Bigwest will do a global release of the MACROSS series... Games and Toys too!

Bub

Bbts had a really bad time getting the VF-25 renewal version right before the Macross lockdown hit, left a lot of us hanging, I think Altos VF-25 was the actual beginning of preorder madness when it first came out and they might be cautious this time. Then again this would be a great opportunity for Bandai to set up a new supply line to the US with BBTS and reissue everything from 1/48 to Hi-Metal, a Destroid 1/100  4 pack as an exclusive would be great! Repaint the Defender and Spartan, and release the standard Tomahawk and Phalanx. One could only imagine!

15 hours ago, Sluff said:

Bbts had a really bad time getting the VF-25 renewal version right before the Macross lockdown hit, left a lot of us hanging, I think Altos VF-25 was the actual beginning of preorder madness when it first came out and they might be cautious this time. 

The initial VF-25 Alto release was actually really easy to get I thought.  I remember just casually logging in one day and finding them on HLJ, and I don't remember any of the crazy F5 mashing circus, even for Ozma's release.

I think people were skeptical about the quality after they were burned with the v1, and hesitated to pre-order.  Ozma's pre-order started before Alto's released, and I think while demand was higher for his, it still had multiple order windows pop up.  The first one I remember being a nightmare was Michael's, which came out after the world had seen how much better the renewal was.

15 hours ago, Sluff said:

Bbts had a really bad time getting the VF-25 renewal version right before the Macross lockdown hit, left a lot of us hanging, I think Altos VF-25 was the actual beginning of preorder madness when it first came out and they might be cautious this time. Then again this would be a great opportunity for Bandai to set up a new supply line to the US with BBTS and reissue everything from 1/48 to Hi-Metal, a Destroid 1/100  4 pack as an exclusive would be great! Repaint the Defender and Spartan, and release the standard Tomahawk and Phalanx. One could only imagine!

I'm aware.  I brought that fact up in the e-mail.

50 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

The initial VF-25 Alto release was actually really easy to get I thought.  I remember just casually logging in one day and finding them on HLJ, and I don't remember any of the crazy F5 mashing circus, even for Ozma's release.

I think people were skeptical about the quality after they were burned with the v1, and hesitated to pre-order.  Ozma's pre-order started before Alto's released, and I think while demand was higher for his, it still had multiple order windows pop up.  The first one I remember being a nightmare was Michael's, which came out after the world had seen how much better the renewal was.

The Alto and Ozma were both easy to get.  They were casual pre-orders for me too.  Michaels was ludicrously stupid and it's largely never slowed down from there.

16 hours ago, Sluff said:

Why would Bandai do this through BBTS? Bluefin is Bandai's distributor and their subsidiary. If anything, @BluefinBrands need to bring over the Macross stuff in the US for a wider distribution. 

8 minutes ago, crackpot said:

Why would Bandai do this through BBTS? Bluefin is Bandai's distributor and their subsidiary. If anything, @BluefinBrands need to bring over the Macross stuff in the US for a wider distribution. 

Bluefin is a distributor for web/limited/P-Bandai releases.

For normal releases, Bandai sells to a large number of retailers.

43 minutes ago, crackpot said:

BBTS already sells other Bandai stuff and Bluefin doens't bring over everything all the time.  Not even every P-bandai thing gets a release by them.  They're playing fast and loose with the term "exclusive" I believe.

Though a good point to this, the moment there's a p-bandai Macross exclusive announcement everybody from this message board needs to FLOOD all of their sources of contact with messages about carrying those items.

13 minutes ago, Mommar said:

BBTS already sells other Bandai stuff and Bluefin doens't bring over everything all the time.  Not even every P-bandai thing gets a release by them.  They're playing fast and loose with the term "exclusive" I believe.

Though a good point to this, the moment there's a p-bandai Macross exclusive announcement everybody from this message board needs to FLOOD all of their sources of contact with messages about carrying those items.

Bluefin is owned by Bandai. I can't imagine Bandai playing fast and loose with the term exclusive on their own subsidiary. 

Yes, Bluefin doesn't bring everything over so BBTS is most likely importing them from overseas distributors. What are these items though?

