Making a new SDF Macross series and DYRL movie with updated animation

Not sure if anyone has ever brought up the topic.  Given how old the original series and movie are I think it would be cool to see it redone using todays animation techniques.  Story and dialogue  could stay exactly the same.  I could even be frame for frame the same or similar visually.  Just new animation, sound, voice actors etc.  I know there's always purist's who would not want that but it would give a younger audience a way to be introduced to the franchise and raise popularity.   Plus, it would be updated to match the later animated works that have come after it.  I know about the live action film that's supposed to be coming but I'm just setting that aside for the moment.  I just wondered how people on here felt about it?  

2 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

Not sure if anyone has ever brought up the topic.  Given how old the original series and movie are I think it would be cool to see it redone using todays animation techniques.  Story and dialogue  could stay exactly the same.  I could even be frame for frame the same or similar visually.  Just new animation, sound, voice actors etc.  I know there's always purist's who would not want that but it would give a younger audience a way to be introduced to the franchise and raise popularity.   Plus, it would be updated to match the later animated works that have come after it.  I know about the live action film that's supposed to be coming but I'm just setting that aside for the moment.  I just wondered how people on here felt about it?  

Yes we did in different threads. It's kind of a here and there kind of discussions. But I remember this topic was raised during the release of Macross Fever Pachinko clips.

Edited by no3Ljm

I'm actually more interested on getting Macross The First get animated ala-Gundam The Origin type of feel. And I rather have it in OAV format than a regular series. 1 hour per OAV episode. But seeing that Mikimoto hasn't finish his manga yet, I wish someone could just continue it and get it animated with Kawamori's blessings.

4 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Yes we did in different threads. It's kind of a here and there kind of discussions. But I remember this topic was raised during the release of Macross Fever Pachinko clips.

I figured that was probably the case.  They should just do it.  Now's the perfect time.  They could re-release it and get new fans on board.  

Reanimating it would be a waste of time for both the creators and the audience. It already exists. Put that production towards something actually new. Sure the quality of the series goes up and down and while the down parts may not be to your liking, the up parts are quite literally groundbreaking and historically significant to the progress of the animation industry.

And really, given how Frontier and Delta went I'd expect any remake to be more outsourced than the original series was.

I don't think it's a waste of time.  Watching it now it looks pretty dated.  Any artist would tell you they could work on one piece for their entire lives and still not be satisfied that it's finished.  Things get remade all the time.  Some good, some not.  I don't see anything wrong with it and I would be excited to see what they could do with it

As much as I would like to see this happen, I agree with @TMBounty_Hunter.

You also have to consider that Big West who produces the original series and co-own the franchise is not a big company compared to, say, Sunrise for them to invest on re-animating the original series. They would probably invest or produce something new. If they were as big as Sunrise, who knows? Or if the whole copyright fiasco didn't happen for the last 36 years and Macross generated a good worldwide recognition without HG's initial agenda, who knows?

I think the only way this could happen is if there's a person or a company willing to spend lots of money. I mean lots of money. Basically more of a gamble without thinking of profit, on producing this and by also paying Big West and Harmony Gold (due to recent agreement) rights on actually producing it, then I'm pretty sure most of us here will be happy about it.

But then, where can we find someone who's willing to lose a lot of money to pay all of this? ;) 

8 minutes ago, Special Sauce said:

What is going on with that right hand :lol:

Wait. You don't know that hand sign? Probably you're in the wrong forum? :shok: 

kawamori_walkure.thumb.jpeg.5432f1c4fb5e2a2dafb10d5a4bf7a1f3.jpeg

Oh. Right. I realized Robotech didn't have that hand sign. Probably why you didn't recognize it. :lol: 

Edited by no3Ljm

1 hour ago, Einherjar said:

a024efa0f5cc85bdf353b95ae317e660.jpg

I feel like everyone knows what it is but me:D

I'm just getting into all the series now.  I watched Zero and I really liked it. In the middle of Frontier right now and enjoying that so far too

53 minutes ago, Special Sauce said:

