Moscato 1/72 XV Commanchero Gunship

Mintox

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

Can you use the seats from the Hind?

If you can get the Zvezda/Revell Hind for cheap, it has some excellent pilots.

Aye I did eye those off but they're like 50 quid down under so they'll be expensive pilots. 

The Zvedza Hind came today and the pilots didn't disappoint. The actual kit itself is ok, for a 1/72 aircraft kit, but the pilots are something else. Not the normal blobs you normally get in most 1/72 kits, the pilots actually have really defined faces and hands, something sorely missing from the Hasegawa 1/72 kits. 

The photos below are of the rear pilot. I've used bluetack to help position the pilot and get the arms into the pose I wanted. Much easier than putting it in the cockpit and trying to glue things. Check out the face on the pilot. HE. HAS. A. FACE. In 1/72!

27_commanchero.JPG.429775ec38d7e52db4cebb7a23599a5b.JPG

28_commanchero.JPG.257a5eca6c36d15db68b21bcf0e8bff3.JPG

Minor progress. Trying to shoehorn the pilots, seats and cockpit dashes was more challenging than I thought it was going to be. These are rough tests of how things will sit. I still need to sand a little here, grind a little off there, but so far they all fit.

29_commanchero.JPG.8bc57cc6606af7245592228ba79d01b6.JPG

Edited by Mintox

A question, what sort of weapons do people think would look good on the wing pylons? The kit ones are accurate to the line art but are all the same weapon, rocket pods. Im wanting to add some flare to it and have tried some of the Russian weapons from the Hinds. What about something like US Navy or Apache weapons? Should I stick to Hasegawa's 1/72 VF weapons for a more authentic Macross look? 

51 minutes ago, Mintox said:

A question, what sort of weapons do people think would look good on the wing pylons? The kit ones are accurate to the line art but are all the same weapon, rocket pods. Im wanting to add some flare to it and have tried some of the Russian weapons from the Hinds. What about something like US Navy or Apache weapons? Should I stick to Hasegawa's 1/72 VF weapons for a more authentic Macross look? 

Books like Variable Fighter Master File claim that the Unified Forces only used NATO weapons.  So, if you want to be 'authentic', there's that guideline.

However, I'd go with your gut instinct on what makes the Commanchero look more lethal.  There's been no material that said the Commanchero wasn't used by the Anti Unification Alliance—not to mention that the Unified Forces have a history of using Anti Unification Alliance weaponry—so anything goes.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:37 AM, sketchley said:

Books like Variable Fighter Master File claim that the Unified Forces only used NATO weapons.  So, if you want to be 'authentic', there's that guideline.

However, I'd go with your gut instinct on what makes the Commanchero look more lethal.  There's been no material that said the Commanchero wasn't used by the Anti Unification Alliance—not to mention that the Unified Forces have a history of using Anti Unification Alliance weaponry—so anything goes.

good advice. I have some 1/72 Bandai VF weapons winging their way to me so I'll do some fit outs and see what I think.

Update: Testing the custom stand the client has sent me to mount the Commanchero. This was a bit tricky because of the bomb bays being displayed opened I had little choice of places to mount the stand. Ideally in the exact center (inside the bomb bay) is the exact middle but since that is out I had two choices, immediately forward of the bomb bay or immediately aft of it. I chose aft as the weight tends to nose the model down looking more aggressive. Forward and it would want to tilt back. I may need to use super glue on the stand to set the angle as the weight of the model out strips the resistance of the ball joint on the top of the stand. 

In this photo the whole model has been sprayed Tamiya Surface Primer Fine. 

30_commanchero.JPG.902b1d1c4d5e7a16cc48b289d27e33cc.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its been awhile since my last update but work and life in general have been taking priority. Now the weather is a little warmer Ive been able to start the painting. Here Im adding some shading on all the panel joins. Im using Mr Hobby Tire Black, a very dark grey colour but which looks black. Once this dries I'll start with the lighter grey colour, something similar to the US Marine Corp colours they use on their choppers. The customer has asked for the tail (vertical stabiliser) to be painted black with Skull Squadron livery. 

31_commanchero.JPG.9c9d2b755c530152467124574bae78e7.JPG

On 10/3/2021 at 12:46 PM, coronadlux said:

Do you have macross heads for the pilots?

I do but Im not sure theyd look 'right' on these pilots. Plus Ive discovered 1/72 is a loose scale for figures. 

19 hours ago, coronadlux said:

I do have a 3d printer and a DYRL pilot I can print the helmet of.

Thanks for the offer. Ill need to check with the customer to see what they say before I commit. 

• 4 weeks later...

ok now weather isnt sucking so much in sunny Western Australia Ive been able to get out in to the workshop to continue painting. Here I putting on the final coat (gloss) of a light grey. Weathering and decals etc to come next. The panel shading looks very light but it is darker and more defined than what the images shows.

32_commanchero.JPG

• 1 month later...