Bandai DX GBP Armor Set and VF-1J Armored Valkyrie

jvmacross

I have an extra set of armor that I plan to paint/customize to be Roy's color, but looking the tampo printing on the set give me pause. Creating decals for this project is kind of beyond me now.

Maybe waiting for Bandai to release the Roy and Max color is a better option but I have no faith that it will actually be available.

Anyone have interest in creating the decal as a joint project?

1 hour ago, kkx said:

I have an extra set of armor that I plan to paint/customize to be Roy's color, but looking the tampo printing on the set give me pause. Creating decals for this project is kind of beyond me now.

Maybe waiting for Bandai to release the Roy and Max color is a better option but I have no faith that it will actually be available.

Anyone have interest in creating the decal as a joint project?

I was hoping to do the same but the yellow strips are going to be the biggest issue. The only way I could come up with was to just do them as yellow stripes and lay them in at the angles they need to be. My skills aren't good enough for that though.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I was hoping to do the same but the yellow strips are going to be the biggest issue. The only way I could come up with was to just do them as yellow stripes and lay them in at the angles they need to be. My skills aren't good enough for that though.

I did think about masking some of the simpler shape (stripe, big letter and so on). Maybe with a bit of patient it is doable, but that is not very "scalable", ie my effort will not help anyone else. Decal is nice, once a set is done, many people who want to do the same will have an easier time.

I hope @Anasazi37 can chime in and share his opinion on how doable the decal effort would be.

I wonder how LEK did the decal for his DX custom. There are so many of markings. Anyone who own a LEK copy can share if the markings are decal?

Edited by kkx

9 hours ago, kkx said:

I did think about masking some of the simpler shape (stripe, big letter and so on). Maybe with a bit of patient it is doable, but that is not very "scalable", ie my effort will not help anyone else. Decal is nice, once a set is done, many people who want to do the same will have an easier time.

I hope @Anasazi37 can chime in and share his opinion on how doable the decal effort would be.

I wonder how LEK did the decal for his DX custom. There are so many of markings. Anyone who own a LEK copy can share if the markings are decal?

Had to dig up a picture of the Roy prototype that was shown at the Tamashii Nations event. Dark green with yellow sections on the chest and near the hands. Is that what you're looking to replicate?

1 hour ago, Anasazi37 said:

Had to dig up a picture of the Roy prototype that was shown at the Tamashii Nations event. Dark green with yellow sections on the chest and near the hands. Is that what you're looking to replicate?

Yezzir!

1 hour ago, Anasazi37 said:

Yes. Looks to be a simple enough customization, if we have the replacement decals.

Looking at the tampo, do you think it is a viable proposition?

1 hour ago, kkx said:

Yes. Looks to be a simple enough customization, if we have the replacement decals.

Looking at the tampo, do you think it is a viable proposition?

I took a look at it and aside from the yellow stripes it shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe they won't be 100% accurate. But I wouldn't think that necessary.

7 hours ago, sqidd said:

I took a look at it and aside from the yellow stripes it shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe they won't be 100% accurate. But I wouldn't think that necessary.

each of the decal on it own will be manageable, but there are so many of them. :( 

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

There are both yellow and white stripes in many places, not to mention the larger white markings like the number on the chest. Best way to tackle the stripes, for consistency, would be stencils or decals. They are pretty thin and have lots of angles. Since the underlying green is fairly dark, the yellow decals would have to be white-backed so they don't look dramatically different from the painted sections.

1 hour ago, kkx said:

each of the decal on it own will be manageable, but there are so many of them. :( 

Bandai has gone wild with the tampo on the SDFM and DYRL DX valks and accessories. They're a bit busy for me, so if you stick to the larger and more obvious markings, you might end up with something that looks better than the original.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Jumbosan said:

May anybody can tell me 

Can armored parts set  use with Movie edition VF-1S Valkyrie (Hikaru Ichijo use)?

because i don’t have vf-1j 

Shouldn't be a problem. The armor doesn't fit on a VF-1D only.

7 hours ago, Jumbosan said:

May anybody can tell me 

Can armored parts set  use with Movie edition VF-1S Valkyrie (Hikaru Ichijo use)?

because i don’t have vf-1j 

@chriswoo's Armored VF-1S post from previous page. ;) 

On 12/19/2021 at 5:05 AM, chriswoo said:

Yep Armor valkyrie is great and i can't stop posing them

805d567c-c4bc-45f0-96de-55d1c133571e.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jumbosan said:

Forget to ask one thing 

Can i remove the head from vf-1s to vf-1j that come with armored set ?

From what I've read from other members, VF-1S neck is different from VF-1J's. You can try though. But I don't think you will be able to rest properly the VF-1J head to VF-1S neck.

1360449528_1jhead.jpg.67327dc2820ff48607db439800f0919d.jpg

if i don't misunderstand  you mean the 1 J head joint  is smaller than 1S right? 
It means  that 1S head joint should not put on 1j neck because 1s head joint is bigger 
So we have to modify the joint by add some tissue or else  to make 1j head can put on 1S neck ?

vf-1j head.jpg

Edited by Jumbo

54 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

if i don't misunderstand  you mean the 1 J head joint  is smaller than 1S right? 
It means  that 1S head joint should not put on 1j neck because 1s head joint is bigger 
So we have to modify the joint by add some tissue or else  to make 1j head can put on 1S neck ?

