Getting what we want... a GOOD quality resin kit

Less than Super Ostrich

My fellow modelers out there have the same frustration I do about the more obscure Macross models out there. Hard to find and VERY expensive. We are left at the whim of guys like Tanmen with the best intentions, but some of the worst marketing skills.

However, now I think we may have something to cheer about. As many of you know SMT (Scale Model Technologies) may be putting together a Macross Monster based on Gundamhead's Scratchbuilt Monster. I really hope its true. More importantly, I hope SMT gets enough orders that they rethink their strategy and continue to make Macross models. I have to think that if they do well enough, perhaps they would expand the product line-up. So BUY THE MONSTER!!!! and then write them letters saying how great that they are making Macross stuff. Finally, perhaps we could commission some work by organizing something on the MW boards. If we could get Alfred Wong (one of the main designers of SMT's models) to work on some original Macross pieces, then we would have some model kits that would make Tanmen smile!

Take a look at SMT's website for some of their stuff. They had a wonderful array of Star Wars products, but were slapped with a Cease and Desist order by Lucasfilms on copyright issues. They were some of SMT's best stuff!

http://smt.theshoppe.com/

The price and quality ratio on thier producs are unbeatable. But the turn around rate is horrid. I also strongly disagree with taking money before product is made. That is why I avoid asking for money upfront myself. I wish they would take preorders and wait to take payment untill the product is readdy.

So BUY THE MONSTER!!!! and then write them letters saying how great that they are making Macross stuff. Finally, perhaps we could commission some work by organizing something on the MW boards. If we could get Alfred Wong (one of the main designers of SMT's models) to work on some original Macross pieces, then we would have some model kits that would make Tanmen smile!

I will buy the monster if it is a 1/72 scale only ( I read about SMT doing a 1/100).

I think their line is great and the Star Wars was superb but they should mix their repertoir a little. Macross is definitively a good option but unlikely to bring a lot of bucks for them.

Instead of cutting them off, Lucas F should have made a deal with them.

We can only hope on Macross..

Instead of cutting them off, Lucas F should have made a deal with them.

We can only hope on Macross..

I really like the monster in 1/100... the only one I have is that from the pencil sharpners.

I wonder how they would avoid HG doing the same thing than Lucas.

Macross is a really good choice for them but I was about to send them an email asking for Invader Zim spaceship models (some of the Irken ships could be put into a Macross series almost seamlessly... )

...send them an email asking for Invader Zim spaceship models (some of the Irken ships could be put into a Macross series almost seamlessly... )

the zentraedi had a big enough problem dealing with emotions... I somehow think that zim would be enouh to send them running for cover... especially if he was on their side :lol:

I could just see "grrr goes crazy and stuff"... or was it "invasion of idiot dog brain"... where instead of grrr's brain being swapped with the house it was swapped with the SDF-1's core proccessor. How would the zen cope with an erratic sdf-1 demanding taco's?????? Especially since most of their ships looked like guacamole covered buritto's

" uhm... It appears that the sdf-1 is trying to consume us lord kyron sir... ":blink:

in regards to "how they would avoid HG doing the same thing than Lucas." If they simply never said the "robotech" word and claimed they were making toys for export only [so we buy from monkey despite the stuff sitting in kev's warehouse] I don't think it would be a problem. The key is not breaking the laws but bending them as far as possible ;)

in regards to "how they would avoid HG doing the same thing than Lucas." If they simply never said the "robotech" word and claimed they were making toys for export only [so we buy from monkey despite the stuff sitting in kev's warehouse] I don't think it would be a problem. The key is not breaking the laws but bending them as far as possible ;)

You said it. If you look, the "Betty" they did was the ship from Aliens 4 Resurrection. Of course, you never see the word Aliens in the description.

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

Kanata,

I'm still laughing just thinking about GIR's brain controlling the SDF and eating the flying cucumbers!!

