Bigwest will do a global release of the MACROSS series... Games and Toys too!

Bub

5 hours ago, Bub said:

Meanwhile, Plus, 7, Zero, Frontier and Delta will act like advertisements promoting the Real SDFM and DYRL? making the rest of the world thirsty for the real deal.

All Macross is the real deal. Including the PS games, music concerts , manga and light novels, etc. 

While I would welcome ANY Macross in engrish, I'm not sure SDFM would set the world on fire. 

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

All Macross is the real deal. Including the PS games, music concerts , manga and light novels, etc. 

While I would welcome ANY Macross in engrish, I'm not sure SDFM would set the world on fire. 

Well, BW now being able to do the release would be (at least IMO) impetus for them to consider doing a new animated series for SFDM. Update the story a little bit (tech, terms and whatnot, maybe push the timeline a bit into the future like 2099 instead of 1999 for the launch of the SDF-1) and tailor the dialogue so english and Japanese dubs would work.

6 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, BW now being able to do the release would be (at least IMO) impetus for them to consider doing a new animated series for SFDM. Update the story a little bit (tech, terms and whatnot, maybe push the timeline a bit into the future like 2099 instead of 1999 for the launch of the SDF-1) and tailor the dialogue so english and Japanese dubs would work.

YAKH DECULTURE! SDF is good as is, not to mention it would seriously mess with the (admittedly rather loose) chronology of the series. 

Edited by Biomaster

Hey @jvmacross i feel ya bruv. SDFM and DYRL IS where it all began. But i know you , and many of us, have thoroughly  enjoyed it many times over. As is. What would REALLY blow my top, is seeing DYRL on the big screen. Subtitles or not. It's like the Rocky Horror Picture Show for us. We don't we need subs! :D

Edited by Bolt

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Yeah....I was hoping we'd get a theatrical release of DYRL in the US....but now I am not so sure it will happen...it seems it's status quo for all things SDFM/DYRL...

Well HG did release SDF to DVD... and I sincerely hope they think up of something for DYRL. DYRL is the biggest problem right now. 

2 hours ago, Biomaster said:

Well HG did release SDF to DVD... and I sincerely hope they think up of something for DYRL. DYRL is the biggest problem right now. 

I still have and cherish my Animeigo DVD set, but I could see it being difficult now for someone to pick up SDFM if they went looking for it. HG's web store doesn't have it. I couldn't find it on Amazon. It's listed on Prime Video on Amazon but every episode says "video unavailable", so I'm not even sure SDFM is streaming anywhere.

It's my modest hope that as BigWest begins pushing the Macross franchise in the west it will prompt HG to rerelease SDFM to Blu-Ray and streaming.

On a somewhat related note, is anyone else disappointed that every video after Flashback 2012 on the Macross YouTube channel is region locked? I subscribed to the channel the day of the announcement and every time they upload a new video it's "not available in your region".

3 hours ago, Radd said:

I still have and cherish my Animeigo DVD set, but I could see it being difficult now for someone to pick up SDFM if they went looking for it. HG's web store doesn't have it. I couldn't find it on Amazon. It's listed on Prime Video on Amazon but every episode says "video unavailable", so I'm not even sure SDFM is streaming anywhere.

It's my modest hope that as BigWest begins pushing the Macross franchise in the west it will prompt HG to rerelease SDFM to Blu-Ray and streaming.

On a somewhat related note, is anyone else disappointed that every video after Flashback 2012 on the Macross YouTube channel is region locked? I subscribed to the channel the day of the announcement and every time they upload a new video it's "not available in your region".

I hate region locking too. In general I've grown to hate regional restrictions actually, especially for unlicenced stuff. And to this day I want to find the dumb judge who rejected the original Japanese court verdict because it was a "foreign verdict" (typical American egocentrism). 

Edited by Biomaster

I'm going to be a Debbie Downer and say I think they've both lost their chance.  There was a period when this joint agreement would have meant that our dreams had come true.  I saw Gundam and Dragon Ball Z toys at Target today.  A North American fan who knows their anime will consider Macross of equal importance.  Everyone else maybe they've heard about it.   Delta did come out around 5 years ago.  I can see more specialty stores carrying stuff and small streaming services putting up some series but Macross lost its chance to be a global juggernaut.

12 hours ago, Biomaster said:

And to this day I want to find the dumb judge who rejected the original Japanese court verdict because it was a "foreign verdict" (typical American egocentrism). 

Not sure which of the myriad cases over the years that was, but... he was right? America isn't under japanese rule, and the japanese legal system has no jurisdiction in America. I'd be very concerned if a judge was overtly making decisions on how he felt rather than the laws he's meant to represent.

8 hours ago, JB0 said:

Not sure which of the myriad cases over the years that was, but... he was right? America isn't under japanese rule, and the japanese legal system has no jurisdiction in America. I'd be very concerned if a judge was overtly making decisions on how he felt rather than the laws he's meant to represent.

It isn't, yes, but when it comes to international court cases like this there is a special form of law regarding foreign rulings. In short, a judge has to consider the foreign verdict when it affects a subject from the country where he operates. Why do you have things such as extradition?

