Bandai VF-31AX Kairos Plus - Hayate Type

jvmacross

Boy I love fast shipping across the international dateline. :lol: 1128607976_ss(2022-02-16at11_32.05).png.bb6dc0705194f6116338161e8c63b84f.png

I actually misread this, thinking it had arrived in LA already, but sadly it just looks like a customs clearance update.

Also woo, Luna Park finally got around to my order.. now the wait begins to see if it arrives in one piece. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

I received my Luna Park order last week and finally have to chance take a look at it today..  Been super busy.. :unsure:

It was shipped by EMS in an Amazon japan box, but it was package ok, and every arrived is in excellent condition except for that clear plastic around the box. I just need to move that a bit to the left and all is good.    :yahoo:

There was even a LunaPark postcard similar to those AmiAmi ones and a small pack of Matcha flavor KitKat:p

IMG_1818.jpg.7004fb9618ed8339c0d482119a206e9e.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg.022f5d3d9fa98ac9435063870ed5e4e2.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg.e9ecf0d0d829ead6811db3d47dc867bd.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg.72414c1004540fed913b356e3c7b6696.jpg

44 minutes ago, Rein+ said:

OMG did they start putting food in the package? that's bad news for me because the customs here love to take apart package that have food/medicine in it.

They seem to have been putting in a single green tea KitKat recently. Got it in 2 of 3 things I bought from them.

22 hours ago, Rein+ said:

OMG did they start putting food in the package? that's bad news for me because the customs here love to take apart package that have food/medicine in it.

yeah. some stores toss in small snacks from time to time.   HLJ will also toss in some KitKat sometimes.    And OtakuMode sometimes give different snacks from Mario Gum, Kitkats, ,  white milk candy, etc.   So always open the shipping boxes when you received them ^_^.  

No Kitkat here, but they did pack my 31AX nicely with a decent amount of padding in a good box, so Luna Park and DHL both came through in this case at least.

Actual valk is about the same as my previous one, with a few variations.  One arm slider was so stiff I had to knock it loose by tapping it with a wrench, and the wing tabs needed a good sanding before they fit.  Overall arm fit actually looks better on this one, but it's also got the added detriment of one wing sitting at a significantly higher angle than the other when snapped into place.  

Urgh. :rolleyes:  Get it together Bandai.

I have to commend Luna Park on their after sales Customer Service. The first VF-31AX I received from them had one of the elbow joints stuck in place and couldn't be moved. It almost seemed like it was accidentally glued into place at the factory. I also didn't want to try disassembling it because the joint uses one of those pins that aren't meant to be pulled out. I tried applying the most force as I was comfortable with knowing how thin the elbow is, and it wouldn't budge even in the slightest. And because this joint wouldn't move, the arm couldn't be put in the exact position needed to have it sit flush in fighter mode.

Anyways, I informed Luna Park about the issue via their chat and asked if I could send it back and get a replacement. I am happy to say that they agreed. So after sending it back (I had to shoulder the shipping cost back to them), they were able to send me a replacement after a week. And I'm glad to say the new one I got no longer has the elbow joint issue.

My only gripe now is I can't seem to get the canopy to open. It's difficult to get a grip on it to pull it up from the sides. The only part where I'm able to squeeze my nail in is at the very front tip, but I don't want to pull it up from there at the risk of snapping the canopy. I've tried wiggling the canopy side to side to see if that loosens the hinge and allows me to pull it up, but it won't budge either. Anyone here experience difficulty with the canopy too? If so, any tips you can share to get it open?

12 minutes ago, jenius said:

Canopy is definitely hard to open the first time. Try lifting straight up at the back of the canopy.

Is there a place where I can grab it at the back? Can't seem to find any notches. I don't want to use a tool as I fear scratching the canopy or the paint.

2 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

Anyone here experience difficulty with the canopy too? If so, any tips you can share to get it open?

