GUNDAM: NETFLIX is working on a live-action Gundam movie

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I don't think a new timeline would solve the issues you are talking about.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.  With Gundam I don't think they have a choice though, the anime designs look goofy in live action.

That's why as per:

@Seto Kaiba "If they're smart, they'll just go create their own Gundam timeline."

@Big s "A new timeline would be the best solution since you won’t have anyone complaining about ruined story lines or miss treated characters."

Nothing to compare with if they're just going to do an existing one.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

That's why as per:

@Seto Kaiba "If they're smart, they'll just go create their own Gundam timeline."

@Big s "A new timeline would be the best solution since you won’t have anyone complaining about ruined story lines or miss treated characters."

Nothing to compare with if they're just going to do an existing one.

If they make it too far off the original Gundam timeline (No Char, No Amuro) the will be damned for that as well.

8 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

If they make it too far off the original Gundam timeline (No Char, No Amuro) the will be damned for that as well.

*looks at G GundamGundam WingGundam XTurn A GundamGundam SEEDGundam 00Gundam AGE, Gundam Build FightersReconguista in G, and Iron-Blooded Orphans*

... I'm pretty sure they'll be OK if they don't stick to the original Gundam timeline.

51 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I don't know. But for me, I rather have them mess up unknown/new characters rather than existing ones. That goes especially for Char and Amuro. I like them both as is for Hollywood to mess them up.

On 4/15/2021 at 11:19 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

*looks at G GundamGundam WingGundam XTurn A GundamGundam SEEDGundam 00Gundam AGE, Gundam Build FightersReconguista in G, and Iron-Blooded Orphans*

... I'm pretty sure they'll be OK if they don't stick to the original Gundam timeline.

Likewise. I just watched Turn A last year for the first time and enjoyed it immensely.  As long as it's a well-written, engaging story set in the Gundam Universe, I think they'd be better off creating their own characters, as it'd give them more creative freedom and prevent the holy hell of fan indignation if they screw something up with existing characters, story, etc.

Anyone know if Tomino-san is involved with the Netflix project?

On 4/17/2021 at 11:36 AM, Old_Nash said:

C'meon guys.

A Robotech live movie can be more possible than Macross live movie.

Amd can be another Yamato live action...

Are you trying to get this thread shut down? Let's stick to the subject at hand, shall we? image.thumb.gif.b3128c6487dedf88a5d360818e9c319e.gif

Edited by Bolt

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Let's stick to the subject at hand, shall we?

All we have is speculation at this point... and the Space Battleship Yamato live-action film is a relevant example for comparison (perhaps even more so than the G-Saviour pilot film).

6 minutes ago, Syngyne said:

This is not a selling point.

To be fair, that Yamato live-action film had a lot going for it:

• spectacular CGI effects
  • gorgeous production design
  • a sumptuous and rich orchestral score, based on the original music
  • innovative costume design
  • a well-paced plot (something very rare with Yamato films)

It could've been a great film, were it not for one fatal flaw: the acting. <_<

Great acting may not be enough to elevate a cheap B-movie, but poor acting has ruined some of the most expensive films ever made.  Unfortunately, Japanese are not known for naturalistic performances to begin with, and Yamato cast pop musicians as the leads, rather than dedicated thespians; casting idols for their star power is a necessary evil in such big-budget endeavors, but even the accomplished actors in the cast gave broad, tongue-in-cheek performances more in keeping with a sitcom than an apocalyptic sci-fi drama.  Without the right cast (and the right director to set the tone), the same could easily happen when adapting Gundam for live-action.

I mean, has a good film ever been made from an animated TV series?  Are Detective Pikachu or Transformers: Bumblebee the best examples we have? :unsure:

No comment. Not until they say what they are doing. The Gundam-diaspora is so large and filled with alternate universes that they don't even have to follow the anime. At all. Until they actually say what they are doing, it's not even worth commenting.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

I mean, has a good film ever been made from an animated TV series?  Are Detective Pikachu or Transformers: Bumblebee the best examples we have? :unsure:

I thought Inspector Gadget was pretty good... for a family movie, anyway.

