Which VF-1S color scheme is more iconic: Hikaru TV/Roy or Hikaru DYRL?

uzernaem

Which VF-1S color scheme is more iconic: Hikaru TV/Roy or Hikaru DYRL?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which VF-1S color scheme is more iconic: Hikaru TV/Roy or Hikaru DYRL?

• Hikaru TV/Roy (yellow)
    • Hikaru DYRL (red)

I think this is a tough question.

Roy VF-1S is the original one, inspired by the real life VF-84 squadron. The only one to appear in the TV series. Immortalized by Takani artwork. The original 1/55 VF-1S made by Takatoku as opposed to Bandai. Is better known by Western fans, for obvious reasons.

Hikaru DYRL VF-1S, a hero of DYRL, a superior quality production. Not tarnished by a certain anime compilation TV show. This, along with the fact that it's 1/55 toy wasn't rereleased in 2000's gives it a more "elite" status among the fans. In my opinion looks better with strike parts than Roy ever did.

What's your choice?

Definitely Roy's.

Hikaru's VF-1S only shows up for a couple minutes and basically never appears again after that except in video games.

Roy's VF-1S is basically the VF-1S and inspires paintjobs for a variety of later VF models including the VF-1JR, VF-25, and a DX for the YF-29.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Definitely Roy's.

Hikaru's VF-1S only shows up for a couple minutes and basically never appears again after that except in video games.

Roy's VF-1S is basically the VF-1S and inspires paintjobs for a variety of later VF models including the VF-1JR, VF-25, and a DX for the YF-29.

It's the original Skull-One. Everyone who saw RT in the 80's knew of that one.

On 5/31/2021 at 1:43 PM, pengbuzz said:

It's the original Skull-One.

It's not just that. Roy was a fan favorite character and was/is famed in-universe enough for the military to have named a medal after him.  It's not surprising his is the one that's constantly referenced.

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's not just that. Roy was a fan favorite character and was/is famed in-universe enough for the military to have named a medal after him.  It's not surprising his is the one that's constantly referenced.

Didn't know about the medal; good points all though.

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Didn't know about the medal; good points all though.

Yeah, given that Kakizaki's death in the in-universe movie Do You Remember Love? has even become something of a meme or popular superstition, odds are Roy enjoys the in-universe status of "memetic badass" in addition to basically being the guy who wrote the (possibly literal) book on VF aerial combat.

's probably not accidental command units keep including gold trim for ages afterwards.

1 hour ago, Special Sauce said:

I prefer Hikaru's red and black but the first one that I always visualize is Roy's scheme.

I agree, red and black was just more representative of Hikaru. But when we are talking about the VF-1S, it's definitely Roy's color scheme that is better known. As @Seto Kaiba said, it's been homaged a few times, most notably with Ozma's VF-25 in Frontier. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:57 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, given that Kakizaki's death in the in-universe movie Do You Remember Love? has even become something of a meme or popular superstition, odds are Roy enjoys the in-universe status of "memetic badass" in addition to basically being the guy who wrote the (possibly literal) book on VF aerial combat.

's probably not accidental command units keep including gold trim for ages afterwards.

How to Kill Your Enemy Dead in a Variable Fighter (and Not Get Killed Yourself) by Roy Focker, Esq.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Max's VF-1S. 

While Roy's (eventually Hikaru's) VF-1S is the most iconic of the franchise I am including Max's 1S here simply because it was so unexpected the first time you see the movie & seeing Max in combat for even that short time stayed with me ever since. Funny how roughly under three minutes of an Anime stick with you forever.