Bigwest will do a global release of the MACROSS series... Games and Toys too!

Bub

On 8/27/2021 at 2:21 AM, Bolt said:

They're waiting for Jesus to bring the pork chops🤪

21 hours ago, JB0 said:

Discotek only has so much money, and to be frank they're the only probable licensee. 

I can't guess as to what Big West's lioensing engine looks like, but I can think of lots of reasons that it would take more than four months from conclusion of the legal saga to release of BluRays.

i need dyrl with english subs before i die💀

On 7/24/2021 at 9:58 AM, Bolt said:

I love rewatching some of Frontier. And i like the music. But the 3d animation parts are painful to watch. I make an exception at the 14:24 mark, i guess..

Oh, I also often re-watch Frontier

work time

Azariy

Edited by mrchucks
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, uzernaem said:

Is the legal status of DYRL still not clear?

That's the stickiest wicket of all, since the distribution rights need to be sorted out.

Harmony Gold has the merchandising rights only.

5 minutes ago, uzernaem said:

How did that even happen? HG took no part in making DYRL.

Harmony Gold licensed the merchandising rights to DYRL? c.2000-2001 as part of their effort to stop the importation of Macross goods into the US. 

That particular move was intended to protect Toynami's then-pending Masterpiece Collection toys from having to compete against Japanese VF-1 toys.

9 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Harmony Gold licensed the merchandising rights to DYRL? c.2000-2001 as part of their effort to stop the importation of Macross goods into the US. 

That particular move was intended to protect Toynami's then-pending Masterpiece Collection toys from having to compete against Japanese VF-1 toys.

That sucks. Well IIRC they don't have rights for using Mikimoto's character designs and VF-1s in their own productions, right? Not that HG needs any rights other than merchandizing rights nowadays.

8 minutes ago, uzernaem said:

That sucks. Well IIRC they don't have rights for using Mikimoto's character designs and VF-1s in their own productions, right? Not that HG needs any rights other than merchandizing rights nowadays.

Eh... it sucked, past tense.  Now that the legal obstacles are cleared it shouldn't be a problem.  They just have to sort out whoever's got the film's distribution rights outside Japan and everything's good.  That's the real point of confusion.

Yeah, HG can't use the designs from Macross in new animation or live action because they don't have the intellectual property rights.  They can use it in stuff in merchandise like comic books, video games, toys, etc. tho.  Not that most of that stuff sells worth a damn for them anymore.

• 1 month later...

I think that what's going to happen next year for the Macross Franchise 

1. Some North American Anime Company (i.e. Funimation, Sentai, Viz, GKIDS, etc.) Is going to be releasing the Macross titles post-1987. Either the Macross II or the Macross Plus Blu-Ray release will happen first.

1.II If it is Macross Plus, or if this comes 2nd, the 2013 Japanese Blu-Ray release would be used as the basis for the North American Blu-Ray release of Macross Plus. Only some things need to change like for an Audio Track with the Original Japanese Soundtrack mixed with the English Dub as well as the International Soundtrack so it could satisfy everyone. With the movie edition. All they would have to do is used the transfer with English Subtitles. If it comes with a new Dub, it would be a welcome addition.

2. Macross 7's release....man! Where do I begin?

An English Subtitled-Only release would be logical, given the fact that it's nearly 20 years old and dubbing it would be a hassle for the obvious reason but if a dub were to be made, they cannot treat it like Fire Bomber American and call it a day. I would like to hear a somewhat good job from the ADR Team from Sound Candence (which these days are perfect for Retrofitting English Dubs for shows that are more than 10 to 15 years old) and they can't just do the TV series. They would have to go for the OVAs, the Short Movie, and Shorts.

3. After that, then dubbing Macross Zero to Delta would be much easier. For Scheduling the Macross Blu-Ray releases, it cannot just be released all at once. Give the entries at least 3 to 6 months in the limelight. If Streaming Services do pick them up, they would have to put out the Subtitled-Only versions out first.

Although it won't all release within the year of 2022, it would get Macross fans excited for releases like those. 

Anyways, Zethus out!

6 hours ago, Zethus said:

I think that what's going to happen next year for the Macross Franchise 

1. Some North American Anime Company (i.e. Funimation, Sentai, Viz, GKIDS, etc.) Is going to be releasing the Macross titles post-1987. Either the Macross II or the Macross Plus Blu-Ray release will happen first.

1.II If it is Macross Plus, or if this comes 2nd, the 2013 Japanese Blu-Ray release would be used as the basis for the North American Blu-Ray release of Macross Plus. Only some things need to change like for an Audio Track with the Original Japanese Soundtrack mixed with the English Dub as well as the International Soundtrack so it could satisfy everyone. With the movie edition. All they would have to do is used the transfer with English Subtitles. If it comes with a new Dub, it would be a welcome addition.

2. Macross 7's release....man! Where do I begin?

An English Subtitled-Only release would be logical, given the fact that it's nearly 20 years old and dubbing it would be a hassle for the obvious reason but if a dub were to be made, they cannot treat it like Fire Bomber American and call it a day. I would like to hear a somewhat good job from the ADR Team from Sound Candence (which these days are perfect for Retrofitting English Dubs for shows that are more than 10 to 15 years old) and they can't just do the TV series. They would have to go for the OVAs, the Short Movie, and Shorts.

3. After that, then dubbing Macross Zero to Delta would be much easier. For Scheduling the Macross Blu-Ray releases, it cannot just be released all at once. Give the entries at least 3 to 6 months in the limelight. If Streaming Services do pick them up, they would have to put out the Subtitled-Only versions out first.

Although it won't all release within the year of 2022, it would get Macross fans excited for releases like those. 

Anyways, Zethus out!

I think it would be best if they would just release them with professional subtitles. Since English dub singing can be hit or miss.

17 minutes ago, inukai44 said:

I think it would be best if they would just release them with professional subtitles. Since English dub singing can be hit or miss.

If it were dubbed, skip the Singing and keep it Japanese 

I'd be alright with English singing... if they actually managed to pull professional songwriters, musicians, and vocalists in to produce something actually equivalent in quality.

I've heard some amazing fan translations of the songs that do a decent job of retaining the original meaning, while still sounding like natural spoken English.  If they can manage that, I probably wouldn't complain, but otherwise I would rather hear the original songs.

I've listened to them so many times, I'm already at the point where I know the meaning of the lyrics in Japanese, so it's really all a wash for me anyhow. ^_^ 

39 minutes ago, inukai44 said:

That seems a weird way to go.

It's pretty common these days with dubs of shows with a lot of songs in them. I see it a lot. 

Though I would be fine with just subtitle releases for Macross shows.