Bigwest will do a global release of the MACROSS series... Games and Toys too!

Bub

From a technical standpoint, I'm also interested in seeing the encoding analysis of the new discs. I'm not waiting on any miracles but it would be a nice surprise to see Funimation go above and beyond with this release and deliver a consistent bitrate of decent quality. That's one thing that could get me to reverse course and consider picking this set up. Another thing is if the original audio track is an available playback option. That would really give me a reason to upgrade my ancient ADV Robotech Legacy DVD box sets.

On 6/21/2021 at 12:03 AM, Shawn said:

image.thumb.png.77c090e1c905a6756135815f75ab7f93.png

Absolutely an improvement.

A friend of mine just gave me a BluRay that is an English dub of SDFM and it looks better for sure. It's also pretty funny because they swear a little in it. Especially Roy.:p

I have no idea where it came from. I should probably ask.

Edited by sqidd

Heads up. Macross kits are starting to make their way to North American distributors. 

I was in Hobbytown USA here in the metro Atlanta, GA area yesterday and an Aoshima VF-25 VFG kit was right there on the shelf.  The guy says he's not seen any Hasegawa stuff listed with his distributors yet, but its only a matter of time.  

Edited by Cowboy17

On 6/20/2021 at 9:03 PM, Shawn said:

Damn, you guys are really getting me down with all the 'robocrap' talk and what not. If you don't want to buy it fine, but try to stop all the echo-chamber negativity. Damn.

Not sure what you are all seeing, but I definitely see an improvement in picture quality and not just cranking up the brightness and sharpening.
While I'll hold out for a possible Japanese language set with english subs, I'm also able to recognize that this picture looks really good. Definitely interested in the source material they were able to get for this.

image.thumb.png.77c090e1c905a6756135815f75ab7f93.png

I agree that is a definite improvement, I was just hoping that we could get a western release of the Bandai Blu Rays.  Those are far superior than this remaster looks.  As others have pointed out, it is likely due to whatever master they had access to, which limits the quality of remaster they can create.  One would think, that with the current truce HG might be able to access the Bandai BR source for their release, or at least let the Bandai BR through.  That is my biggest gripe.

21 hours ago, hachi said:

This felt weird a lot of times because Mylene's mouth was moving but I couldn't hear her singing, it was mostly just Basara. Felt like she was just another prop.

Yeah, the vocal mixes aren't the greatest, or at least don't match what they're trying to do with the 3D bits.  They turned Mylene into a dancer rather than a bass player, and it messes with the band setup somewhat.

That being said, I never felt Mylene's singer was a good pairing with Basara's.  Their singing styles felt too different, and he just overpowers her in almost everything they do together.  I know Chie Kaijura can absolutely sing from her solo pieces, but Fukuyama is just crazy powerful, and her more subtle harmonies get lost in the blast.

This is one very strange case where I actually like the Fire Bomber American voice mix better.  That Mylene had a deeper voice, as I recall, and her harmonies came out much stronger.

Edited by Chronocidal

On 6/26/2021 at 1:49 PM, Cowboy17 said:

Heads up. Macross kits are starting to make their way to North American distributors. 

I was in Hobbytown USA here in the metro Atlanta, GA area yesterday and an Aoshima VF-25 VFG kit was right there on the shelf.  The guy says he's not seen any Hasegawa stuff listed with his distributors yet, but its only a matter of time.  

Oh that makes me VERY happy!! When Twentieth Century Imports was doing their imports in the early 80s you could find Macross kits at all the various hobby stores and general stores like Sprouse Reitz...where I would spend all my lunch money on 1/144 Macross kits  :)

The Good Old Days are coming back again!

On 6/27/2021 at 11:09 PM, Shawn said:

Oh that makes me VERY happy!! When Twentieth Century Imports was doing their imports in the early 80s you could find Macross kits at all the various hobby stores and general stores like Sprouse Reitz...where I would spend all my lunch money on 1/144 Macross kits  :)

The Good Old Days are coming back again!

Hoping for an SDF-1 reissue; would also love to see the old Imai VF-1 kits reissued (need some parts badly and some VF's I don't have yet!).

13 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Right here waiting for reissued chunkies.

Same,,,adding that to the list!

I'm comparing those shots to this one from the YT channel with all the Macross animations, and maybe it is just my eyes, but these, even at 720p still look comparable to the RT BR, if not a little nicer.  The Bandai one still looks to have superior color grading and noise reduction too.

yt-rip.png

The actual Bandai blu-rays are pretty amazing looking, dare I say the only way they could look better is if they managed to travel back in time and burn down the "Animefriend" studio before Tatsunoko had a chance to contract them.

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Making the next Macross movie accessible overseas could be interesting.👽

True. But then that would mean a few things:

• No teenager pilots coz it's dangerous and abusive`
  • No character build-up coz who needs it when you have great action CGI sequence
  • Weak plot coz see previous bullet
  • And most of all no fan service

:rolleyes:

59 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

• No character build-up coz who needs it when you have great action CGI sequence

The story I'm working on is the opposite of all of the above. 🏴‍☠️

Edited by 505thAirborne

53 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Agreed,  bruv. 
Specifically i mean that dropping the new movie in the west , out of nowhere, could be interesting.  And , I would hope , some of what you listed will be addressed (at least to SOME degree) in the new movie. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.  
Nevertheless, my faith in Deculture will , one day, pay off.

Edited by Bolt
Spell check

18 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Awesome. Will you be posting it on MW ?

Well it's not Macross related, yet when it's time to preview ( a few months from now) I'll put a post up here so you all can see it. B))

9 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Well it's not Macross related, yet when it's time to preview ( a few months from now) I'll put a post up here so you all can see it. B))

Looking forward to it. :good:

17 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Agreed,  bruv. 
Specifically i mean that dropping the new movie in the west , out of nowhere, could be interesting.  And , I would hope , some of what you listed will be addressed (at least to SOME degree) in the new movie. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.  
Nevertheless, my faith in Deculture will , one day, pay off.

You know what, I just realize that probably Macross Zero is more in-line with the West audience. I mean as far as my bullet list goes. ;)

17 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

You know what, I just realize that probably Macross Zero is more in-line with the West audience. I mean as far as my bullet list goes. ;)

Oh, for sure.  And, apparently, the current iteration of Macross ( idol dollar frenzy) is what the Japanese audience wants.. 

So..🤔

4 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Oh, for sure.  And, apparently, the current iteration of Macross ( idol dollar frenzy) is what the Japanese audience wants.. 

So..🤔

So... Robotech for us then, right? :db:

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

The boring story and flying log take it out of contention.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:32 PM, no3Ljm said:

The only thing that ruined Macross Zero for me was that it was just valkyrie vs valkyrie.

Give me those dogfights with at least one Zentraedi or Marduk mecha involved and I'll be glued to the screen.

I wonder with all of this if the west, more specifically, english speaking individuals, will get the opportunity to read the novelizations of Macross Zero, Frontier, Delta, 30, Plus...etc.  I enjoyed the translated novelization of Gundam Sentinel and would love to read all about the amount of material that is produced for these various Macross entries.  If this has already happened, please point me in the right direction.  Thank You,

Twich