Edited by Biomaster

33 minutes ago, Biomaster said:

It isn't, yes, but when it comes to international court cases like this there is a special form of law regarding foreign rulings. In short, a judge has to consider the foreign verdict when it affects a subject from the country where he operates. Why do you have things such as extradition?

Extradition treaties exist precisely BECAUSE foreign law doesn't apply.

It is generally good for international relations to hand over people whom another nation desires for legal purposes, but is not at all legally required. Which is why, for example, some nations refuse to extradite people facing certain penalties. Nothing but good will is lost.

Again, I'm not sure which of the myriad cases over the years you're referring to. I'mma guess it was a trademark case, and trademark law is extremely regional(and US trademark law is significantly different from many nations' in some key respects for the great Macross IP war).

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

Extradition treaties exist precisely BECAUSE foreign law doesn't apply.

It is generally good for international relations to hand over people whom another nation desires for legal purposes, but is not at all legally required. Which is why, for example, some nations refuse to extradite people facing certain penalties. Nothing but good will is lost.

Again, I'm not sure which of the myriad cases over the years you're referring to. I'mma guess it was a trademark case, and trademark law is extremely regional(and US trademark law is significantly different from many nations' in some key respects for the great Macross IP war).

I was referring to the 2003 Japanese case specifically. 

11 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Gundam

Yeah, no. Most anime fans don't even give a damn about mecha. Even Gundam is niche nowadays, but the point about Macross is true. The ship has sailed a while ago... I'd say around Frontier would have been the right time to settle the goddamn ordeal, but alas. 

@Einherjar you're killing us :bigshok:

On 5/8/2021 at 7:09 AM, Biomaster said:

Yeah, no. Most anime fans don't even give a damn about mecha. Even Gundam is niche nowadays, but the point about Macross is true. The ship has sailed a while ago... I'd say around Frontier would have been the right time to settle the goddamn ordeal, but alas. 

Better late than never ! And besides, I don't care about how big of a splash Macross will make on this side of the globe, anymore. I just want more Deculture for me !

On 5/7/2021 at 6:31 AM, jvmacross said:

1500x500

Nothing but dark clouds for fans of the original SDFM and DYRL.....:cray:

This really pisses me off. I am also a Patlabor fan and I've been delighted to find out that an ultimate blu ray box with full TV series, two OVA series and three films, all remastered to amazing picture quality, can be had for $60. No such deal for SDFM and DYRL.

8 hours ago, uzernaem said:

This really pisses me off. I am also a Patlabor fan and I've been delighted to find out that an ultimate blu ray box with full TV series, two OVA series and three films, all remastered to amazing picture quality, can be had for $60. No such deal for SDFM and DYRL.

Eh... that was already a bit of a tangled mess even before Harmony Gold poked its oar in and started twenty years of fighting.

On 5/6/2021 at 9:38 AM, pengbuzz said:

Fingers and toes crossed brother!

I've been wanting that ever since I saw what they could do in CGI with Mac 0.

Edited by Zinjo

On 5/7/2021 at 4:36 AM, Radd said:

Animego's release was the best outside of Japan.  The audio was sourced from BW and they went to a lot of effort to remaster it from the limited source material they had. 

The HG dub was an awful mess and in many ways an insult to Macross fans.  Getting Mari to reprise her role in the dub really didn't work as well as they thought.  Her accent is still pretty strong which became a bit distracting.   As it was, I saw the first disc and that was more than enough to send me running back to my Japanese subtitled version.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:08 PM, Roy Focker said:

I'm going to be a Debbie Downer and say I think they've both lost their chance.  There was a period when this joint agreement would have meant that our dreams had come true.  I saw Gundam and Dragon Ball Z toys at Target today.  A North American fan who knows their anime will consider Macross of equal importance.  Everyone else maybe they've heard about it.   Delta did come out around 5 years ago.  I can see more specialty stores carrying stuff and small streaming services putting up some series but Macross lost its chance to be a global juggernaut.

A lot will depend on how they do it.  If they spend the money on quality dubs they could end up on streaming services like Netflix.  My plan would be to do quality dubs, translate the songs and re-record them just for the series.  But that is me....

There are several tunes that are pretty timeless (thank you Ms. Kano ;))

Edited by Zinjo

On 5/6/2021 at 9:38 PM, pengbuzz said:

I don't think changing the established dates is a good idea. Just think of it as of a parallel timeline to ours.

My wishlist for SDFM remake is the following:

1. Hand drawn mech action. I know it's much more expensive than cgi, but it is so sweet in DYRL and Plus.

2. More screentime and character development for Vrlitwhai and Milia. There's just too little of them in the original series.

3. Careful combination of SDFM (Hikaru's VF-1J, flightsuits) and DYRL (Zentraedi, civillian fashion) designs.

On 5/8/2021 at 4:08 AM, Roy Focker said:

I agree with you to some extent. There's so much anime out there that is mainstream and part of the popular culture now. The mecha genre is scuffed at by younger fans as well.

If BW and HG could have done this deal 4,5 years ago then a big Macross release could have had a bigger impact. If they had done it when Frontier came out, Macross would be colossal.