New Robotech Blu-ray coming soon from Funimation

1 hour ago, claude grant said:

Nice!  I hope it's remastered.

It is. There’s a scene comparison over in the Movies and TV forum. The Funimation remaster looks nice for what it is, being based on HG’s 16mm source. It does look different when compared to the Japanese HD remaster of Macross but I’m okay with that. I’m more concerned with the final bitrate of the discs and whether or not the original unmodified Robotech dub track will be included.

I guess, while I'm impressed with the quality of the restoration of the footage, my issue is on 2 fronts. 1) Please do not use the "updated" audio, or at least present the option of the original. 2) Why are we going Blu-ray when the format I'd much rather have would be 4K? 

This is what I was waiting for. I'll get them as separate releases. Not that big box set. I agree with others that the original audio needs to be there. I can't put up with that terrible new audio mix.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:10 PM, Hikuro said:

I guess, while I'm impressed with the quality of the restoration of the footage, my issue is on 2 fronts. 1) Please do not use the "updated" audio, or at least present the option of the original. 2) Why are we going Blu-ray when the format I'd much rather have would be 4K? 

Honestly, the reason for 1080p BluRay is practical business.

It would be nice if there was also a 2160p release, but I don't think there's enough market demand to create and ship two versions. And the market penetration of UHD players isn't high enough for a UHD-only release of a niche anime-adjacent production to make sense. Disappointing to be sure, but understandable.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they only have 1080p scans to work with due to shortsighted decisions made during the last remastering, and not enough cash on the project to rescan at 2160 lines* and clean and restore everything again.

*(or scan at a forward-looking 4320 lines, like they probably should have done last time)

There will be no excuse for using the hacked audio with mangled sound effects, though!

Edited by JB0

38 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

What's with the "worn-out" look of the packaging......no one watches Robotech that much so they needed to fake it? :huh:

😄

I've seen it on some smaller box sets that were designed to look live old VHS tapes. That kinda make sense and added some charm. On these, it just looks dumb.

The collector's edition set is hilariously huge.

I assume these all have the new sound effects track, which is an instant pass for me.

7 minutes ago, danth said:

😄

I've seen it on some smaller box sets that were designed to look live old VHS tapes. That kinda make sense and added some charm. On these, it just looks dumb.

The collector's edition set is hilariously huge.

I assume these all have the new sound effects track, which is an instant pass for me.

I don't know about the soundtrack and that makes me somewhat anxious.

The old ADV Robotech Legacy DVD box sets have a single Dolby Digital 2.0 track using original effects. The new Blu-rays have two Dolby TrueHD tracks per Funimation's site, one 2.0 and the other 5.1. I would think that any 5.1 track will have the new effects. What I'm curious about is the 2.0 track. I'm hoping it uses the original effects like the old Dolby Digital 2.0 track from the ADV DVDs but I can't find anything that confirms this. Sadly, there is no mono track.

I'm in the camp that thinks the faded edge artwork looks better on newer shows trying to pass as retro, like Stranger Things. The same look on actual shows from the 1970s or 1980s seems redundant. I would have rather seen some classic artwork on the box and/or slip cover, similar to the art that Funimation is using on the Blu-ray discs themselves.

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

now that HG made peace, is it cool to like robotech again?:unsure:

I had all kinds of semi-clever things to say, but the answer is No...;)

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2021 at 8:53 AM, technoblue said:

I don't know about the soundtrack and that makes me somewhat anxious.

The old ADV Robotech Legacy DVD box sets have a single Dolby Digital 2.0 track using original effects. The new Blu-rays have two Dolby TrueHD tracks per Funimation's site, one 2.0 and the other 5.1. I would think that any 5.1 track will have the new effects. What I'm curious about is the 2.0 track. I'm hoping it uses the original effects like the old Dolby Digital 2.0 track from the ADV DVDs but I can't find anything that confirms this. Sadly, there is no mono track.

I'm in the camp that thinks the faded edge artwork looks better on newer shows trying to pass as retro, like Stranger Things. The same look on actual shows from the 1970s or 1980s seems redundant. I would have rather seen some classic artwork on the box and/or slip cover, similar to the art that Funimation is using on the Blu-ray discs themselves.

Yes I do hope that these sets have the option for the 1985 experience. I do not like the Remix audio or video additions at all on Robotech.

Also I hope this means we are getting a new MOSPEADA Blu Ray set!!

1 hour ago, Hoptimus said:

Yes I do hope that these sets have the option for the 1985 experience. I do not like the Remix audio or video additions at all on Robotech.

Also I hope this means we are getting a new MOSPEADA Blu Ray set!!

I’m also in the same boat. The original SFX from Macross is what is nostalgic about Robotech. The new SFX that Harmony Gold used when they remixed takes away a great deal of the nostalgia. 

I can confirm the new Robotech release on the Funimation streaming platform does not have the original mix so it I was most likely restored from the remix film source. I’d need to watch a bit more to confirm if the additional scenes are included in ep 1.

There could be a chance the stereo on Funimation streaming is just a down mix of the surround.

10 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

I’m also in the same boat. The original SFX from Macross is what is nostalgic about Robotech. The new SFX that Harmony Gold used when they remixed takes away a great deal of the nostalgia. 

I can confirm the new Robotech release on the Funimation streaming platform does not have the original mix so it I was most likely restored from the remix film source. I’d need to watch a bit more to confirm if the additional scenes are included in ep 1.

There could be a chance the stereo on Funimation streaming is just a down mix of the surround.

Aw shucks. That's a downer. I'm back on the wait and see side for picking up the blu-ray now. 

Robotech: Giving the fans what they want since... ummm... hang on, we'll get back to you.

Seriously, it is completely inexcusable that they're pulling a Star Wars and refusing to release "real Robotech" and forcing people to settle for the version with scenes that weren't there and sounds that weren't used.

1 minute ago, Podtastic said:

Changing the Zentraedi walking sound was unforgiveable.

The walking sound, the gunpod sound, the theme music, various incidental sound effects... ugh :aggressive:

Between HG and PB, I've decided that the best Robotech is the one in my mind.  The actual products* can go take a hike!

*KitzConcepts toys/figures excepted

15 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

I decided that back in the 80's.

I decided Macross myself, but you know!

What honestly doesn't make sense is that with the new playing nice going on, HG & or Funi should be able to request a new copy of the SFX track from Big West for a reasonable fee.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, TangledThorns said:

Wake me up whenever the series is rebooted or has new content. I've seen the original soooo many times.

Wake me up before you go-go, don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo. Wake me up before you go-go, I don't want to miss it when you hit that high.

Oh, sorry! I was listening to 80's music!