Use some grippy tape on the canopy and gently lift it up. Works every time when there’s no slack for fingernail and you don’t want to mess up the edges using blunt tools. May I suggest Gorilla brand? 😉

1 hour ago, Angesdad said:

Use some grippy tape on the canopy and gently lift it up. Works every time when there’s no slack for fingernail and you don’t want to mess up the edges using blunt tools. May I suggest Gorilla brand? 😉

THANK YOU! I used 3M Magic tape, but it did the trick! 😀

1 hour ago, Angesdad said:

Yeah I used tape to open the first time, shoved pilot in there, and will never open again 

3 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

I have to commend Luna Park on their after sales Customer Service. The first VF-31AX I received from them had one of the elbow joints stuck in place and couldn't be moved. It almost seemed like it was accidentally glued into place at the factory. I also didn't want to try disassembling it because the joint uses one of those pins that aren't meant to be pulled out. I tried applying the most force as I was comfortable with knowing how thin the elbow is, and it wouldn't budge even in the slightest. And because this joint wouldn't move, the arm couldn't be put in the exact position needed to have it sit flush in fighter mode.

Anyways, I informed Luna Park about the issue via their chat and asked if I could send it back and get a replacement. I am happy to say that they agreed. So after sending it back (I had to shoulder the shipping cost back to them), they were able to send me a replacement after a week. And I'm glad to say the new one I got no longer has the elbow joint issue.

My only gripe now is I can't seem to get the canopy to open. It's difficult to get a grip on it to pull it up from the sides. The only part where I'm able to squeeze my nail in is at the very front tip, but I don't want to pull it up from there at the risk of snapping the canopy. I've tried wiggling the canopy side to side to see if that loosens the hinge and allows me to pull it up, but it won't budge either. Anyone here experience difficulty with the canopy too? If so, any tips you can share to get it open?

At risk of damaging the finish I lifted from underneath the sides towards the middle of the canopy with my nails and it came open easily and there were no scratches. After moving it around some it was pretty easy to open from then on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!! So looks Im way too late on the AX news

Do you guys remember what was the release price?

I will have to look for one in the aftermarket but want to pay as minimum premium as possible

Thnks!

1 hour ago, RealJayDee said:

Hey guys!! So looks Im way too late on the AX news

Do you guys remember what was the release price?

I will have to look for one in the aftermarket but want to pay as minimum premium as possible

Thnks!

You wanna be late because the first release (AX Hayate) has tolerance/fitment issues and we're hoping for revisions implemented in the upcoming releases starting with Mirage. Still interested? - You can snag one from Mandarake for 30k (unopened) plus shipping.

Edited by Angesdad

22 minutes ago, Angesdad said:

You wanna be late because the first release (AX Hayate) has tolerance/fitment issues and we're hoping for revisions implemented in the upcoming releases starting with Mirage. Still interested? - You can snag one from Mandarake for 30k (unopened) plus shipping.

I sincerely doubt Mirage will have any corrections.  Bogue likely will not as well.

I'm going to be in the other camp, I think Mirage will be a much better toy. The AX wasn't off because it had design faults, it was off because of very small tolerance issues. I think Bandai can work that out and I'm sure they've been hearing it from local fans that it's not as nice a product as the VF-31. Bandai changed the nosecone on the DX VF-1 after the first release, it's not like they don't listen to feedback. My fingers are crossed. 

10 minutes ago, jenius said:

I'm going to be in the other camp, I think Mirage will be a much better toy. The AX wasn't off because it had design faults, it was off because of very small tolerance issues. I think Bandai can work that out and I'm sure they've been hearing it from local fans that it's not as nice a product as the VF-31. Bandai changed the nosecone on the DX VF-1 after the first release, it's not like they don't listen to feedback. My fingers are crossed. 

What was the length of time between the first and second DX releases?  Was the pre-order for the second up before the first was released?  I don’t remember the period of time between orders/releases? 

15 minutes ago, Mommar said:

What was the length of time between the first and second DX releases?  Was the pre-order for the second up before the first was released?  I don’t remember the period of time between orders/releases? 

I backtracked using Tamashii website. Preorder for VF-1J started July 2018 for a December 2018 release. Preorder for Max's VF-1A started April 2019 for a September 2019 release. 

