Zeta Gundam Wave Rider- Valkyrie

Shawn

Stupid thought, but thought I would share my madness here a bit

So this auction was around for quite a while...just a simple Hasegawa VE-1...they listed it with the box art upside down.
From this angle I thought 'that sure looks like a Zeta Gundam Wave Rider and then went ...huh'

image.thumb.png.042fc8a1eb797f5487f55b87f5f02bd9.png

Then this showed up, mis-transformed, and I went 'huh' again.
image.thumb.png.9f25ebbb76fefaca2f020faf3502b615.png

Like I said...stupid thoughts!

image.thumb.png.9f8ee042bc1d64818cf35b47e60587b0.png

:)

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Can't unsee.

+1 

not sure if it's good or bad, but I'm pleased to find out my brain isn't the only one that walks off on a tangent like that sometimes!

IIRC, at least from what someone or another stated here to me, the Zeta was directly inspired by and an homage to the VF-1.

I've always found the Zeta/Delta/ReZel transformations weird, how the legs are so high up like that. I appreciated that on the VF-1 the legs form a contiguous shape with the arms to form a solid-looking fuselage; they're not just dangling in the open, flopping around. So imagine my surprise when I realized that the Super variants partially "transform" their legs and do indeed sort of dangle in the open, flopping around. :lol:

On 6/16/2021 at 5:40 AM, kajnrig said:

IIRC, at least from what someone or another stated here to me, the Zeta was directly inspired by and an homage to the VF-1.

I've always found the Zeta/Delta/ReZel transformations weird, how the legs are so high up like that. I appreciated that on the VF-1 the legs form a contiguous shape with the arms to form a solid-looking fuselage; they're not just dangling in the open, flopping around. So imagine my surprise when I realized that the Super variants partially "transform" their legs and do indeed sort of dangle in the open, flopping around. :lol:

For more "solid" takes on the Waverider concept, just look at some of the SRW designs (R-Wing) or Virtual On's Cypher Motortrasher mode. The Virtual On transformable Viper versions and the later Myzr designs are more Valkyrie-like (often with color schemes that Fire Bomber would love and lots of spiky bits).

46 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Well... when I built my custom valk, it was a Zeta Plus that was the basis for the framework (I modded the daylights out of it):

100_7764.thumb.JPG.2fdf6cb7e687d263d64f76492dc8c94f.JPG100_0706.thumb.JPG.ce05c701c45933b34b771c3c2378768f.JPG

Dang, didn't know a Zeta Plus could make a valk this nice! Regarding transforming mecha in Gundam, I usually found them pretty odd tbh. The best looking plane modes for me were always the Zeta Plus series and the Airmaster from X (which is one of my favorite alternate universes). 

On 6/15/2021 at 4:20 PM, Shawn said:

Stupid thought, but thought I would share my madness here a bit

So this auction was around for quite a while...just a simple Hasegawa VE-1...they listed it with the box art upside down.
From this angle I thought 'that sure looks like a Zeta Gundam Wave Rider and then went ...huh'

So, funny story... that's probably not coincidental.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:40 PM, kajnrig said:

Yeah, the Macross 10th anniversary feature in B-Club Magazine listed the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam among the designs in 80's mecha anime that drew inspiration from Macross and the VF-1 Valkyrie.

On 6/15/2021 at 7:03 PM, JB0 said:

I think you've uncovered a huge conspiracy here! How deep does this go?

All the way down...

3 hours ago, Biomaster said:

Dang, didn't know a Zeta Plus could make a valk this nice! Regarding transforming mecha in Gundam, I usually found them pretty odd tbh. The best looking plane modes for me were always the Zeta Plus series and the Airmaster from X (which is one of my favorite alternate universes). 

To be fair, the entire Zeta Plus series was basically Gundam saying to the Zeta "Why can't you be more like your father, Valkyrie?".

Edited by Seto Kaiba