Neill Blomkamp's Demonic

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I dunno if it's him specifically or the FX crew (Weta?) he regularly teams with, but his movies always have such good, unconventionally appealing visual effects.

And...that's about all he has. Everything else is just half baked plots about apartheid analogs or sticking it to the "man" full of unlikable characters who are supposed to be the protagonists that you find yourself kind of rooting against or down right hating.

The movie looks OK which is sad as Blomkamp is talented but really is just a one hit wonder with District 9. All his follow up films were weak, and his many other projects fizzle out quickly.

Also, he is working on District 10 using American history as plot material which doesn't give me any confidence as well.

9 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

And...that's about all he has. Everything else is just half baked plots about apartheid analogs or sticking it to the "man" full of unlikable characters who are supposed to be the protagonists that you find yourself kind of rooting against or down right hating.

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

The movie looks OK which is sad as Blomkamp is talented but really is just a one hit wonder with District 9. All his follow up films were weak, and his many other projects fizzle out quickly.

Also, he is working on District 10 using American history as plot material which doesn't give me any confidence as well.

Too true. D9 was his most successful work, both financially and artistically, and the one that I return to most often. Elysium and Chappie both still work well enough, but their social commentary is only surface level. I think it has to do with his being more familiar with the specifically South African apartheid that informed D9, whereas Elysium's classism and Chappie's... I forget what the term is, the "what makes a human?" idea... were either more generic in scope or tried to be specific to cultures/regions that he wasn't a part of or couldn't get good insight into.

Regardless, I'm optimistic and excited about this movie.

D9 was good.  Elysium forgettable (I mean, I've forgotten most of it besides it takes place partly in a spaceship with no roof) and Chappie, that was the where the "protagonists" were worse than those in Fury.  (I don't know of a worse insult).

22 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Just what I want. More social commentary on slavery/racism.