the image. Each subject will be awarded points on the following criteria:
-the overall build and finish quality of the model based on the photographs provided 1-10 points

-MECHA ONLY- the pose or positioning of the model: does the pose of the mecha look clumsy or natural? 1-10 points

-AIR/SPACECRAFT ONLY- does the angle at which the model is photographed look dynamic, or show-off its best features? 1-10 points

-DIORAMA/VIGNETTE ONLY- overall composition, layout. Is it a productive use of space? 1-10 points divided between the mecha, ship/aircraft, figures, surroundings, depending on the elements included

-photo quality: is the subject well or cleverly lit? Are the photos clear or blurry? Does the suject get confused with the background because the colors are too similar? 1-5 points

-creativity: have you done something special to the model that makes it more impressive, like add lights, modify the pose, scratchbuild or replace meticulous parts for added realism? 1-5 points

Total of 30 points possible per subject (10 for overall build quality, 10 for its category, 5 for photo, and 5 for creativity)

WHO WILL JUDGE THE ENTRIES?
-Myself (John), Brett from Return2KitForm, and his wife Chrissy will serve as judges.

HOW DO I SUBMIT MY ENTRY?
Just send a private message to me on the MHM Facebook page with your images and desired text. I will process your entry and then publish it in a special folder entitled 2021 MHM CONTEST, which will be accessible when you browse the image folders on my page.

GRAND PRIZE
There is only one winner, and one prize, which will be a 1/48 Moscato Hobby Jolly Green Bio Lloyd unassembled resin kit.

Some Q & A clarifications

Would a subject (or diorama) photographed against a real sky background be acceptable?

Yes! I will ammend the rules to reflect this clarification. I'll allow it for dioramas/vignettes, since their purpose is to show models in an environment. 

Could said diorama include models (or toys) that weren't Moscato products?

Yes, so long as the models/toys/tree products, rocks, etc. Are not the focal point of the diorama. As long as a Moscato kit is the main subject, the other, decorative props are fine.

I imagine something like this is out of the question, then...?

Correct.  I want the physical model to be as clearly visible as possible, so while I enjoy lens flares and muzzle flashes and things of that sort, not for this competition. That said, I would be happy to have the modeller show-off those extra effects in a side-by-side pic without the digital bells and whistles after the competition is over.

How about, say, a pose that required the support of a stand?  Could the stand be edited out of the photograph(s)?

Yes, the stand can be edited out. That actually falls under the umbrella of EXAMPLE A, where some cluttering elements can be digitally removed.

:huh:

How about extortion, kidnapping, or blackmail...? 😄

Love me a challenge!

MHM poster 2021.jpg

BAD PHOTO.png

EXAMPLE A.png

green bio lloyd prize copy.jpg

Edited by captain america

Hot Damn! I thought that the entries were going to have to be submitted this month. Having until December is awesome. I should definitely be able to complete everything by then.

I'm really looking forward to this. I can't wait to see all of the wonderful submissions that people have created of your works past and present. There should be some real beauties.

Any chance we can send in photos through some other means other than Facebook? I don't have an account there and try to avoid it when at all possible.

1 hour ago, Boobytrap said:

Hot Damn! I thought that the entries were going to have to be submitted this month. Having until December is awesome. I should definitely be able to complete everything by then.

I'm really looking forward to this. I can't wait to see all of the wonderful submissions that people have created of your works past and present. There should be some real beauties.

Any chance we can send in photos through some other means other than Facebook? I don't have an account there and try to avoid it when at all possible.

Yes! I think it's OK for you to post the entries here in this thread if you don't have FB, just make sure that you respect the guidelines. I'll ask people to post here only as a last resort if they don't have Facebook, so that I don't have to keep track of 2 streams of entries. I'll post the entries I get on FB here as well, so that all entries are visible. 

