Bandai DX GBP Armor Set and VF-1J Armored Valkyrie

jvmacross

48 minutes ago, Angesdad said:

I see someone mentioning that the upcoming GBP release is a "TV" version..heck, what are the differences, if any, between SDFM and DYRL? them armors lookin' all da same to me, thanks. 

It comes down to the colors of the armor.....TV being more on the grey side of the spectrum and the movie version being more on the Blue side....still both generally can be considered "blue"....

Additionally, the TV missile tip colors are red vs yellow for the movie version GBP.....

And now with the vast amount of tampo Bandai is providing us...we can also assume some marking will be different for each version....mainly the markings that ID where the GBP is stationed...ex. Prometheus vs ARMD

Images from Macross Mecha Manual (IMO the TV colors are completely off...they look too gray)....http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1j-gbp.htm

As seen on TV.....

Macross+1%253A48+GBP+Parts+Pic3b.png

As seen on the Movie....

Macross+1%253A48+GBP+Parts+Pic3c.png

...and the "hands" are different too...TV having bigger "clown" hands as shown below...and the movie having bigger "mechanical" hands as shown above....

Macross+1%253A48+GBP+Parts+Pic3a.png

Edited by jvmacross

8 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

It comes down to the colors of the armor.....TV being more on the grey side of the spectrum and the movie version ebing more on the Blue side....still both generally can be considered "blue"....

Additionally, the TV missile tip colors are red vs yellow for the movie version GBP.....

And now with the vast amount of tampo Bandai is providing us...we can also assume some marking will be different for each version....mainly the markings that ID where the GBP is stationed...ex. Prometheus vs ARMD

Thanks for explaining that @jvmacross! Well I have an empty spot on my shelf for a VF1J grey goggle or not.:)

To me...this is the ideal color for a TV GBP....not blue, not grey...bluish grey!  lol

a3bafd739a29389537ba8de9269ff8a2.jpg

Something close to the 283347 below....

color-hex.jpg

If the finished product looks like the one shown during the Tamashii video...I'll be good with it...seems closer to the 647187 above....

Edited by jvmacross

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

To me...this is the ideal color for a TV GBP....not blue, not grey...bluish grey!  lol

If the finished product looks like the one shown during the Tamashii video...I'll be good with it...seems closer to the 647187 above....

BTW the picture of the folks in the bottom corner, probably summarizes everyone's mood right now...:D

I would tend to agree with your color pick, but i would place the actual release a lil darker to be 1e2839.......... just because its bandai.

Lets see if there is anything to be bandai'ed abt when more info comes out..

and, i could certainly see some folks weathering this piece easy, to match the imai boxart!

Edited by seti88

8 hours ago, Angesdad said:

I see someone mentioning that the upcoming GBP release is a "TV" version..heck, what are the differences, if any, between SDFM and DYRL? them armors lookin' all da same to me, thanks. 

I also think the dead give-away of the TV version is the big ole hands

The display one at the event didn't even have these large oes...maybe they are protective armored GLOVES

yeah...thats it! 

image.thumb.png.227a1c63f94502f4194842cef1390ad3.png

image.png

7 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I also think the dead give-away of the TV version is the big ole hands

The display one at the event didn't even have these large oes...maybe they are protective armored GLOVES

yeah...thats it! 

image.thumb.png.227a1c63f94502f4194842cef1390ad3.png

image.png

The 1982 BIGWEST copywrite on the lower right corner gives it away....

p1f32l6bkrbkk1ddn1o6j1pk47424.png

2 hours ago, Guyffon said:

Also if I am not wrong, TV version has red tipped missles while DYRL has yellow tipped missles.

Based on past record....you can't trust Bandai on that...

Their HMR GBP release is a DYRL version, but they painted the missile tips red....

bandai_hi_metal_himetal_r_macross_valkyr

yeah definitely the TV version.  round fingers and bubbly hands.  red tipped missiles and the 1982.  bring it on.  hopefully it won't be too much of a PITA to get one.  after the gbp and the 1d i am hoping to be done with the DX valks.  i don't need to repeat what i did from the yamarcadia 1/60s.  lol.

16 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Make it whatever shade you want by turning your lights up more or less. :ph34r:

Good point, also if we're being real technical the colors show up differently on your monitors depending on how color calibrated it is...so pictures can be misleading, particularly digital ones. I don't have confidence in Bandai to nail colors, just see the recent release of the Metal Build F91 Chronicle White Ver....They should have called it Chronicle Yellow! All the promo images had it as a cooler white, but the real thing looks like...the same kinda yellowing you see on your aged valks due to UV. They pre-aged it for us! No worries about displaying it in sunlight now!

18 hours ago, jvmacross said:

a3bafd739a29389537ba8de9269ff8a2.jpg

color-hex.jpg

Man I have to say I really really dig the Roy color scheme...olive green makes it soooo military. Max's blue is too bright and oversaturated for me, but I guess ace pilot plot armor can be flashy?

4 minutes ago, leeboo1211 said:

Good point, also if we're being real technical the colors show up differently on your monitors depending on how color calibrated it is...so pictures can be misleading, particularly digital ones. I don't have confidence in Bandai to nail colors, just see the recent release of the Metal Build F91 Chronicle White Ver....They should have called it Chronicle Yellow! All the promo images had it as a cooler white, but the real thing looks like...the same kinda yellowing you see on your aged valks due to UV. They pre-aged it for us! No worries about displaying it in sunlight now!

Yeah, all points I don't bother mentioning much anymore because it doesn't matter...there will still be never ending posts with people comparing and complaining about colors using images that are nowhere near consistent in any way.

6 minutes ago, leeboo1211 said:

Man I have to say I really really dig the Roy color scheme...olive green makes it soooo military. Max's blue is too bright and oversaturated for me, but I guess ace pilot plot armor can be flashy?

Bandai took a deep dive into the archives on that one.....

IMG_3576_2__37666.1586663010.1280.1280.j

Edited by jvmacross

Ugh.....

Don't know if I want to get or not get (don't have a DX 1j however do have the Yammie's 1/48 Urban City Cameo and the Low-Vis 1a combo) or settle with buckets of Gummi Bears and build my own armor. :lol: