What Zentraedi vechicles and ships are based of (fan site)

Invid99

• Invid99 changed the title to What Zentraedi vechicles and ships are based of
2 hours ago, JB0 said:

Oh no... that's Brofessor's site.

Ugh, Brofessor.
So, the idea that Zentraedi ships are based on sea creatures, whales especially, isn't that crazy an idea.  Even the Croc example could be where the inspiration for the ship's overall shapes came from.  Where it goes off the rails is with the Power Armors.  Sure, they have some decidedly "masculine" and "feminine" features, but that is likely more due to their need to quickly differentiate them on a small screen.  This theory also does not account for the Meltrandi Ships seen in DYRL and onwards, which had a decidedly more burtalist, hard lines and edges, appearance to them.  

Brofessor likes to look at things from a particular angle, a particularly modern angle, that doesn't necessarily represent the reality of the time in which the series was created.  It is a failing of many young academics, in that they cannot remove themselves from the modern way of thinking to look at a subject from the time period in which was created.  So much societal change has occurred between the inception of Macross and today, that adjusting ones thinking to fit the time and understanding the thinking of the time is almost akin to looking back 100 years or more.  I say that, and I grew up in that time.,

7 hours ago, Invid99 said:

Found a great site that analyzed vehicles and events from SDFM. Here are some screenshot mostly of Zentraedis.

[...]

Here is the site:

https://superdimensionalanalysis.com/a-robotech-macross-photo-essay/

Ah, no... what you found there is Brofessor's site, and it's pretty damned far from "great".

To be brutally frank, it's incredibly pretentious and almost entirely unresearched faux-academic garbage that would have to improve considerably before I could call it a travesty.

Its author knows precious little about Macross and even less about film theory, but is desperate to make himself out to be an expert on both.  Since he can't read Japanese and do actual research on the subject matter, he instead tries to add a superficial appearance of depth to his "analysis" by throwing around film analysis terminology willy-nilly without any actual knowledge of what the terms he's using mean and ascribing deep, hidden meanings to ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

He seems to have taken W.C. Fields to heart: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t."

When it comes to his "analysis" of what Zentradi designs were based on, not only is he wrong but his analysis was nothing more than taking the knowledge that Zentradi designs had a basis in the organic and then attributing it to the first living thing he could think of that bore a vague resemblance.

The Regult, for instance, is actually based on an earlier reverse-jointed walker design from an unrealized hard sci-fi series concept with the working title Genocidas.  The design that was done for Genocidas was not organically inspired, but was an attempt to make what they felt would be a more practical and realistic ambulatory design for a giant robot.  It was built on in Macross both as the VF-1's GERWALK mode and the basis for Zentradi pods, the latter of which started out as a sort of walking gun turret before taking on more organic aesthetics.

5 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I read through that page a few days ago, you have to be like high on weed to understand it

It reminds me of nothing so much as a college student throwing a bunch of random garbage on an essay an hour before it's due in the hopes that the professor will grade it without actually reading it at any point.

• azrael changed the title to What Zentraedi vechicles and ships are based of (fan site)
  • 4 months later...

Attention class. The Brofessor is giving you all detention. :)

I totally agree with all your opinions. I do not claim the creators of Macross were inspired by the images I present. I am just exploring media literacy and the human subconscious and how Macross iconography may have connected with us viewers on the level of our reptilian brains so to speak.

I also admit to being an amateur academic. My website is just a rough draft or first attempt at a scholarly analysis of Macross. I would love to read a professional research paper or thesis presentation about Macross. I assume they are out there and maybe written in Japanese. I assume some academic journals about Anime must contain some fun reads about Macross. Hope you are all well.

9 hours ago, Brofessor said:

Y'know, for you to even pretend to behave like an educator even in jest is an enormous slur on the professional conduct of everyone here who is, or has been, an actual educator.

9 hours ago, Brofessor said:

I totally agree with all your opinions. I do not claim the creators of Macross were inspired by the images I present. I am just exploring media literacy and the human subconscious and how Macross iconography may have connected with us viewers on the level of our reptilian brains so to speak.

Really, the only response that would truly do justice to what you've done is Jim Downey's line to Adam Sandler in the last part of the Academic Decathlon scene from Billy Madison.

There is nothing in what you've said or done that bears even the slightest superficial resemblance to good academic practice.  It's thoroughly obvious that it's just pretentious faux-academic garbage.

On 10/18/2021 at 1:59 PM, Brofessor said:

The only thing you're giving me is a migraine.

Brofessor, you are impossible to underestimate...

I also admit to being an amateur academic. My website is just a rough draft or first attempt at a scholarly analysis of Macross. I would love to read a professional research paper or thesis presentation about Macross. I assume they are out there and maybe written in Japanese. I assume some academic journals about Anime must contain some fun reads about Macross. Hope you are all well.

Educated well beyond your intellect, sir? Please, do receive my most sincere indifference.

• azrael locked this topic