Jump to content

Bigwest will do a global release of the MACROSS series... Games and Toys too!


Bub

Recommended Posts

From a technical standpoint, I'm also interested in seeing the encoding analysis of the new discs. I'm not waiting on any miracles but it would be a nice surprise to see Funimation go above and beyond with this release and deliver a consistent bitrate of decent quality. That's one thing that could get me to reverse course and consider picking this set up. Another thing is if the original audio track is an available playback option. That would really give me a reason to upgrade my ancient ADV Robotech Legacy DVD box sets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2021 at 12:03 AM, Shawn said:

 

image.thumb.png.77c090e1c905a6756135815f75ab7f93.png

 

Absolutely an improvement.

A friend of mine just gave me a BluRay that is an English dub of SDFM and it looks better for sure. It's also pretty funny because they swear a little in it. Especially Roy.:p

I have no idea where it came from. I should probably ask.

Edited by sqidd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heads up. Macross kits are starting to make their way to North American distributors. 

 

I was in Hobbytown USA here in the metro Atlanta, GA area yesterday and an Aoshima VF-25 VFG kit was right there on the shelf.  The guy says he's not seen any Hasegawa stuff listed with his distributors yet, but its only a matter of time.  

Edited by Cowboy17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sh9000 said:

 

This felt weird a lot of times because Mylene's mouth was moving but I couldn't hear her singing, it was mostly just Basara. Felt like she was just another prop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2021 at 9:03 PM, Shawn said:

Damn, you guys are really getting me down with all the 'robocrap' talk and what not. If you don't want to buy it fine, but try to stop all the echo-chamber negativity. Damn.

Not sure what you are all seeing, but I definitely see an improvement in picture quality and not just cranking up the brightness and sharpening.
While I'll hold out for a possible Japanese language set with english subs, I'm also able to recognize that this picture looks really good. Definitely interested in the source material they were able to get for this.

image.thumb.png.77c090e1c905a6756135815f75ab7f93.png

 

I agree that is a definite improvement, I was just hoping that we could get a western release of the Bandai Blu Rays.  Those are far superior than this remaster looks.  As others have pointed out, it is likely due to whatever master they had access to, which limits the quality of remaster they can create.  One would think, that with the current truce HG might be able to access the Bandai BR source for their release, or at least let the Bandai BR through.  That is my biggest gripe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, hachi said:

This felt weird a lot of times because Mylene's mouth was moving but I couldn't hear her singing, it was mostly just Basara. Felt like she was just another prop.

Yeah, the vocal mixes aren't the greatest, or at least don't match what they're trying to do with the 3D bits.  They turned Mylene into a dancer rather than a bass player, and it messes with the band setup somewhat.

That being said, I never felt Mylene's singer was a good pairing with Basara's.  Their singing styles felt too different, and he just overpowers her in almost everything they do together.  I know Chie Kaijura can absolutely sing from her solo pieces, but Fukuyama is just crazy powerful, and her more subtle harmonies get lost in the blast.

This is one very strange case where I actually like the Fire Bomber American voice mix better.  That Mylene had a deeper voice, as I recall, and her harmonies came out much stronger.

Edited by Chronocidal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2021 at 1:49 PM, Cowboy17 said:

Heads up. Macross kits are starting to make their way to North American distributors. 

 

I was in Hobbytown USA here in the metro Atlanta, GA area yesterday and an Aoshima VF-25 VFG kit was right there on the shelf.  The guy says he's not seen any Hasegawa stuff listed with his distributors yet, but its only a matter of time.  

Oh that makes me VERY happy!! When Twentieth Century Imports was doing their imports in the early 80s you could find Macross kits at all the various hobby stores and general stores like Sprouse Reitz...where I would spend all my lunch money on 1/144 Macross kits  :)

The Good Old Days are coming back again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2021 at 11:09 PM, Shawn said:

Oh that makes me VERY happy!! When Twentieth Century Imports was doing their imports in the early 80s you could find Macross kits at all the various hobby stores and general stores like Sprouse Reitz...where I would spend all my lunch money on 1/144 Macross kits  :)

The Good Old Days are coming back again!

