If Michael Bay was announced as a new director for a SDFM live-action movie.

Invid99

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Can any of us even hope to rival the nearly Lovecraftian horror that @Einherjar keeps reminding us already exists?

It'd be almost exactly like that, except everything would be on fire or exploding.

Well, he is a massive walking American stereotype after all...

Let's see if I can sum it up here...

611995479_MichaelBayMacross.jpg.e63d6d74df52c39bc952eebdbcae12d0.jpg

Edited by pengbuzz

14 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Thinking on this (not too hard I assure you), Bay wouldn't be good for an SDFM but... what about M7?

If anything, that might actually be worse... Macross 7's Basara is a technical pacifist, which is about as far from what Bay can work with as it gets, and while there are some explosions a lot of the story revolves around Basara's general unwillingness to hurt anyone.

5 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

If anything, that might actually be worse... Macross 7's Basara is a technical pacifist, which is about as far from what Bay can work with as it gets, and while there are some explosions a lot of the story revolves around Basara's general unwillingness to hurt anyone.

Well, physically. As for emotionally...this is Basara Nekki we're talking about here. He has the emotional intellect of one of those leaves he ate while off on one of his gallivanting adventures...

Edited by pengbuzz

3 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, physically. As for emotionally...well, this is Basara Nekki we're talking about here. He has the emotional intellect of one of those leaves he ate while off on one of his gallivanting adventures...

Well, yeah... Basara's emotional responses are definitely atypical, but in a way that suits his conflict-averse beliefs and the story's themes.  Can you imagine what'd happen if a hack like Michael Bay got ahold of him?  Basara's a great pilot but he's basically a non-action protagonist, since he refuses to actually fight anyone.  Michael Bay would turn him into some kind of gung-ho punk in order to get the action scenes he can't live without and ruin the story's themes in the process.

Imagine Macross 7 where the role of Basara is played by Nathan Explosion.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

3 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, yeah... Basara's emotional responses are definitely atypical, but in a way that suits his conflict-averse beliefs and the story's themes.  Can you imagine what'd happen if a hack like Michael Bay got ahold of him?  Basara's a great pilot but he's basically a non-action protagonist, since he refuses to actually fight anyone.  Michael Bay would turn him into some kind of gung-ho punk in order to get the action scenes he can't live without and ruin the story's themes in the process.

Oh, I agree on all your points wholeheartedly.  Don't let Michael bay ANYWHERE near ANY Macross, ever.

I just like picking on Basara. 😛

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

He's got a very punchable face, Basara.....hahahahaha!

18 minutes ago, azrael said:

Macross is a Japanese product. We all know Robotechies want Bay to do their show. Threads like this tell me they are practically on their knees begging for it. 

There. I said it.

I mean, I wouldn't want Bay in charge of a Robotech movie either, and I came to Macross through Robotech.

It really feels like people are just looking for a big name and are "Oh, Bay did a sci-fi movie with aliens and robots!"... which I GUESS is typical of the Robotech Movie Hype Machine. HG's unilaterally attached a BUNCH of big names to that over the years.

6 hours ago, Focslain said:

Thinking on this (not too hard I assure you), Bay wouldn't be good for an SDFM but... what about M7? It has the rock music, a dense male lead and if we go for Barsara on the battlefield, lots of explosions. Plus his interactions with Sivil seem right up Bay's alley for female roles. 

Just need some passable writing to make sure Mylene's character isn't gutted.

Only Edgar Wright or Wes Anderson could do a proper Macross 7.

4 hours ago, azrael said:

Macross is a Japanese product. We all know Robotechies want Bay to do their show. Threads like this tell me they are practically on their knees begging for it. 

There. I said it.

You said it ! 🤙

15 hours ago, Keith said:

Only Edgar Wright or Wes Anderson could do a proper Macross 7.

James Cameron/Robert Rodriguez did a decent enough job on Alita honestly, they might be able to handle a macross movie.

As for M7 though... On one hand you could condense the series considerably without losing anything, on the other not sure if you could condense it into movie length.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

• 2 weeks later...

So Michael Bay huh?

Let's see... this is US based so it's gonna be HG territory... I'm gonna pair it with the first TF cast.

Rick - Shia LaBeouf 

Minmay - Megan Fox

Roy - Josh Duhamel 

Ben - Tyrese Gibson 

Max - dunno

Millia - dunno

Lisa - John Turturro

Yup... looks right.

1 minute ago, crackpot said:

So Michael Bay huh?

Let's see... this is US based so it's gonna be HG territory... I'm gonna pair it with the first TF cast.

Rick - Shia LaBeouf 

Minmay - Megan Fox

Roy - Josh Duhamel 

Ben - Tyrese Gibson 

Max - dunno

Millia - dunno

Lisa - John Turturro

Yup... looks right.

Sorry, I just threw up a bit reading that.

12 hours ago, crackpot said:

So Michael Bay huh?

Rick - Shia LaBeouf 

Minmay - Megan Fox

Roy - Josh Duhamel 

Ben - Tyrese Gibson 

Max - dunno

Millia - dunno

Lisa - John Turturro

Yup... looks right.

Well, Shia "isn't famous anymore", Megan Fox ticked off either Michael or Steven Spielberg and ended up falling out of favor, Josh is still nursing his divorce from Fergie, and John just doesn't have the legs for the role anymore.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, Shia "isn't famous anymore", Megan Fox ticked off either Michael or Steven Spielberg and ended up falling out of favor, Josh is still nursing his divorce from Fergie, and John just doesn't have the legs for the role anymore.

Never underestimate the power of Hollywood money. They'll crawl out of their irrelevance for another paycheck and massive explosions even how bad a movie may be.

Obviously this is all a joke. Some things should be left as is and doesn't need a live action reimagining.

13 hours ago, crackpot said:

Never underestimate the power of Hollywood money. They'll crawl out of their irrelevance for another paycheck and massive explosions even how bad a movie may be.

Obviously this is all a joke. Some things should be left as is and doesn't need a live action reimagining.

True on all counts. Still having trouble imagining John Tuturro as Lisa. :p

On 8/26/2021 at 7:49 AM, crackpot said:

Pretty sure OP was serious... but yeah, everyone else appropriately saw this as an appalling joke. 😅