SOLD Matchbox 1/3000 SDF-1

Posted (edited)

Up for sale is a Matchbox 1/3000 SDF-1. Toy came to me as a lot with several classic toys. Nothing is broken. It appears unused though I can't swear to that (other than it's unused by me but I'm not the original owner). Complete with two sticker sheets and instructions. Styrofoam looks gorgeous. Box has shelfwear, please review pics. There is a bit of creaminess to the white but still exceptional for a 35 plus year old toy. 

Asking $350 plus actual shipping from 92614. If not using friends/family, buyer pays Paypal fees and insurance costs. 

SDF-1-4-Sale-1-Box-2.jpg

SDF-1-4-Sale-1-Box.jpg

SDF-1-4-Sale-1-Box-3.jpg

Edited by jenius

Posted (edited)

That's a smokin deal! I can't believe this isn't sold yet.:ohmy:

I've got two customs and i'm having a hard time passing this up. For $350 you usually get junk.

Edited by sqidd

1 hour ago, Grey728 said:

PM'd.. I couldn't resist any longer! I guess I'll have to start a 'classics' toy shelf now..

Everyone should have this SDF-1! B))

• jenius changed the title to SOLD Matchbox 1/3000 SDF-1
12 hours ago, jenius said:

Up for sale is a Matchbox 1/3000 SDF-1. Toy came to me as a lot with several classic toys. Nothing is broken. It appears unused though I can't swear to that (other than it's unused by me but I'm not the original owner). Complete with two sticker sheets and instructions. Styrofoam looks gorgeous. Box has shelfwear, please review pics. There is a bit of creaminess to the white but still exceptional for a 35 plus year old toy. 

Awesome to have found such a figure in pristine condition in a lot; I've always wondered how many more VF-1* "gems" could be uncovered if only we had the ability to search every local Craigslist/local yard sale in the US.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:16 PM, Grey728 said:

PM'd.. I couldn't resist any longer! I guess I'll have to start a 'classics' toy shelf now..

Welcome to the club.

Despite its age, it’s probably the best and only large-scale TV version currently out there.

If you’re ever looking to mod it, there’s a ton of threads and galleries to glean some tips and techniques from.

Received safe and sound. Thanks @jenius!

On 5/24/2021 at 9:58 AM, Mog said:

Welcome to the club.

Despite its age, it’s probably the best and only large-scale TV version currently out there.

If you’re ever looking to mod it, there’s a ton of threads and galleries to glean some tips and techniques from.

I might be doing a disservice to modify such a pristine condition SDF-1. I'll take a closer look tonight after work.

Well crap. This is disappointing. Both arms were snapped right off and I was able to lift the main body out without taking out or even touching the arms. :unsure:The packaging looks fine. No dings. Enough packaging, etc. Just.. the arms are broken.. Guess I'll modify it after all...

For these old toys, maybe more bubble wrap within the toy box itself is needed to secure the item a little better and help with shipping/handling potentially causing damage? I would assume 35 year old plastic is super brittle..

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.0e027fa76a0cd24bd3913256271b73fb.JPGIMG_1398.thumb.JPG.132250ee4c630d382123064e278c00d6.JPGIMG_1399.thumb.JPG.74685fbe9ff2e8264fc86ae6bfa802b4.JPGIMG_1401.thumb.JPG.40560707500af4a26d67a2d5ba8630bb.JPGIMG_1400.thumb.JPG.0b73f104a71e333caad95e2df27a7c37.JPG

That's a huge bummer, I did check them before packaging since it's a known issue and they were fine. Really lame, I'll PM you later tonight to discuss.

Posted (edited)

Sorry to see this happen.  

Two possible solutions:

1) From @pengbuzz:

On 4/17/2020 at 3:00 PM, pengbuzz said:

I had this happen on the SDF-1 I had several years back (before my brother destroyed it on me) How to repair:

1) Take apart each chest piece (one at a time), and set the metal pieces aside in a container, with screws in another. You may want to photograph each step so you can document how parts go together.

2) unscrew the shoulder peg from black plate in the white shoulder piece.

3) obtain either a solid piece of ABS sprue the same size, or PVC from your local hardware store (Home Depot or the like).

4) if the piece is solid, drill a hole slightly smaller than the shoulder screw into the plastic; otherwise, drill out where the center post was, being careful NOT TO DAMAGE either the gearteeth on the front, or the screw post for the shoulders to come together on the other side.

5) Using Devcon Plastic Welder (epoxy is too brittle and super glue has ZERO shear strength), glue the new post into place from the REVERSE side. This way, you don't have to dig dried adhesive out of the gear teeth. Set up straight with tape to hold the post straight and let cure for 24 hours.

6) Once cured, measure to the old post length, cut and lightly sand the end to smooth it. insert and tighten screw GENTLY to prep the post to accept it when assembled.

7) Once you're certain it will work, reassemble the blue chest piece, then reassemble the black shpoler piece to the shoulder post and screw together. THen reasemble the white shoulder piece around it.

2). My solution using a long screw and nut.  It will be slightly off-center for the shoulder, requires you to shear/trim the screw, and drill a divot into the diecast metal.  But it holds alright:

But yeah, those shoulders are a pretty crappy design.

Edited by Mog

Posted (edited)

@Mog Looks fantastic! I have zero skill in modding anything and I haven't messed with my gundam models enough to pick up any real skills. I guess now is as good a time as any to start.

Edited by Grey728

The right tools and supplies can make the job so much easier.

Just remember that my “solution” resulted in the blue chest pieces becoming very gappy, me having to add washers at various points on the screw (to protect the plastic and to help with the main guns’ rotation), and you have to trim the screw just right (too long, you wind up blocking the arms from rotating from cruiser to attack mode.  Too short, you don’t have enough room on the screw for a nut to hold everything in place.).

And you would have to make some holes into that blue plastic.

Whatever method you decide on, just know you need to keep both sets of ratcheted teeth and the spring to keep the arm from flopping in cruiser mode.

On 5/26/2021 at 12:58 PM, Grey728 said:

Well crap. This is disappointing. Both arms were snapped right off and I was able to lift the main body out without taking out or even touching the arms. :unsure:The packaging looks fine. No dings. Enough packaging, etc. Just.. the arms are broken.. Guess I'll modify it after all...

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.0e027fa76a0cd24bd3913256271b73fb.JPG

That is so tragically sad. :( I hope you can repair it relatively easily.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2021 at 5:27 PM, 505thAirborne said:

Everyone should have this SDF-1! B))

Believe me; I wish I did!

Edited by pengbuzz

On 5/26/2021 at 12:58 PM, Grey728 said:

For these old toys, maybe more bubble wrap within the toy box itself is needed to secure the item a little better and help with shipping/handling potentially causing damage? I would assume 35 year old plastic is super brittle..

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.0e027fa76a0cd24bd3913256271b73fb.JPGIMG_1398.thumb.JPG.132250ee4c630d382123064e278c00d6.JPGIMG_1399.thumb.JPG.74685fbe9ff2e8264fc86ae6bfa802b4.JPGIMG_1401.thumb.JPG.40560707500af4a26d67a2d5ba8630bb.JPGIMG_1400.thumb.JPG.0b73f104a71e333caad95e2df27a7c37.JPG

I repaired these before with great success.

If you want I can help. I can do the repair for free of charge. We can either meet or you can mail it.

PM me if interested.