I'm just getting into all the series now.  I watched Zero and I really liked it. In the middle of Frontier right now and enjoying that so far too

Cool. But you need to stop after Frontier. Period. :lol: 

Try not to watch the next one. :ph34r:

17 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Cool. But you need to stop after Frontier. Period. :lol: 

Try not to watch the next one. :ph34r:

You mean Macross 7 or Delta?  Chronologically I know 7 comes first so I would probably just watch it even though I've been watching Frontier.  I've not heard great things about either one, though "7" seems to have it's fans.  Macross II does interest me even though Kawamori wasn't involved.

Edited by Special Sauce

Honestly, watch it all. Good and bad. Most of what is either is subjective. Delta and 7 do have some objective flaws but both have things to like too. I will admit Delta was a big missed opportunity though. You gain little from avoiding things that don't actually hurt you though. It's not like the good parts of Macross are lesser after you see it lol.

MII is worth it too. It's a different timeline but I finally just saw the whole thing myself and.. I dunno why I took so long, it's pretty good.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:49 AM, Special Sauce said:

You mean Macross 7 or Delta?  Chronologically I know 7 comes first so I would probably just watch it even though I've been watching Frontier.  I've not heard great things about either one, though "7" seems to have it's fans.  Macross II does interest me even though Kawamori wasn't involved.

Watch 7 and MII; you might be surprised. :D

Urgh, I hate the entire concept of remakes. Especially the modern ones that use CGI where the original work was hand-drawn (like Macross was). Now don't get me wrong, I think Satellight is one of the better anime studios when it comes to CGI, but it just doesn't have the same "soul" that 2d animation has, ESPECIALLY the hand-drawn type. If there was a need for a new version of SDF, I'd do an adaptation of The First, but otherwise just leave it as it is. Besides, I do not like the pointless revulsiveness younger audiences seem to have towards hand-drawn anime, and mecha especially. 

That 'pointless repulsiveness' is a hindrance though, esp if we want younger audiences to watch and like the original Macross, rather than veiwing it as their Grandparent's 'quant black and white serials.' I remember watching Robotech as a kid and loving it, but nowadays I much prefer the newer ones, partly because the visual styles are so tight and detailed. When seeing some of the drawn stills from from the 'old days' I have a hearty little chuckle at how they look, esp when you can tell the artist got a little lazy.

Heck, even updating it just to match DYRL's level of artwork would be a vast improvement!

What they could do, since apparently their deal with HG means they still can't sell the original overseas, is use this as an opportunity. They could update all the anime, (keeping the original dialogue) while also changing all that HG has copywrited, such as the RDF kite and UN Spacy. Literally call the Earth military government NUNS right from the 'start' as it were with the newer sigil.

Edited by Thom

5 minutes ago, Thom said:

Literally call the Earth military NUNS right from the 'start' as it were with the newer sigil.

I was kinda gonna argue about how this might be seen as "retconning", but I don't think the actual "true" events of Space War I have really been seen anyways

5 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I was kinda gonna argue about how this might be seen as "retconning", but I don't think the actual "true" events of Space War I have really been seen anyways

Well, we do know that the New United Nations came about after several decades following SW1, as the Earth government became more decentralized in order to deal with the wider, spreading population among the stars. So changing the government to the NUNS just after the Unification War, rather than happening sometime after SW1 would be a retcon. The story itself would remain exactly the same though but for that, as it would be more to get around HG's continued strangle-hold on Robotech Macross by removing the visuals and whatnot they have trade-marked.

But that is probably just pie-in-the-sky thinking, as I'm sure there's a lot more to it than just some trade-marked visuals... Heck, I would just love a reason for them to just redo the animation!:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent English version of the song.  Thanks for posting it.  It does a good job of making the lyrics flow with the music while still keeping the gist of the original.  I've heard a couple other versions of the song in English and the singers had to do vocal gymnastics to match up with the music.  The only problem is a couple of spots the wording is a little strained but that is inevitable when trying to match lyrics to music.