That's four months between VF-1J release to VF-1A preorder. Nine months between releases. That's a good amount of time for them to fix between releases. Do you guys think that they have a good amount of time to fix Mirage's upcoming 31AX? Including Bogue's for that matter?

Also, besides the VF-1J nosecone tab, what were the other fixes that was on the VF-1A?

Edited by no3Ljm

In theory, changes like these can be implemented very quickly, certainly over a few weeks. I haven't spent a lot of time reviewing the problem but it seems like we're probably only talking about a couple parts that need very minor alteration. If they don't have a rep with close proximity to the factory it could take longer as things get shipped back for feedback. There's better odds that it was addressed if Bandai knew the problem with Hayate and started addressing them for Mirage before the customers started complaining. I think they knew...

The nosecone is the only thing I can recall needing attention on the DX VF-1 and it got it... unless you want to talk about bigger design issues like those removable legs. 

5 hours ago, MKT said:

I’m hoping the delay to Mirage’s AX release is due to Bandai implementing fixes. 

I think this is a good indicator that they are implementing some sort of change. Usually the Tamashii Nations don’t get delayed. At least in the lines I’m collecting.

14 hours ago, MKT said:

I’m hoping the delay to Mirage’s AX release is due to Bandai implementing fixes. 

8 hours ago, Scyla said:

I think this is a good indicator that they are implementing some sort of change. Usually the Tamashii Nations don’t get delayed. At least in the lines I’m collecting.

Let's hope that it is. Or maybe it's just purely delay to production restrictions due to the pandemic. The only time we're finding out if ever there was a fix from Bandai is during the week or two prior of its release thru their official website and other parties blog posts.

35 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Let's hope that it is. Or maybe it's just purely delay to production restrictions due to the pandemic. The only time we're finding out if ever there was a fix from Bandai is during the week or two prior of its release thru their official website and other parties blog posts.

Fingers crossed. Otherwise Mirage’s AX will continue to be, in @jenius’s final words on his review “this toy will always just be ‘so close to great’ that it will drive you nuts.” :unsure:

2 minutes ago, MKT said:

Fingers crossed. Otherwise Mirage’s AX will continue to be, in @jenius’s final words on his review “this toy will always just be ‘so close to great’ that it will drive you nuts.” :unsure:

Yup. With the 31AX origami engineering that they did on its arms, I wonder how the YF-21 will be like? Assuming that it's really going to get made. :unknw:

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Yup. With the 31AX origami engineering that they did on its arms, I wonder how the YF-21 will be like? Assuming that it's really going to get made. :unknw:

I'm still hoping they went back to the drawing board and are redesigning a significant portion of the YF-21 before moving to production.  I know people focused a lot on the bigger legs, but I still think that everything besides those looked significantly worse than the old Yamato mold, and it really didn't look good in any mode.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm still hoping they went back to the drawing board and are redesigning a significant portion of the YF-21 before moving to production.  I know people focused a lot on the bigger legs, but I still think that everything besides those looked significantly worse than the old Yamato mold, and it really didn't look good in any mode.

Yeah. This. And I’m sorry because this belongs in ‘what’s next for Arcadia’ but at this point I’d love for Arcadia to just take Yamato’s old mold and do some tweaks to it’s engineering like they’re so good at. There’s no way to make fighter mode look so sleek and awesome like Yamato did with big thick legs. But it’s not like the engines are in the legs anyways. The legs of the 21 & 22 are just there for more standing and walking support and not actual vectoring devices like all the other VFs. That’s what makes the YF-21 and VF-22 stand out. Let it be what it is and like it or don’t. 

True enough, it's pretty easy to shove this back on topic though.

I do hope they managed to get Mirage's release fixed compared with Hayate's, though in the grand scheme of things, I believe the 31AX was the only fouled up Bandai release I have that I was able to fix myself without destroying it.

Annoying as they are, most of the flaws on that release are able to be addressed without having to disassemble significant portions of the valk.