BW and HG agreement part II

josue

So I guess this is it.

From the official release on macross.jp. BW will be releasing everything after DYRL. TV series, movies, toys, etc. Too bad about the VF-1 kits tho.

Bigwest Begins Global Release of Animation “Macross” Series from April 9

Bigwest Co., Ltd. has announced the release of all works that are part of the “Macross” franchise made after 1987 to a worldwide audience from April 9, 2021. This not only includes the “Macross Delta” film currently in production, but all new material that follows it as well. This is not limited to anime titles, but also includes games, toys, live performances and other content and merchandising as well. The company has prepared an official YouTube channel as well as a Twitter account for its fans.

Twitter::@MACROSS_BIGWEST
YouTube:MACROSS ch
★“The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012” Streaming for Limited Time★
(※For outside of Japan only)

Bigwest has messages from members of the main creative staff behind “Macross,” Mr. Shoji Kawamori and Mr. Haruhiko Mikimoto, that the company would like to share with fans.

Shoji Kawamori:
For creators like me, our work only comes to life for when it is viewed by people.
It seems that the time has just started to move, after years and years of stillness.
I’d like to express my sincere gratitude to all the people involved who have helped bring Macross to the world.
Last but not least, I am deeply thankful for all the support and understanding from the fans around the world.
Together, aiming for further freedom, and a brand new deculture.
TO THE WORLD, TO THE GALAXY, Listen to our MACROSS song!!!!!!

Haruhiko Mikimoto:
Back when I was living in uncertainty, unsure whether or not I should become a professional creator or not, Studio Nue invited me to participate in their project and while I’m sure I caused some consternation for them, I was a member of the original creative team for the project that eventually was realized as Super Dimension Fortress Macross.
I was hesitant about making a career out of this field, but the Macross franchise was instrumental in compelling me hard to enter into this field of work that I do today, and for that it is a very special title to me.
On a personal level, I was frustrated not only over the fact that the global reach of the anime titles were impeded, but so too were all the production design sheets, the illustrations and the comics that were created through the involvement of many people.
I am very happy to hear that the situation has been sorted out enough that audiences around the world would be able to fully access all this material.
I humbly ask fans to please celebrate not only the anime titles that continue to evolve and change with each new series, but also support other material that is created to help promote the core titles, such as illustrations and comics, all of which are realized through the hard work on the part of myself and other creators!!

I love Mikimoto"s quote, and he can be damn sure as soon as any of his artbooks or Macross The First show up on Kindle, I'll jump to support.

It still hasn't phased me that Delta movie II will come out here domestically, I've still been in a waiting to import the Japanese release state of mind.

Edited by Keith

2 hours ago, seti88 said:

But should apply to any macross merch after 1987? :rolleyes:

Macross Flashback technically shows the VF-1 and the characters from SDFM and DYRL, so can't it be as easy as branding any toy or merchandise as Flashback and HG won't have a say on it? 

14 minutes ago, crackpot said:

Macross Flashback technically shows the VF-1 and the characters from SDFM and DYRL, so can't it be as easy as branding any toy or merchandise as Flashback and HG won't have a say on it? 

As part of the recent agreement between BW and HG, "  affirming Harmony Gold’s rights to the Robotech franchise " would mean HG's orginal stake is still on-going and recognised. 

My take is that BW and kawamori-san are more interested in moving forward and focused on dealing with macross related items after 1987, rather than splitting hairs with HG as per the original agreements.

Merchandise items that overlap HG, probably would have 'for japan only' stickers/branding. (i.e. upcoming SDFM DX armor and VF-1J bundles). 

The real test comes when it deals with post 1987 merch....like would you be able to get a YF-21 DX from a stateside distributor? 

Edited by seti88

18 minutes ago, seti88 said:

As part of the recent agreement between BW and HG, "  affirming Harmony Gold’s rights to the Robotech franchise " would mean HG's orginal stake is still on-going and recognised. 

My take is that BW and kawamori-san are more interested in moving forward and focused on dealing with macross related items after 1987, rather than splitting hairs with HG as per the original agreements.

Merchandise items that overlap HG, probably would have 'for japan only' stickers/branding. (i.e. upcoming SDFM DX armor and VF-1J bundles). 

The real test comes when it deals with post 1987 merch....like would you be able to get a YF-21 DX from a stateside distributor? 

Macross Flashback was released post 1987 that's why it's on BW's banner of series. The video itself is available on their international YouTube channel. If HG has a say on that, wouldn't that video still be region locked? I do think it's the only way for the associated designs to be released internationally is if it's branded under Flashback.