BTW: I would love to scratch build the Massive or Zim's ship (seems to be quite simple) but I can't find any decent pics of them (I've found the original character's models that are terrific but no ships neither mechs)

Concerning the copyright issues: it's that simple? I saw all the kits they have with nick names and some of them are never depicted completed (like the Galactica's Viper) . Maybe just selling the kit parts is a good way to avoid that...But I think that no mentioning the Macross or RT names won't stop the vultures from HG.

You said it. If you look, the "Betty" they did was the ship from Aliens 4 Resurrection. Of course, you never see the word Aliens in the description.

For those of you who are interested, StarshipModeler has an online build article showing how the master of the Betty was made by Alfred Wong.

Betty Online Build

Great stuff B))

Edited by Mule

Slapping SMT with a Cease and Desist order is just ludicrous. Why not just hire them for a part-time/full-time basis for future projects or is this a case of big guy crushing the little guy to pulp?

Yes due to the 1/48th Falcon that was planned. Code 3 got upset becasues they were releasing a Falcon of their own. Funny thing is both scales never matched. So one would NOT compete with the other. But they ran to Lucas's laywers and next thing is the C&D. Lucas's people and ILM knew about SMT for a while but never said anything. When Code 3 got pissy then they HAD to do something. Word is even ILM'ers have bought SW stuff from SMT.

Back on topic... do you think it would be wise to put together a Wish list for SMT and give them a size order that makes it worth their while? I don't know what that number is, but I suppose we could talk to them. I guess what I'm envisioning is telling them we have a 30+ piece order for a certain piece (use the Monster for example). Then they know that it would be worth their while to try the project. I'm not sure how the money would work, but I suppose a 25% down payment would be appropriate.

This is just a guess... tell me what you think

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.  B))

Sure why not? Lets see if Wong could do it. I'd trust him more than anyone else.

Lets get a list of wants. Then we present it to them andtake it from there. ;)

I think the Monster is an amazingly great start. Maybe the scale is off, but I think a 1/100 scale is stil ALOT of resin.I think we should push the Monster, so they know to focus on this product... get the molds ready and start production.

Jesse... you think we could put together an order list (I hate to ask this in light of the Tanmen fiasco)?

My other wish is a fully armored battroid. Maybe a YF-19 or VF-11 just to be different.

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.  B))

Sure why not? Lets see if Wong could do it. I'd trust him more than anyone else.

Lets get a list of wants. Then we present it to them andtake it from there. ;)

I think the Monster is an amazingly great start. Maybe the scale is off, but I think a 1/100 scale is stil ALOT of resin.I think we should push the Monster, so they know to focus on this product... get the molds ready and start production.

Jesse... you think we could put together an order list (I hate to ask this in light of the Tanmen fiasco)?

My other wish is a fully armored battroid. Maybe a YF-19 or VF-11 just to be different.

Great idea LTSO!

I sent an email today to SMT. It basically said that I wanted permission to put together a "order list" for the monster when it's finished. I told them that I thought there would be a good deal of interest, in my opinion. My thought is if we can get enough orders, then they will prioritize the project and get it to us sooner than later. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

I'm kind of excited here. I wrote SMT and they seem interested in hearing what we want. Here is the note I sent to SMT:

> I have talked with several members of the macrossworld forum, and we were

> thinking of putting together an order list for the item... I know the

> project is not even official yet, but I was thinking we could give you an

> idea on how many orders you could get on this item. I thought this might

> provide some incentive for you to work on this project. Do you think that

> is appropriate? If so, let me know so I can communicate this to the folks

> on the forum. If not, no problem. There is just a lot of folks who are

> VERY excited about the project.