ADDENDUM

Just for clarity's sake, any of my mastered kits currently offered by Return 2 Kit Form are also elligible, since they were once Moscato Hobby kits and they're sculpted by me. ^_^

Congratulations on launching your inaugural contest!  🥳

Just a few questions for clarification, Cap'n:

21 hours ago, captain america said:

Models should be photographed against a plain, neutral background of any solid color.

Would a subject (or diorama) photographed against a real sky background be acceptable?

Dioramas and vignettes are welcome also. The entire dio will be considered one subject, even if there are multiple models in the scene

Photo-editing is only permitted to adjust color balance, or blank-out the background

I imagine something like this is out of the question, then...?

How about, say, a pose that required the support of a stand?  Could the stand be edited out of the photograph(s)?

Bribery will be grounds for disqualification!

How about extortion, kidnapping, or blackmail...? 😄

49 minutes ago, tekering said:

Congratulations on launching your inaugural contest!  🥳

Just a few questions for clarification, Cap'n:

Yes! I will ammend the rules to reflect this clarification. I'll allow it for dioramas/vignettes, since their purpose is to show models in an environment. 

Yes, so long as the models/toys/tree products, rocks, etc. Are not the focal point of the diorama. So long as a Moscato kit is the main subject, the other, decorative props are fine.

I imagine something like this is out of the question, then...?

Correct.  I want the physical model to be as clearly visible as possible, so while I enjoy lens flares and muzzle flashes and things of that sort, not for this competition. That said, I would be happy to have the modeller show-off those extra effects in a side-by-side pic without the digital bells and whistles after the competition is over.

Yes, the stand can be edited out. That actually falls under the umbrella of EXAMPLE A, where some cluttering elements can be digitally removed.

How about extortion, kidnapping, or blackmail...? 😄

Love me a challenge!

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, dude!  A Legioss Supreme!  :shok:

In the performing arts, that is what is known as a "mic drop." B))

13 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

And so it has begun!!

I thought you had begun five years ago... :p

Seriously, if I had one of those 1:32 beasts, I'd be planning on entering next year's contest.  Ten weeks isn't nearly enough time to give that kit the effort it deserves.

Unless, of course, those photos are actually years old, and you're much further along in your build... 😅

Either way, can't wait to see what you do with it! 😍

5 hours ago, tekering said:

Damn, dude!  A Legioss Supreme!  :shok:

In the performing arts, that is what is known as a "mic drop." B))

I thought you had begun five years ago... :p

Seriously, if I had one of those 1:32 beasts, I'd be planning on entering next year's contest.  Ten weeks isn't nearly enough time to give that kit the effort it deserves.

Unless, of course, those photos are actually years old, and you're much further along in your build... 😅

Either way, can't wait to see what you do with it! 😍

You are right!!! Second time I'm attacking this build 😜 I always have multiple projects at a time. Curently scratchbuilding a 1/60 Zentran soldier.

Your builds, actually "works of art", motivated me to tackle the Surpreme Legioss. He's been neglegted for many years now :lol:

I want to do it right so yes, I have little time. I'm cleaning and trimming the parts. Wish my photos were years old :lol:

Innie-minnie -mynnie-moe..D79996FE-0129-46BF-8EED-805ED2F520C8.jpeg.a2aacd2e97d97bcd1547e11d89fda719.jpeg

Initially, I wanted to do the Glaug. Which i purchased without a box from a fellow MW'er some years ago. But once i looked at it , no way is there enough time for me to do it proper. Even though I'm deciding to take one extra day off each week for this project. So..BFBED753-5FAB-47E6-B5EC-EDFFEA393497.jpeg.2e7a97261fe4588287c37dce91c3eb09.jpeg

I'm gonna go for this. With the Kamjin too. I think they will make a good pair. 

Edited by Bolt

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

That thing is massive ! 😲

Yes it definitely is!!!

52 minutes ago, tekering said:

1:32 scale, by Moscato calculation... which would make it nearly 1:24 scale based on the official stats. :ohmy:

So true!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...