Bandai VF-31AX Kairos Plus - Hayate Type

jvmacross

5 hours ago, chriswoo said:

Also the old super/armor pack was not compatible with the VF 31 AX.

1 hour ago, blackconvoy_D01 said:

Will the AX super parts fit on the TV 31s?

I shared this photo before from Twitter way way back. He put on some of the VF-31 Super Parts on the VF-31AX. Between 31 models, I believe what's compatible is the leg, thigh, intake, pelvic, arm shield, in between modes. The chest probably works in Battroid mode. Not sure if it's going to lay flat in Fighter/Gerwalk modes, this is due to the fold crystal being bigger this time around. So it might not flush properly.

FHbvsL1aMAYCE5i.jpeg.45a189deb4e125928e57b34f48ef602a.jpeg

Ditto I got my copy coming in from LP just last night. Checking it out I am actually quite content with it. All the complaints and the apparent QC issues seem to have prepared me well.🤣 One thing I had to correct immediately was the right arm, which was frozen solid at the joint from some glue sipping into it during assembly. What can I say, the usual I come to expect from Bandai...

58A719D7-3C11-48E6-8FA0-B26639D2B074.webp.c41c6ac3b7a96f33604128ef204347be.webp

BTW, kudos to LP for sturdy packaging this time, item arrived undamaged and intact!

Everyone should pack things like ShowZ and include those fancy corner covers.

1 hour ago, Angesdad said:

BTW, kudos to LP for sturdy packaging this time, item arrived undamaged and intact!

2 hours ago, Benson13 said:

I just got my Hayate AX and you guys weren't lying about the QC and tolerances. I am a little heartbroken.

If the cannons in foghter mode are pointing downwards, remember there is armor at the forearm with a sliding mechanism that needs to be pushed towards the elbow.

This will give clearance to the cannons align properly.

11 hours ago, RealJayDee said:

If the cannons in foghter mode are pointing downwards, remember there is armor at the forearm with a sliding mechanism that needs to be pushed towards the elbow.

Thanks! I'll give it a look soon. Just packed all my Macross stuff to do new paint and carpet in my collection room.

On 4/9/2022 at 2:19 PM, RealJayDee said:

Have you confirmed that this does prevent the guns from sagging in fighter mode?

39 minutes ago, autoNamed said:

Have you confirmed that this does prevent the guns from sagging in fighter mode?

The arm armor sliding mechanism is actually a part of the transformation between modes. By not sliding it, you won't be able to fold the cannons and twist the hand joint properly in Fighter mode. Remember that the Valkyrie comes in in Fighter mode so technically the armor sliding mechanism has been in correct position. The sagging arm cannon has been concluded by a lot that it's a design flaw.

So I ended up filing down the wing pegs for a better fitment, mainly because of the upcoming super pack. I figure you will need a firm attachment of the wings to offset extra weight of the longer wing boosters by design this time. 😑
4B1271E4-EEBA-42BE-B68F-96749ADF9D55.jpeg.33e5cf4395559ed6e92a23f0191767d3.jpeg

0E5F5641-663E-45AF-AF7B-5F79CE578960.jpeg.40aea5ed0f266b4b7ed97c69052b0c50.jpeg

F204FF04-174E-46E7-BCBD-AE1CB5B37D90.jpeg.f39da3770f4fa80a01a775bdc4e55d8d.jpeg
tools of destruction 

17 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

The arm armor sliding mechanism is actually a part of the transformation between modes. By not sliding it, you won't be able to fold the cannons and twist the hand joint properly in Fighter mode. Remember that the Valkyrie comes in in Fighter mode so technically the armor sliding mechanism has been in correct position. The sagging arm cannon has been concluded by a lot that it's a design flaw.

With mine one arm had the forearm armor stuck midway, so it was still possible to put everything together under the wing but the gun was just a little lower, definitely not as flush as the other side. Eventually I was able to get that armor moving and helped to have it right under the wing.

It is not the only issue, if you push the arm full into the wing tabs, guns will point down, but if you dont, the panels wont make one flat surface. 

2 hours ago, RealJayDee said:

It is not the only issue, if you push the arm full into the wing tabs, guns will point down, but if you dont, the panels wont make one flat surface. 

True. Cannons and panels on mine will somehow line up if I don't push the arm's tab onto the wing. This is so backwards for Bandai.

22 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

True. Cannons and panels on mine will somehow line up if I don't push the arm's tab onto the wing. This is so backwards for Bandai.

the same in my case. Got the sliding panel sorted out and everything lines up good. However the last tab towards the rear of the wing can not be pushed in all the way no matter what. It almost feels like it needs another joint or something.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Since I had my supplies out from working on the 1D, I decided to touch up the 31AX a bit.

Sadly one of the pegs on the clear part of the stand snapped off while I was fiddling with it. What a flimsy part that was. :aggressive:

52028100894_7c6f444cfd_o.jpg

52027851911_c9c9152c7f_o.jpg

Beautiful touch-ups as always, @Lolicon. :wub: :good: 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see that they'll be released in a few weeks. I preordered a set through a proxy at the end of December. Even though it's a TWE item and the competition for those has gone up in recent years, it didn't sell out, so here's hoping the secondary market prices will be reasonable for those who are still looking to get one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, eXis10z said:

Is Manda the only way to get the super parts at this stage? 

Since the super parts set is a TWE release that required payment up front, odds are good that it will only show up on the secondary market. I'd keep an eye on Mandarake, Jungle, and Yahoo Japan. For the last one, it's generally easier to go through a proxy like FromJapan. I just ran a search there and a bunch of sets popped up from Yahoo Japan, Rakuten, and a few other stores.

I'm still waiting to hear from my proxy for the set I ordered. They recently sent out a note to customers saying that they're still dealing with a package processing backlog due to Golden Week. I'm guessing a lot of proxies are in the same position. It might be another week before I get a payment request for shipping.