Hoping for an SDF-1 reissue; would also love to see the old Imai VF-1 kits reissued (need some parts badly and some VF's I don't have yet!).

13 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Right here waiting for reissued chunkies.

Same,,,adding that to the list!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm comparing those shots to this one from the YT channel with all the Macross animations, and maybe it is just my eyes, but these, even at 720p still look comparable to the RT BR, if not a little nicer.  The Bandai one still looks to have superior color grading and noise reduction too.

yt-rip.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The actual Bandai blu-rays are pretty amazing looking, dare I say the only way they could look better is if they managed to travel back in time and burn down the "Animefriend" studio before Tatsunoko had a chance to contract them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 5:30 AM, uzernaem said:

Ironically, the only thing could make Macross mainstream now is Sony's Robotech film.

Or they could just make a Macross sequel that doesn't suck like Delta did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Making the next Macross movie accessible overseas could be interesting.👽

True. But then that would mean a few things:

  • No teenager pilots coz it's dangerous and abusive`
  • No character build-up coz who needs it when you have great action CGI sequence
  • Weak plot coz see previous bullet
  • And most of all no fan service

:rolleyes:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

True. But then that would mean a few things:

  • No teenager pilots coz it's dangerous and abusive`
  • No character build-up coz who needs it when you have great action CGI sequence
  • Weak plot coz see previous bullet
  • And most of all no fan service

:rolleyes:

 

The story I'm working on is the opposite of all of the above. 🏴‍☠️

Edited by 505thAirborne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

True. But then that would mean a few things:

  • No teenager pilots coz it's dangerous and abusive`
  • No character build-up coz who needs it when you have great action CGI sequence
  • Weak plot coz see previous bullet
  • And most of all no fan service

:rolleyes:

 

Agreed,  bruv. 
Specifically i mean that dropping the new movie in the west , out of nowhere, could be interesting.  And , I would hope , some of what you listed will be addressed (at least to SOME degree) in the new movie. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.  
Nevertheless, my faith in Deculture will , one day, pay off.

Edited by Bolt
Spell check
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

The story I'm working on is the opposite of all of the above. 🏴‍☠️

Awesome. Will you be posting it on MW ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Awesome. Will you be posting it on MW ?

Well it's not Macross related, yet when it's time to preview ( a few months from now) I'll put a post up here so you all can see it. B))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Well it's not Macross related, yet when it's time to preview ( a few months from now) I'll put a post up here so you all can see it. B))

Looking forward to it. :good:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Agreed,  bruv. 
Specifically i mean that dropping the new movie in the west , out of nowhere, could be interesting.  And , I would hope , some of what you listed will be addressed (at least to SOME degree) in the new movie. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.  
Nevertheless, my faith in Deculture will , one day, pay off.

You know what, I just realize that probably Macross Zero is more in-line with the West audience. I mean as far as my bullet list goes. ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

You know what, I just realize that probably Macross Zero is more in-line with the West audience. I mean as far as my bullet list goes. ;)

 

Oh, for sure.  And, apparently, the current iteration of Macross ( idol dollar frenzy) is what the Japanese audience wants.. 

So..🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Oh, for sure.  And, apparently, the current iteration of Macross ( idol dollar frenzy) is what the Japanese audience wants.. 

So..🤔

So... Robotech for us then, right? :db:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

You know what, I just realize that probably Macross Zero is more in-line with the West audience. I mean as far as my bullet list goes. ;)

 

The boring story and flying log take it out of contention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2021 at 10:32 PM, no3Ljm said:

You know what, I just realize that probably Macross Zero is more in-line with the West audience. I mean as far as my bullet list goes. ;)

 

The only thing that ruined Macross Zero for me was that it was just valkyrie vs valkyrie.

Give me those dogfights with at least one Zentraedi or Marduk mecha involved and I'll be glued to the screen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder with all of this if the west, more specifically, english speaking individuals, will get the opportunity to read the novelizations of Macross Zero, Frontier, Delta, 30, Plus...etc.  I enjoyed the translated novelization of Gundam Sentinel and would love to read all about the amount of material that is produced for these various Macross entries.  If this has already happened, please point me in the right direction.  Thank You,

Twich

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...