Jump to content

How Macross Plus (and other anime) influenced Godzilla Vs Kong


Recommended Posts

Hello guys! I'm not sure how many on here are fellow Godzilla fans but if there are any out there I thought you might want to check out this video I made about the anime influences in the latest MonsterVerse movie. The director Adam Wingard specifically mentioned Macross Plus so I thought that was very cool but Akira and Evangelion show up too. Here's a link:

How Anime Influenced Godzilla Vs Kong

Link to comment
Share on other sites

uhh...

 

 

 

ok, i'll bite a little.

 

I ain't clicking on your link,, tho.

 

However, for some content for the forum...

 

Nothing against GvK, but...

 

you do know Godzilla's pedigree started back in the original 1954 film, right?  

 

It's also actually the only Godzilla film and story that really matters even today.

 

Lots of great both sci-fi and non-scifi ideas and stuf and even classic japanese actors and performances from the film that, well, influences stuff even today.  

 

1954, man.

 

That's a long time ago.

 

Most people doing anime and stuff were most likely either not even born then or were very very young kids.

 

Think about it.

 

You oughta (re)watch the original Godzilla film and hopefully re-appreciate it.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice video, I had no idea the director quoted those influences! :)

When I watched GvK  the other day I literally said 'Hey...thats an Itano Circus!'...little did I know how true it apparently was haha

Thanks for posting that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, treatment said:

I ain't clicking on your link,, tho.

Well, that explains the nature of your comment.  You really should have watched the video, and saved yourself the public embarrassment. <_<

As to the video in question, it illustrates some significant anime parallels (once you get past FOUR minutes of time-wasting drivel, that is)...

However, if you're gonna post the link in this forum, you've gotta be careful with statements like this:

grief.jpg

There are members here who will give you grief for suggesting Macross II is "unofficial." :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, treatment said:

you do know Godzilla's pedigree started back in the original 1954 film, right?  

It's also actually the only Godzilla film and story that really matters even today.

You oughta (re)watch the original Godzilla film and hopefully re-appreciate it.

 

And maybe if you did give the video a chance instead of immediately putting me down without even watching it you would see that I mentioned that GvK is the 36th film in the franchise and that it all started with the 1954 original? You might also have noticed the Criterion Collection Showa-Era Godzilla set in the background that kind of indicates that I'm not some newbie fan of Godzilla. In fact I have that plus the previous Criterion Collection release of Gojira and several other home video releases of the 1954 film as part of my collection so I'm pretty confident when I say I've watched it enough times to appreciate its significance. But saying that only the 1954 movie "really matters" sounds like belittling so many great movies that came afterward including Godzilla vs Biollante, Shin Godzilla, GMK, etc etc. 

I'm not here to argue about the merits of the MonsterVerse though...I thought this forum was for fellow Macross fans and that they might get a kick out of how a big budget Hollywood director directly referenced a seminal work in the Macross franchise. Sorry for sharing then if it offends your artistic sensibilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, tekering said:

Well, that explains the nature of your comment.  You really should have watched the video, and saved yourself the public embarrassment. <_<

As to the video in question, it illustrates some significant anime parallels (once you get past FOUR minutes of time-wasting drivel, that is)...

However, if you're gonna post the link in this forum, you've gotta be careful with statements like this:

grief.jpg

There are members here who will give you grief for suggesting Macross II is "unofficial." :unsure:

Sorry but didn't Shoji Kawamori himself say that Macross II was retconned to be a "parallel world" entry and not part of the canon timeline? Since Studio Nue wasn't involved in Macross II I thought it was generally accepted that Macross II wasn't considered the "official" sequel to the original SDF Macross. I never said Macross II was bad - I quite like Macross II - but there's no getting around that Macross Plus is pretty much the canon second entry per the creators.

And sorry for "four-minutes of drivel" - man this forum is harsh. This reminds me why I rarely come here anymore except when SuperdimensionCon is getting close to learn the details. Thanks for at least giving the video a chance though even if you ended up hating it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Nice video, I had no idea the director quoted those influences! :)

When I watched GvK  the other day I literally said 'Hey...thats an Itano Circus!'...little did I know how true it apparently was haha

Thanks for posting that!