Just now, crackpot said:

Bluefin is owned by Bandai. I can't imagine Bandai playing fast and loose with the term exclusive on their own subsidiary. 

Yes, Bluefin doesn't bring everything over so BBTS is most likely importing them from overseas distributors. What are these items though?

Some are p-bandai marvel releases.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Bluefin is a distributor for web/limited/P-Bandai releases.

For normal releases, Bandai sells to a large number of retailers.

I understand what Bluefin is, I was just thinking about an exclusive offering just like Target has exclusive Gundam Universe figures. I can't see Bluefin/Bandai doing any kind of mass market releases due to no media/marketing available right now for Macross, so they would be interested in a niche market via BBTS. 

8 minutes ago, crackpot said:

Uuuuuuuuuh... no. They are the exclusive distributor for anything Bandai.

20210729_175005.jpg

Distributor is not the same as retailer.

They distribute to retailers in the US through Bluefin, which is why the Gunpla kits sold at Barnes and Noble or Tower Hobbies have bluefin stickers.

There are also some retailers who buy directly from overseas distributors rather than Bluefin.

1 minute ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Distributor is not the same as retailer.

They distribute to retailers in the US through Bluefin, which is why the Gunpla kits sold at Barnes and Noble or Tower Hobbies have bluefin stickers.

There are also some retailers who buy directly from overseas distributors rather than Bluefin.

I never said they're a retailer. Your statement was Bluefin is a distributor for p-bandai and whatever limited items. And the rest are through Bandai.

My point is everything Bandai related (exclusive or not) in North America is through Bluefin. Sure, retailers can order from distributors overseas but if Bandai were to have a supply line of Macross stuff in the US, why would it be BBTS only when Bandai can distribute it through their own company (Bluefin) and have more retailers carry it?

30 minutes ago, crackpot said:

I never said they're a retailer. Your statement was Bluefin is a distributor for p-bandai and whatever limited items. And the rest are through Bandai.

My point is everything Bandai related (exclusive or not) in North America is through Bluefin. Sure, retailers can order from distributors overseas but if Bandai were to have a supply line of Macross stuff in the US, why would it be BBTS only when Bandai can distribute it through their own company (Bluefin) and have more retailers carry it?

No, I said that Bluefin is the distributor for web exclusives, and that for normal releases Bandai sells to a number of retailers. Which they do, even if it's through Bluefin in NA.

The point is that  as a consumer you buy web exclusives through Bluefin (who now manages P-Bandai.com US site) and you buy normal releases through normal retailers.

BBTS are just be one of many retailers selling Bandai products.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

23 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

No, I said that Bluefin is the distributor for web exclusives, and that for normal releases Bandai sells to a number of retailers. Which they do, even if it's through Bluefin in NA.

The point is that  as a consumer you buy web exclusives through Bluefin (who now manages P-Bandai.com US site) and you buy normal releases through normal retailers.

BBTS are just be one of many retailers selling Bandai products.

It's a matter of miscommunication then. You quoted my original post and I wasn't refuting any facts about distribution anyway. I was addressing @Sluff's suggestion of Bandai having an exclusive supply line through BBTS. His intent was more of a store exclusive rather than what I thought was exclusive distribution (supply line) so I brought up Bluefin having the job to do that. The way your response was putting @BluefinBrandsdistributing exclusives period. Bandai handling everything else. My response is Bluefin does both. Moving on. 

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

Some are p-bandai marvel releases.

BBTS is known to buy p-bandai exclusives (locally and internationally) and resell them much like the stores we buy TWE from. I've seen those items they've gotten from p-bandai Japan and the prices are significantly higher since they have to pass on the cost of international shipping. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Sharon Apple character design sure hasn't aged well in comparison to all the other idols.... though she looks a little creepy so maybe that was the bigger point.

What is the purpose of these 3D concert videos? I find them all to be universally awful and think it'd be better to just listen to the music without the computerized marionettes. 

18 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

They really just gonna ignore that whole "idol is psychotic love-starved computer who hypnotized an entire city and took control of its military just to virtually suck off her boyfriend" thing, huh?

Avoiding spoilers for a twenty-seven year old OVA they're planning to re-release to a much wider audience in the near future?

