Display of Macross toys

kaizmoto1489

Multi-tool comparison: Leatherman Surge versus Wave Plus

Leatherman is well-known for high-quality multi functional tools that satisfy every need of customers. If you’re reading this, we assume you’ve decided to go with a Leatherman tool.

However, Leatherman Surge and Leatherman Wave Plus are two models. If you are still considering their pros and cons, you still haven’t made up your mind on which one to buy yet. Let us provide you with a comparison of these two best multi tool brands to help you make a well-informed decision.

1. Size difference

While the Leatherman Surge looks pretty much similar to the Wave Plus, their size is quite different. The Surge is bigger than the Wave Plus, which means the Surge’s tools are also more significant than its smaller brother.

The Leatherman Surge weighs around 0.7 pounds, whereas the Leatherman Wave Plus is about 0.5 pounds.

bf4aT7P.jpg

If you’re keen on a small, lightweight tool to put in your pocket, then the Wave Plus would be a better choice than the Surge. Also, the Wave Plus is the best outdoor multi-tool thanks to its size; thus, we believe outdoor lovers would find this compact tool their perfect companion.

However, if you’re thinking of a wearable multi-tool for everyday carry, the Surge would suit you better. Plus, we notice many users often wear gloves when they use their multi-tools. So, if you’re one of them, pick the Surge instead of the Wave Plus, as holding a big tool is always more comfortable than a small one.

Find More Information: What is the best multi-tool

2. Number of tools

The price, size, and weight of multi-tools largely depend on how many tools they’re equipped with. Given this, we’ll compare the Leatherman Wave Plus and the Surge in terms of the number of tools included. While the Surge has 19 tools, the Wave Plus consists of 15 tools only.

Both the Leatherman Surge and the Wave Plus have needle nose pliers, replaceable hardwire cutters, pliers, crimper, and knife made from 420 HC, but only the Surge has a stranded wire cutter.

Besides, the Surge and Wave Plus both have the diamond-coated file, large bit holder, but the Surge is equipped with an SDS-replacement holder for a file and saw as well.

Moreover, we notice that the Surge has both bottles and can openers, the but Wave Plus only has a bottle opener. Also, since the Surge is bigger than the Wave Plus, its pair of scissors is double the size of the Wave Plus’s scissors. What is more, the saw on the Wave Plus and Surge is also significantly different.

y7PE06a.jpg

3. Screwdrivers and SDS-replacement holder

As you might have noticed from our above comparison, the Leatherman Surge and Wave Plus have some differences in their tools. So, we think it’s best to highlight a few of them here.

The Leatherman Surge has a large screwdriver of 0.3 inches wide, and 0.04 inches thick. It also has a small screwdriver. The Leatherman Wave Plus, on the contrary, has one medium screwdriver of 0.27 inches wide and 0.04 inches thick only.

The SDS-replacement holder is another point of differentiation. The saw of the Leatherman Surge is accessible from the outside. More importantly, it is enhanced with an SDS-replacement holder, allowing users to secure the saw when needed.

Check Over: Best multitool

The bottom line

The best Leatherman multi-tool for everyday use and outdoor adventures is Surge. Even though it’s bulkier than the Wave Plus, it has a few advantages. Aside from the SDS-replacement holder that we have mentioned above, its scissors are also another plus point.

Given this, if you find yourself using the scissors often, then pick Leatherman Surge. Click ‘share’ if you like this post, and feel free to leave us your comments below.

Edited by kaizmoto1489

There's about a billion factors that come into play, as this thread has discussed:

But other than sunlight, other factors in the room can also cause the the plastic to yellow:  type of lighting within the room, temperature variations, the height you display an item (the closer to the ceiling an item is, the warmer the temperature tends to be).  Hell, even the O2 in the room could be a factor.

Even if you're just storing it in its box, the Styrofoam could interact with the plastic somehow, and again, temperature variations could cause the plastic to yellow within the box.

And if you somehow control all those issues, then there's still the issue of the actual plastic itself:  it could just be prone to yellowing due to some issues with how it was originally manufactured.

10 hours ago, kaizmoto1489 said:

Hi everyone,
How bad is it to display Macross toys in a room where the blinds are fully closed, but the room is still being lit up by sunlight passing through? 
I've heard of some people's toys yellowing even after they've store them in their boxes. 
Is this just something that happens to all plastics over time and we should just enjoy them while they are white and minty?

Sort version any amount of UV light will yellow your toys. Bare minimum get some good UV film for you windows. And I mean GOOD. You can't go by the manufacturer claims. Link at bottom to UV film info. Your best bet is to black the windows out.

Here is a post I just put up on another board yesterday about this with a link to a good thread on it:

Yellowing isn't random. There are multiple causes that make things confusing though. There is a pretty good yellowing thread over on MW. Lot's of a good input (one person literally being a rocket scientist). I did some research on what museums do about UV light and then bought a UV and visible light meter to do some testing to see how much UV I was really getting opposed to what I thought I was getting. I posted the results.

Here are all of the variables/causes:

-Material type

-UV light

-Temperature fluctuations

-High temperatures

-Humidity

-What they are stored in (Styrofoam coffins, plastic trays, etc)

-Etc

If you display your stuff in an environment with no UV light (you probably have a lot more than you think) that is relatively temperature and humidity stable you won't get any yellowing unless the material it is made out of is just that bad. Nothing you can do about that though. UV is the big killer here though. If you don't go to pretty extreme measures to block out UV you will get yellowing. All of my toys are in my office. The windows are blacked out. The windows in the house that can let light in through the office door have a good quality film that knocks UV way down below museum levels. Be careful, there are a ton of junk films out there that don't block like advertised. There is a link in the MW thread on a test which shows which ones work, it's not many. I have even gone as far as to test the light-bulbs in the room for UV. I ended up getting special LED's for the lights in the cabinets and aimed my regular lighting so the UV is knocked down before it can get to the toys. Obviously, it helps to have a UV light meter for this.

If you store your stuff absolutely do not store it in Styrofoam coffins. The off gassing from the Styrofoam breaking down is a killer. Plastic trays are OK (maybe you noticed that Bandai has stopped putting DX Valks in Styrofoam???), but they still off gas a little. You best bet is to get your toys away from Styrofoam or plastic all together. That said, if you keep them in a temperature and humidity stable (but not hot or too humid) environment you probably won't have any issues with plastic off gassing. Two places you absolutely don't want to store boxed toys in are attics that aren't temp stable and don't get hot (which aren't going to be many) and damp basements.

Here is a link to window film testing that shows which one’s work. It’s not many:

https://cool.culturalheritage.org/waac/wn/wn30/wn30-2/wn30-204.pdf

Here is a link to a thread about preventing yellowing. I think this is the densest info you will find on it:

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, cosmic said:

Can anyone tell from this photo if this yf-30 is yellowing or not? I cant tell from the quality of the pic, and the seller is ignoring any and all questions.

s-l500.jpg

If the seller is ignoring any and all questions then you should not be buying it.  its a sign that tells you to just walk away.

20 minutes ago, F360 said:

If the seller is ignoring any and all questions then you should not be buying it.  its a sign that tells you to just walk away.

Sadly that is literally every single seller of macross DX on ebay and elsewhere. Okini land is ignoring me, nin-nin games ignores me.

I would say its my face, but you know how it goes. I even tried google translating my questions into japanese and that got me nothing.