Edited by crackpot

Just now, crackpot said:

Macross Flashback was released post 1987 that's why it's on BW's banner of series. The video itself is available on their international YouTube channel. If HG has a say on that, wouldn't that video still be region locked? 

Yes, the fact that its not region locked, would read to mean, BW isnt concerned abt any HG pushback.

1 hour ago, crackpot said:

Macross Flashback was released post 1987 that's why it's on BW's banner of series. The video itself is available on their international YouTube channel. If HG has a say on that, wouldn't that video still be region locked? I do think it's the only way for the associated designs to be released internationally is if it's branded under Flashback.

I suppose if you really want to release the associated design merchandise under BW, you could try it under a flashback banner or something like that.

But I thk thats splitting hairs with HG, and my take is that BW and kawamori-san want to move on with macross sequels more, than to try and take down the old RT/HG fort. I would think macross sequels/delta makes BW more $ and has more potential $ than the originals.

Edited by seti88

Flashback might not be region-locked but it does still only have a limited viewing window.

Also, this does confirm if we're ever seeing a proper 1/3000 SDFM Macross they still have to play ball with the devil.

Just now, Mommar said:

Flashback might not be region-locked but it does still only have a limited viewing window.

Also, this does confirm if we're ever seeing a proper 1/3000 SDFM Macross they still have to play ball with the devil.

As long as the RT movie is still in play, BW has silver bullets filled with holy water.

So, If I am reading this correctly.
We can get SDFM and DYRL BluRays and Merch, we will just have to pay the HG tax.
Beyond that HG has no say.  So we should be able to expect (not soon)  any and all post DYRL books (translated), toys, series (Sub/dub), etc...

For getting the DYRL/SDFM toys, I can see ways that Bandai/Arcadia could get around that.
Mac+: VF-1J, Macross Refit, Nos-Ger, Monster
Mac7 Millia VF-1J, and anything that showed up in their production of DYRL, all the civilian VFs and Destroids
Macross F:  VF-1A (from the school), VF-1A (Fire Valk scheme)
Mac D:  Training VF-1s

I'm sure there are more that I am forgetting.

It is a limited number, sure, and HG might cry foul, but they'll be taking in their HG tax on all other releases that go stateside.

21 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

So, If I am reading this correctly.
We can get SDFM and DYRL BluRays and Merch, we will just have to pay the HG tax.
Beyond that HG has no say.  So we should be able to expect (not soon)  any and all post DYRL books (translated), toys, series (Sub/dub), etc...

For getting the DYRL/SDFM toys, I can see ways that Bandai/Arcadia could get around that.
Mac+: VF-1J, Macross Refit, Nos-Ger, Monster
Mac7 Millia VF-1J, and anything that showed up in their production of DYRL, all the civilian VFs and Destroids
Macross F:  VF-1A (from the school), VF-1A (Fire Valk scheme)
Mac D:  Training VF-1s

I'm sure there are more that I am forgetting.

It is a limited number, sure, and HG might cry foul, but they'll be taking in their HG tax on all other releases that go stateside.

You also got to ask how interested are BW in releasing SDFM blurays and merch in that assumption. Especially in light of macross sequels, that never quite got the chance. 

A free streaming or two to test waters(?) I dont know honestly.

But nevertheless, it sounds like a logical way forward to deal with things moving forward.

Edited by seti88

5 minutes ago, seti88 said:

You also got to ask how interested are BW in releasing SDFM blurays and merch in that assumption. Especially in light of macross sequels, that never quite got the chance. 

A free streaming or two to test waters(?) I dont know honestly.

But nevertheless, it sounds like a logical way forward to deal with things moving forward.

Given that HG has the distro rights, if they want to release Blu-Rays of SDFM and DYRL, for which there is a demand, then they will have to go the source and pay BW for the source files.  BW would of course charge them for that, so win for them there, and a win for HG as they would more then make their money back.

As for Bandai VF-1s, HG would be foolish not allow their import.  It would cost them nothing, but they would reap the rewards of applying the HG Tax to them, even if its say $10 per toy, that is potentially hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars they could reap from those who didn't want to import themselves, and it won't hurt BW in the least bit.

Now, I would expect that a streaming platform will pick everything up first, and HG would be stupid to not port SDF and DYRL (remasters) over to the same platform.  Again free and easy money for both sides.

Now just to wait and see how things start to trickle in.