Mind you, they're also ignoring that Mikumo is Lady M's walking, talking, human rights violation... a three year old illegal clone created and brainwashed to fight by her "mother", kept as a virtual slave, and given only the bare minimum education and social interaction.

Or that Mylene is frequently less interested in dancing around Basara during concerts than she is in entertaining the innocent fantasy of garroting him with his own guitar strings for being a pillock.

5 minutes ago, jenius said:

What is the purpose of these 3D concert videos? I find them all to be universally awful and think it'd be better to just listen to the music without the computerized marionettes. 

Minimum-effort promotional material while their efforts are focused elsewhere.

I'd assume eventually, once their distribution agreements are in order, we'll start seeing proper Macross promotional materials or whole episodes appearing on the official channel like Gundam's official rest-of-world YouTube channel does.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

23 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Or that Mylene is frequently less interested in dancing around Basara during concerts than she is in entertaining the innocent fantasy of garroting him with his own guitar strings for being a pillock.

Only consideration for the band's fans holds her back.

34 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Minimum-effort promotional material while their efforts are focused elsewhere.

I'd assume eventually, once their distribution agreements are in order, we'll start seeing proper Macross promotional materials or whole episodes appearing on the official channel like Gundam's official rest-of-world YouTube channel does.

I'd bet this is on point. Toei does the same with their Tokusatsu youtube channel, it's pumping out classic shows from across the genre, including lesser known Metal Heroes shows and the much more locally famous Kamen Rider franchise. No Super Sentai there though, likely cause Shout Factory seems to have a licensing deal now. Toei has also been hammering down on fansubbers lately too.

Still it tells me that plus Seto's note on Gundam gives an idea of how Japanese media companies seem willing to use Youtube as a viable source of international release aside traditional international licenses. I for one am all for it, but I am a bit biased I suppose lol.

27 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Only consideration for the band's fans holds her back.

I'd always assumed it was because she couldn't think of a way to make it look like an accident.

14 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

Still it tells me that plus Seto's note on Gundam gives an idea of how Japanese media companies seem willing to use Youtube as a viable source of international release aside traditional international licenses. I for one am all for it, but I am a bit biased I suppose lol.

It's probably also a way of clawing back some money from the bootleg uploads too... if there's an official channel airing a rotating catalog of the genuine article for free, they can steal views from the bootlegs AND rake in some ad dollars while they're at it, and whatever its faults YouTube is a pretty widely used streaming service.

I just wish Big West would put a little more effort in.  These videos from their Macross mobile game aren't exactly great-looking or representative of the actual content of the franchise.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

On 8/24/2021 at 8:50 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

I'd always assumed it was because she couldn't think of a way to make it look like an accident.

Well, Basara was hang-gliding in and mysteriously, the strings from his guitar got wrapped around his neck during the landing he failed to stick. Mylene was simply...er...trying to unwrap them before he strangled to death, but the poor girl just wasn't strong enough.

Such a tragedy... I hope they can cope with his loss. 😛

On 8/24/2021 at 8:50 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

It's probably also a way of clawing back some money from the bootleg uploads too... if there's an official channel airing a rotating catalog of the genuine article for free, they can steal views from the bootlegs AND rake in some ad dollars while they're at it, and whatever its faults YouTube is a pretty widely used streaming service.

I just wish Big West would put a little more effort in.  These videos from their Macross mobile game aren't exactly great-looking or representative of the actual content of the franchise.

Agreed.

If they want another source of easy content they should release videos of the pinchinko animations. That way we also have a record of them to boot.

Then it's just getting the back cataloged sub-titled and released.

3 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

still waiting for dyrl with english subs. what's taking so long???

Discotek only has so much money, and to be frank they're the only probable licensee. 

I can't guess as to what Big West's lioensing engine looks like, but I can think of lots of reasons that it would take more than four months from conclusion of the legal saga to release of BluRays.

13 hours ago, JB0 said:

Discotek only has so much money, and to be frank they're the only probable licensee. 

*coughs diffidently*  HG seems to have sorted out the legal issues from their licensing intermediary going belly-up... so Robotech, at the very least, is now showing up in Funimation's streaming catalog.  If HG is assisting with distribution of Macross titles stateside, that means Funimation is a likely port of call too.