1/55 GBP Takatoku/Matsushiro/Bandai Release List?

MWUser

I checked over the mailn Macross Toy Releases thread stickied and was trying to put together a list of the various 1/55 scale Takatoku/Matsushiro/Bandai GBP* releases (both: bundles with figures and stand alone releases) with pictures of each release, and was not able to make much progress.
Would anyone already have a list of the various 1/55 scale Takatoku/Matsushiro/Bandai GBP releases with pictures of each release or can at least point me in the right direction to such a list preferably with pictures of each of the releases?
For reference, I am trying to put together a timeline of the 1/55 scale Takatoku/Matsushiro/Bandai GBP releases with pictures of each release beginning from the original release all the way through the various reissues up to the most recent reissue.

*Side note:  What does GBP officially stand for? For reference, I've seen it listed as standing for Ground Battle Protector and Grenade Box Protection.

Edited by MWUser

9 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

This is more of a 1/55 question so I don't think it needs another thread for it. :unknw:

Anyways, as for the list, @jenius has a compilation in his Scorched Earth Toys site. In case you're not following his reviews, here's the link: http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=6244

I already took a look at that website, and specifically that same webpage linked; and did not see a specific section focusing on GBP releases (both: releases with figure and stand alone releases).
I also looked through parts of that 1/55 thread linked without finidng a comprehensive complete answer to my question.
Consequently, having this question in it's own topic is useful in order to have the complete answer/information readily available via topic searching as opposed to buried on some nth page in some general 1/55 thread.

That being said, would anyone already have a list of the various 1/55 scale Takatoku/Matsushiro/Bandai GBP releases with pictures of each release or can at least point me in the right direction to such a list preferably with pictures of each of the releases?

Edited by MWUser

I think everyone is talking around the answer. The answer is that there are only two releases, the standalone Takatoku 1/55 GBP armor and the VF-1S GBP-1S Giftset. Matsuhiro never made a gray market version and Bandai never made reissues. Pretty sure "grenade box protection" is the canon Macross name. 

• MWUser changed the title to 1/55 GBP Takatoku/Matsushiro/Bandai Release List?
3 hours ago, jenius said:

...and Bandai never made reissues.

I came across this post on your site several years ago and it answered a longstanding question for me about why the 1/55 GBP has never been reissued:

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=358

"The molds for this item have apparently been lost.  I’m not exactly capable of fact-checking how it happened but I’ve heard that they were on board a boat that sank and I’ve also heard they were pitted from being improperly stored (in much the same manner Matchbox or Playmates lost the molds for its Robotech line).  This means that Bandai won’t be reissuing the chunky GBP."

The first explanation is far more dramatic, but I'm guessing that the second is far more likely.

8 hours ago, jenius said:

I think everyone is talking around the answer. The answer is that there are only two releases, the standalone Takatoku 1/55 GBP armor and the VF-1S GBP-1S Giftset. Matsuhiro never made a gray market version and Bandai never made reissues. Pretty sure "grenade box protection" is the canon Macross name. 

Ah, ok that clears up why I couldn't find any information on 1/55 Matsushiro releases - because there weren't any 1/55 Matsushiro releases, and consequently no 1/55 Matsushiro reissues.
Oh, this also clears up why I couldn't find any information on 1/55 Bandai reissues - because there weren't any Bandai reissues.

4 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I came across this post on your site several years ago and it answered a longstanding question for me about why the 1/55 GBP has never been reissued:

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=358

"The molds for this item have apparently been lost.  I’m not exactly capable of fact-checking how it happened but I’ve heard that they were on board a boat that sank and I’ve also heard they were pitted from being improperly stored (in much the same manner Matchbox or Playmates lost the molds for its Robotech line).  This means that Bandai won’t be reissuing the chunky GBP."

The first explanation is far more dramatic, but I'm guessing that the second is far more likely.

Has this claim since been verified anywhere? Either by Takatoku/Matsushiro past public statement or Bandai past public statement?
I'm sure at Bandai hosted Macross themed events, such as figure announcement events/release events, Bandai has probably been asked about this in the past (likely in Q&A sessions).

Edited by MWUser

9 hours ago, MWUser said:

Ah, ok that clears up why I couldn't find any information on 1/55 Matsushiro releases - because there weren't any 1/55 Matsushiro releases, and consequently no 1/55 Matsushiro reissues.
Oh, this also clears up why I couldn't find any information on 1/55 Bandai reissues - because there weren't any Bandai reissues.

Has this claim since been verified anywhere? Either by Takatoku/Matsushiro past public statement or Bandai past public statement?
I'm sure at Bandai hosted Macross themed events, such as figure announcement events/release events, Bandai has probably been asked about this in the past (likely in Q&A sessions).

Not that I have found anywhere, but the GBP set is conspicuously absent from the reissue lineup and I can't fathom a reason why Bandai wouldn't have reissued the set if they still had usable molds. Maybe they don't even know what happened to the molds, as I don't think Bandai ever did their own release.

3 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Not that I have found anywhere, but the GBP set is conspicuously absent from the reissue lineup and I can't fathom a reason why Bandai wouldn't have reissued the set if they still had usable molds. Maybe they don't even know what happened to the molds, as I don't think Bandai ever did their own release.

This could be the reason but maybe sales figures were too low and Bandai decided not to make them. And possibly the same for VE-1 and VT-1.

On 6/4/2021 at 2:05 AM, jenius said:

The original Takatoku VF-1 molds were ruined after their Matsuhiro runs so it's possible the GBP mold just didn't last from normal wear. Bandai recreated the molds for their later reissues. 

I'm aware that Bandai recreated the GBP molds for other scales: 1/100 (Hi Metal R) and 1/48 (DX Chogokin) [to be released]; but to be clear, was there ever confirmation they recreated a new GBP mold for the 1/55 scale?

There was an indication during the time the 1/55 Origin of Valkyrie (OoV) line was being released that there would be a chance for a GBP reissue (either stand alone GBP or GBP+figure set) as part of the OoV release lineup, but it seems that GBP reissue via OoV release did not come to realization.
Would anyone know what cut short this possible GBP reissue via the Origin of Valkyrie release lineup?

Edited by MWUser