31 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

Given that HG has the distro rights, if they want to release Blu-Rays of SDFM and DYRL, for which there is a demand, then they will have to go the source and pay BW for the source files.  BW would of course charge them for that, so win for them there, and a win for HG as they would more then make their money back.

As for Bandai VF-1s, HG would be foolish not allow their import.  It would cost them nothing, but they would reap the rewards of applying the HG Tax to them, even if its say $10 per toy, that is potentially hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars they could reap from those who didn't want to import themselves, and it won't hurt BW in the least bit.

Now, I would expect that a streaming platform will pick everything up first, and HG would be stupid to not port SDF and DYRL (remasters) over to the same platform.  Again free and easy money for both sides.

Now just to wait and see how things start to trickle in.

You have some points there.

Its up to BW to see how far they want to cooperate, (looks like BW has the upper hand) with HG, to push/pull the old stuff out, in light of macross sequels.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Imagine a world of fans seeing Flashback 2012 for the first time ever.....how could they not want to know what happens to these beloved SDFM characters next?....

But, no.....the next thing they will get from Big West will be these guys.....

large.Sivil.jpg.050d5206e6d04aa2d816b118

large.Gavil.jpg.9fe726d79749d5b2530da1b1

large.Protodevlun.jpg.3d04453ac27488d48c

large.20140322_162807.jpg.aa26f8986f7ec4

Welcome to Macross post-SDFM/DYRL/FB2012......:yahoo:

Just wait to you get to see the dancing VFs!!! :D

4 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Imagine a world of fans seeing Flashback 2012 for the first time ever.....how could they not want to know what happens to these beloved SDFM characters next?....

It'd be boring as heck unless they undo the plot resolution from SDF/DYRL. Again.

These characters deserve a happy ending.

2 minutes ago, JB0 said:

It'd be boring as heck unless they undo the plot resolution from SDF/DYRL. Again.

These characters deserve a happy ending.

I guess you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

A sequel can have nothing to do with undoing resolutions of previous shows.....it can just be a new story based on characters that actually mean something to fans.....they did that with M7 by including the Jenius family, they did not get a happy ending?

A happy ending is not possible with a direct sequel of the events of FB2012?  Seriously?  Apparently if you were in charge of the writing I suppose. 

It is amusing all the debbie downers that show up the moment someone posts any suggestions of a continuation of the series using the main characters of SDFM. :lol:

21 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

It is amusing all the debbie downers that show up the moment someone posts any suggestions of a continuation of the series using the main characters of SDFM. :lol:

Years of Robotech Macross Saga continuation attempts should have been be good arguments to keep most of these characters away from the spotlight moving forward, if only to avoid ruining them with questionable character development decisions.

9 minutes ago, Bolt said:

So ..subs or dubs..?

This is very interesting.

I prefer subs.

(Roast beef, provolone cheese, green pepper, black olives, lettuce, tomato, on white bread with a pickle on the side and Ruffles Cheddar and sour cream potato chips and a Pepsi.)

As for anime, subs. I feel they better preserve the original feel and intent of the anime, as the dubs can (in my opinion) lose something in the translation. Also, a bad dub can just ruin everything and leave those voices in your mind when you think of the anime!

39 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I guess you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

A sequel can have nothing to do with undoing resolutions of previous shows.....it can just be a new story based on characters that actually mean something to fans.....they did that with M7 by including the Jenius family, they did not get a happy ending?

A happy ending is not possible with a direct sequel of the events of FB2012?  Seriously?  Apparently if you were in charge of the writing I suppose. 

I mean,  the last time they tried to continue Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay's story it involved Minmay taking a crowbar to Hikaru and Misa's romance so the gang could rehash the love triangle.

And as for how happy Max and Millia are in Seven... their marriage is on the rocks, they're divorced in all but name, and their youngest daughter has run away from home to live with an autistic rockstar because her home life is so bad. Another of their daughters is a hermit on a frontier world that is about as far from the family as she can get.

I'm not sure that qualifies as happy.

17 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Years of Robotech Macross Saga continuation attempts should have been be good arguments to keep most of these characters away from the spotlight moving forward, if only to avoid ruining them with questionable character development decisions.

Huh?  I am not suggesting that the sequel be produced by anyone other than BW and the original creative staff.....we all know how ROBOTECH sequels have worked out...but I am quite surprised at how little faith you and other have in the original MACROSS creators being able to come up with something decent....but then again, these are the same folks that gave us everything else after 1987....:p

• azrael locked this topic