[Netflix] He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Old_Nash

Lol, I'm out.  

Comments turned off, 1.5k likes, 1.2k dislikes at this moment.

Solid pass for me, it looks like....well, let's just say its not for me.

He-Man is dead.

I must be on the flip side of the coin. I was never into He-Man as a kid, although I was acutely aware of the toys. I didn't own any, but they had distinctive names, looks, and gimmicks that kinda stuck in my brain all these years. So, going into the Netflix show with no preconceptions, I enjoyed it.  But I'm aware there's been a lot of negative reception, so I'm guessing they went left field with it compared to the original show.  If there's a second season, I'll watch it, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 2:59 PM, Old_Nash said:

new video

You know, what strikes me the most here is how much more they GET He-Man than the show that is a sequel to the actual He-Man.

That transformation sequence is not Generic Magical Girl Henshin #7. It is a thing of power and violence, and while it leans too far towards Hulk(there is a sense of uncontrolled violence to it that rings  false), it still feels like THE MOST POWERFUL MAN IN THE UNIVERSE is arriving, not "Genderbent Sailor Moon".

And just as I was getting ready to complain that they forgot the reverb AGAIN, the transformation sequenced finished off with him repeating the final phrase with suitably thick amounts of reverb. They REMEMBERED.

With what they were going for, I'd make some tweaks, but I don't feel like the entire thing is totally off-base.

Mostly, I feel like the timing of certain events is off. I'd have distant thunder when he first unsheathes the sword. The wind and clouds moving in wouldn't happen until after Adam says "Grayskull", as the magic starts to take hold in earnest.

It isn't what I feel is truly an important change, but I'd also add reverb a little bit at a time as he progresses through the words, and have the glowy gold light effect around the sword start dim and suddenly flare up to blindingly bright at the end of the words. This this is a seizing of destiny, the moment Adam stops being a prince and starts being a hero.  I think these minor tweaks would emphasize the importance of what's happening(and make the glowing holographic scroll look less silly).

I'd also change the art style COMPLETELY, but... that's less a minor tweak and more "the show's character design is stupid and ugly".

I saw a lot of posts on other forums saying it was better than expected, so I at least gave it a shot---and it's not horrible?  I'm certainly interested enough to watch a second ep, and see where it goes.   

Also, David Kaye is in it, so that's an automatic coolness point.   

• 5 months later...

Whatever happened to the Mondo Revelations Skeletor? Any news on a pre-order date?

The feet on that Skele looked right to me.

https://twitter.com/MondoNews/status/1436744436072001542/photo/1

Despite everything the one thing about this series that really doesn't work for me is Skeletor with the Joker's voice from the Batman animated series. I always held the view, form when reading say - The Power of Point Dread minicomic - that he should have a sepulchral voice. As the "Lord of Destruction" he should be an impressive and frightening character.

Yet in almost every series he is portrayed as somewhat of a feckless clown.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:10 AM, Podtastic said:

Whatever happened to the Mondo Revelations Skeletor? Any news on a pre-order date?

The feet on that Skele looked right to me.

https://twitter.com/MondoNews/status/1436744436072001542/photo/1

Despite everything the one thing about this series that really doesn't work for me is Skeletor with the Joker's voice from the Batman animated series. I always held the view, form when reading say - The Power of Point Dread minicomic - that he should have a sepulchral voice. As the "Lord of Destruction" he should be an impressive and frightening character.

Yet in almost every series he is portrayed as somewhat of a feckless clown.

The one time they portrayed him with anything like that was Frank Langella in the 80's movie. Heck, they should consider him for the next voice-acting role for Skeletor!

On 9/19/2021 at 9:29 PM, David Hingtgen said:

I saw a lot of posts on other forums saying it was better than expected, so I at least gave it a shot---and it's not horrible?  I'm certainly interested enough to watch a second ep, and see where it goes.   

Also, David Kaye is in it, so that's an automatic coolness point.   

Well, possibly due to Kevin Smith, which wouldn't be a high bar.

I am not sure if anyone thought up idea of "Skeletor was rightful ruler of Greyskull all along and He Man was a usurper while ignoring canon" *Coughs in Malekith storyline in Warhammer End Times* and applying it. I mean Bardic Podcast use this as a metaphor.