>

> Thanks again,

> Brian

This is the note they sent back:

> Hello Brian, by all means. All input is welcome. The Destroid will be up

> with pictures very soon so hang in there. Also other Macross or Mech suit

> ideas are welcome. WE don't know what folks want unless they tell us :)

> Sincerely, Colin Omilusik

> Scale Model Technologies

> www.smt.theshoppe.com

I'm kind of excited here. I wrote SMT and they seem interested in hearing what we want. Here is the note I sent to SMT:

> I have talked with several members of the macrossworld forum, and we were

> thinking of putting together an order list for the item... I know the

> project is not even official yet, but I was thinking we could give you an

> idea on how many orders you could get on this item. I thought this might

> provide some incentive for you to work on this project. Do you think that

> is appropriate? If so, let me know so I can communicate this to the folks

> on the forum. If not, no problem. There is just a lot of folks who are

> VERY excited about the project.

>

> Thanks again,

> Brian

This is the note they sent back:

> Hello Brian, by all means. All input is welcome. The Destroid will be up

> with pictures very soon so hang in there. Also other Macross or Mech suit

> ideas are welcome. WE don't know what folks want unless they tell us :)

> Sincerely, Colin Omilusik

> Scale Model Technologies

> www.smt.theshoppe.com

now you got me all excited ass well :rolleyes:

lets make that wish list.

Thats so cool that they responded....hopefully they don't get whormoney going after them about another license thing...

As for the order...they are probably easier to deal with then Tanmen (they are in the US, no?) Considering local, and no language barrier it may be easier for them to deal with us one at a time, but if we think it would be beneficial to do a mass order I am happy to help.

Another thought...whats the 1 thing we want to request them to do....it seems that they are willing to take ideas...we might carry more weight if we could say something like "we all talked and voted and we would like XYZ. " If we could tell them how many orders they could expect that would probably help even more. Finally, when thinking about this, we should try for something that we think would be popular. If they dont get any sales from our idea and lose money, they are less likely to do more Macross stuff.

So, to recap...drop in your ideas...they should be:

1 Popular

2 Realistic (no 1/48 Monsters please! ) :)

3 Cost effective (see 2) ;)

My first ideas (in order)

1 1/72 Valkyrie Booster (fits Hasegawa kits...)

2 1/48 Fan Racer

3 1/60 Glaug

thoughts?

They are actually based out of Canada. I believe the Mr. Wong is kind of an Animepobe too. It would be nice to have the masters done in amore refined manner than Mr. Wond usually does for these kits. It not a dig at him as much as at the "professional" approach he takes at the masters. He builds them to the film and televion standards that he work in. Model patterns need to be cleaner and sharper than that.

• 12 years later...

If I had a top 5 List for Resin Macross:

1/72 VF-17 + fastpacks

1/72 VF-171/171EX + fastpacks/weapons

1/72 Battlepods (all of them, really)

1/72 Queadluun Rau

and UNS ships like the Uraga, Stealth frigate, Stealth Carrier, Battle7, Macross Quarter etc. in-scale with the Hase SDF-1

and I'm still willing to do horrible things to get a set of Mac+ fastpacks for the Hase YF-19......

If I had a top 5 List for Resin Macross:

1/72 VF-17 + fastpacks

1/72 VF-171/171EX + fastpacks/weapons

1/72 Battlepods (all of them, really)

1/72 Queadluun Rau

and UNS ships like the Uraga, Stealth frigate, Stealth Carrier, Battle7, Macross Quarter etc. in-scale with the Hase SDF-1

and I'm still willing to do horrible things to get a set of Mac+ fastpacks for the Hase YF-19......

Definitely

And some Zent footsoldiers

Edited by NZEOD

Personally, I think that battle pods are more than worthy of a plastic kit series, especially with their modular nature (like the Wave Destroids). With the generally higher cost of resin kits, I'd prefer a series of battle pods kits that ran in the $30 range (or $50 if it was Wave!) so I could buy a half dozen or so.

if someone can scrounge up the cash and purchase the masters for Capt. America's Battlepods, I'll pay the extra money demanded by a labor-of-love garage resin kit!