Could 80's city pop still work for future Macross shows/movies?

Invid99

• Invid99 changed the title to Could 80's city pop still work for future Macross shows/movies?
  • 3 months later...

It both would work and wouldn't.

City pop has been being rediscovered since mid 10's and that retro sound, along with related styles, like future funk, is very liked and appreciated now. Go check Plastic Love views on Youtube. City pop would be great in a new Macross show from the music nerd point of view.

On the other hand, Macross is all about Japanese style idols and nowadays they are always associated with a certain kind of music (think Frontier and Delta songs) and changing this to something different wouldn't fly with Japanese fans. I doubt whoever makes a new Macross show is ready to do something new and risky. Last time they did that was Macross Plus. Does Plus have nice music? Hell yes! Is it popular? Nope, it's all but forgotten.

Japanese vote Oboete Imasu ka as the best Macross song part because it's good, part because it's iconic, part because nostalgia. Give them another similar song and they would say "Huh, it's good" but then forget about it.

Edited by uzernaem

3 hours ago, uzernaem said:

It both would work and wouldn't.

City pop has been being rediscovered since mid 10's and that retro sound, along with related styles, like future funk, is very liked and appreciated now. Go check Plastic Love views on Youtube. City pop would be great in a new Macross show from the music nerd point of view.

On the other hand, Macross is all about Japanese style idols and nowadays they are always associated with a certain kind of music (think Frontier and Delta songs) and changing this to something different wouldn't fly with Japanese fans. I doubt whoever makes a new Macross show is ready to do something new and risky. Last time they did that was Macross Plus. Does Plus have nice music? Hell yes! Is it popular? Nope, it's all but forgotten.

Japanese vote Oboete Imasu ka as the best Macross song part because it's good, part because it's iconic, part because nostalgia. Give them another similar song and they would say "Huh, it's good" but then forget about it.

I vote yes, yes it would 

Here'a what I'd really like to see though. Literally Daoko as a Basara/Hayato hybrid character that dances & raps in a valkyrie on the battlefield, hypnotizing enemies & allies alike into joining her as backup dancers ala "Space Channel 5."

Come on Kawamori, accept this challenge!

Edited by Keith