Thank you! I'm glad at least one person found something interesting from the video :)

I don't post here that much but as a long-time Macross fan who hasn't missed an SDCon or MacrossWorldCon in years I thought I might run into some fellow Godzilla and anime fans who'd find this topic interesting - judging from the other responses I've gotten maybe I'll go back to just playing with my cars instead lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HeavenCanceller said:

Sorry but didn't Shoji Kawamori himself say that Macross II was retconned to be a "parallel world" entry and not part of the canon timeline? Since Studio Nue wasn't involved in Macross II I thought it was generally accepted that Macross II wasn't considered the "official" sequel to the original SDF Macross.

I've tried to make exactly the same arguments before, so we're certainly on the same page there. :drinks:

3 minutes ago, HeavenCanceller said:

Thanks for at least giving the video a chance though even if you ended up hating it.

Not at all, man.  Like I said, you made some salient observations.  I didn't hate your video.

Godzilla vs. Kong, on the other hand... <_<

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tekering said:

I've tried to make exactly the same arguments before, so we're certainly on the same page there. :drinks:

Not at all, man.  Like I said, you made some salient observations.  I didn't hate your video.

Godzilla vs. Kong, on the other hand... <_<

My bad if I came off a little defensive...that first response from treatment kind of put me in a foul mood lol. I realize Godzilla vs Kong or any giant monster movie for that matter isn't for everyone, plus my channel is really an automotive one and this video was just an oddball one I did for fun, so that's why there's a bit of a longish intro to it during which I keep poking fun at myself for being such a geek :) Thanks again for giving the video a chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

19 minutes ago, HeavenCanceller said:

And maybe if you did give the video a chance instead of immediately putting me down without even watching it you would see that I mentioned that GvK is the 36th film in the franchise and that it all started with the 1954 original? You might also have noticed the Criterion Collection Showa-Era Godzilla set in the background that kind of indicates that I'm not some newbie fan of Godzilla. In fact I have that plus the previous Criterion Collection release of Gojira and several other home video releases of the 1954 film as part of my collection so I'm pretty confident when I say I've watched it enough times to appreciate its significance. But saying that only the 1954 movie "really matters" sounds like belittling so many great movies that came afterward including Godzilla vs Biollante, Shin Godzilla, GMK, etc etc. 

I'm not here to argue about the merits of the MonsterVerse though...I thought this forum was for fellow Macross fans and that they might get a kick out of how a big budget Hollywood director directly referenced a seminal work in the Macross franchise. Sorry for sharing then if it offends your artistic sensibilities.

 

Your premised thread title is already incorrect to my eyes and more like click-bait to me.

Therefore it doesn't interest me to click and watch it, regardless if you have valid stuff in there or not.

If you had titled this thread more intteresingly by starting with, i dunno, something like...

how Godzilla 1954 influences anime that influenced GvK

then I would've been clicking on your link right away.

And, yes.  Godzilla-1954 is the only Godzilla film that matters.

As much as I watched and enjoyed the other Godzilla-based films, they are really pedestrian stuff compared to the original.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, HeavenCanceller said:

My bad if I came off a little defensive...

Oh, that's par for the course here. :lol:

As you can see, we've all got our own agendas to push.  @treatment is incapable of seeing past "Godzilla (1954) is the only film that matters," and I'm incapable of seeing past my own rage over how insultingly stupid Godzilla vs. Kong was.  :angry:

Of course, having tried to discuss Godzilla films rationally on kaiju-specific fan forums, I discovered quite the opposite there; whereas we're harsh critics nitpicking any perceived flaw, they didn't seem to have any critical faculties whatsoever. :unknw:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Well, that explains the nature of your comment.  You really should have watched the video, and saved yourself the public embarrassment. <_<

As to the video in question, it illustrates some significant anime parallels (once you get past FOUR minutes of time-wasting drivel, that is)...

However, if you're gonna post the link in this forum, you've gotta be careful with statements like this:

grief.jpg

There are members here who will give you grief for suggesting Macross II is "unofficial." :unsure:

Macross II is the third official entry, DYRL was the second...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

OK, I didn't initially see the anime influences referenced in G&K after watching it twice last month but I'm sure most Godzilla fans will have a love for anime too.

EDIT: I DID NOT KNOW BRYAN CRANSTON WAS THE VOICE OF ISAMU DYSON IN MACROSS PLUS!! lol. Can't believe I'm learning that now.

 

 

Edited by TangledThorns
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...