@Froy wasn't referring to the ball joint. We're mentioning the neck itself. VF-1S neck is wider than VF-1J.

1992279176_vf-1jhead.jpg.d176de7cf492720ca03a90ef07a47db7.jpg.7b8fa181d40aa9e4f03920f865e1b715.jpg

1360449528_1jhead.jpg.67327dc2820ff48607db439800f0919d.jpg.20def3ac13001fff5def912dcae2a06a.jpg

Also the VF-1S neck shape is different from VF-1J/A.

ydEXQSgOKMcdpSJXWReC.png.jpeg.996f3cab47cf28510e7835d782776f61.jpeg

However, the DX VF-1J and VF-1A can do head swap like this post from @treatment.

semi-joons-dx.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm

27 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

@Froy wasn't referring to the ball joint. We're mentioning the neck itself. VF-1S neck is wider than VF-1J.

1992279176_vf-1jhead.jpg.d176de7cf492720ca03a90ef07a47db7.jpg.7b8fa181d40aa9e4f03920f865e1b715.jpg

1360449528_1jhead.jpg.67327dc2820ff48607db439800f0919d.jpg.20def3ac13001fff5def912dcae2a06a.jpg

Also the VF-1S neck shape is different from VF-1J/A.

ydEXQSgOKMcdpSJXWReC.png.jpeg.996f3cab47cf28510e7835d782776f61.jpeg

However, the DX VF-1J and VF-1A can do head swap like this post from @treatment.

semi-joons-dx.jpg

thank you very much

So bad that neck and head of 1s are too special then can't swap as 1j and 1A ><

12 minutes ago, Angesdad said:

Easy solution to that involves zero mod and messy swaps...GET THEM ALL! 🤑

omg !!!
Anyway, FYI,  i just took photo and found that 1s movie neck  is OVAL shape but 1j as i see in clip is circle 

274841401_459466109299295_7635494372560066603_n.jpg

8 hours ago, Jumbo said:

omg !!!
Anyway, FYI,  i just took photo and found that 1s movie neck  is OVAL shape but 1j as i see in clip is circle 

274841401_459466109299295_7635494372560066603_n.jpg

And that pointy thing of the neck is also one of the reason why you won't be able to slot in the VF-1J head. It will hit VF-1J chin area.

1360449528_1jhead.jpg.67327dc2820ff48607db439800f0919d.jpg.ad803ebe0b24f8cb220f0b7fbd8efed5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Angesdad said:

They must have flooded the market with surplus because the GBP set was at 14k yen for quite some time. Man, 10k is tempting for sure.

I don't think Bandai produces more than they have orders for. Or at least not by many. Starting with the Roy release it seems like the scalpers are still buying as many as they can.......but the secondary market is just not there like it used to be pre COVID. And now inflation. The Roy stayed at about $300 shipped on feeBay for almost a year after release. That is darn near cost to the scalper. They aren't making any money at that price point after shipping and fees (good). Only after the scalpers catch up and realize the market has changed will secondary markets return to normal. Not that normal was good. I prefer the new lack of/slow price increase after release.

22 hours ago, ValkAddict said:

PSA: looks like the stand alone Armor kit is now "common" leveling at 10,000 yen at Mandarake ...

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1192690823&ref=list&keyword=macross&lang=en

They have plenty available.

Yeah, this one has reached shelf warmer status fast. I hope it doesn't make Bandai reluctant to release more "risky" stuff. Like the VT or VE.

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

Yeah, this one has reached shelf warmer status fast. I hope it doesn't make Bandai reluctant to release more "risky" stuff. Like the VT or VE.

Not really a shelf warmer, since the initial release sold out, more of something they actually produced enough of to meet demand.

3 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Not really a shelf warmer, since the initial release sold out, more of something they actually produced enough of to meet demand.

I should have put "shelf warmer" in quotes. The modern Bandai "shelf warmer" is of course not the same as lets say a Yamato shelf warmer because in theory Bandai makes them to order. The Bandai "shelf warmer" is because scalpers went in heavy.......and got stuck with a ton of inventory. As far as DX's go I don't remember any that were as "shelf warmer" as these are. There are a TON of them on eBay. A lot of them ae being sold for what the scalpers have into them (cost).

Does Bandai care and are they going to make future decisions based on it? No idea. Most of what Bandai does doesn't make sense. If I had to wager I'd say they are at least aware and if the choice comes up to release a hero Valk or a VE (for example), they will go with the more likely sure thing.

I'll be surprised with the current supply chain issues (which are getting worse, not better) and rampant inflation that will most likely have an impact for 6-10yrs that we will be seeing things like VT's, VE's VF1S DYRL Max's, TV Kakai's, etc. It's not like Bandai has a good track record or releasing a whole set of anything in the first place.