But Netflix's Gundam project is a western live-action adaptation of an anime series, and that's a very different animal because a painfully small number of western writers and directors understand the little things like subtlety and pacing.  Is it really going to feel like a proper Gundam series if the main character is Tommy Testosterone-Tits and the writers send him on your standard action movie killing spree intent on causing as much CG property damage as the budget can sustain with only the barest suggestion of a plot under the carnage?  Giant robots tend to inspire Hollywood writers to "mindless violence" screenplays rather than the kind of anti-war character drama that is usually Gundam's stock in trade.

Granted, anime movie adaptations have also come a long way from the "let us never speak of this again" era of Speed Racer and Dragonball Evolution and are now on the level where reviews can focus on specific poor decisions like wasting half a film justifying white-washing explicitly Japanese characters rather than just "Why have you done this terrible thing?".

4 hours ago, tekering said:

I think a lot of character is lost in the translation from animated (or any drawn media) to live action. I thought "Bumblebee" was great, but it still didn't hold a candle to the 80's animated movie. "Mask of the Phantasm" is my favourite Batman movie, and none of the live action films even come close. Same goes for "Into the Spider-verse" and the live action Spider-man movies. I think the Marvel MCU films are all fine, but I'd be more excited if they put the same kind of money into animated Marvel movies.

ETA:

That's not to say that live action has less character than animation, or animation is inherently a better medium, just that there's not a 1=1 translation between different forms of media. Take something that was live action and adapt it to animation and you both gain and lose character. Same with hand drawn animation to CG. Or CG to live action. It's going to be different and that inherently is going put it at a disadvantage with fans of the original material.

It definitely does not help if the people doing the adapting don't respect the source material or its medium and begin making changes in a bid to gain wider "mainstream appeal".

Edited by Radd

The thing an alternate universe story doesn’t have to do is be faithful to the original story and characters and source material. As long as they stay faithful to the basics and hire a few decent actors, then it could have some real potential. The effects on Netflix shows have been much better than some big budget films, so I’m not too worried about that in a Netflix Gundam movie. As long as the story isn’t totally stupid and the actors can hold up the action, it’ll work out. But who knows, it could also just fail miserably. We’ll have to wait and see. I might just be happy if it a cheesy mess like Robot Jox 

21 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I thought Inspector Gadget was pretty good... for a family movie, anyway.

But Netflix's Gundam project is a western live-action adaptation of an anime series, and that's a very different animal because a painfully small number of western writers and directors understand the little things like subtlety and pacing.  Is it really going to feel like a proper Gundam series if the main character is Tommy Testosterone-Tits and the writers send him on your standard action movie killing spree intent on causing as much CG property damage as the budget can sustain with only the barest suggestion of a plot under the carnage?  Giant robots tend to inspire Hollywood writers to "mindless violence" screenplays rather than the kind of anti-war character drama that is usually Gundam's stock in trade.

Granted, anime movie adaptations have also come a long way from the "let us never speak of this again" era of Speed Racer and Dragonball Evolution and are now on the level where reviews can focus on specific poor decisions like wasting half a film justifying white-washing explicitly Japanese characters rather than just "Why have you done this terrible thing?".

Dot'1 forget about Netflix' Death Note^^

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2021 at 2:20 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Granted, anime movie adaptations have also come a long way from the "let us never speak of this again" era of Speed Racer

Wait hold on, what was wrong with Speed Racer? That's damn near the most faithful adaptation ever, warts and all.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Wait hold on, what was wrong with Speed Racer? That's damn near the most faithful adaptation ever, warts and all.

What WASN'T wrong with Speed Racer?  

The Wachowskis produced, wrote, and directed an adaptation of a TV anime about professional car racing and made it about everything they could think of except the actual racing that was the source material's main draw.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:58 PM, crackpot said:

Me thinking: "Hmmmmmmm... just because you have somebody's Metal Structure on display and showed off "your" gunpla that I would trust Netflix's production or their version."

If anything, the idea that the live action Gundam film is potentially in the hands of fans makes me more pessimistic about its prospects... not less.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I agree, Speed Racer was amazing. Any hate is just the result of the usual senseless Wachowski hate.

Very much not a fan of this, especially given it's Netflix doing it. The only excuseable variant would be to do a completely separate alternate universe because there simply is no way to adapt 0079 without losing something. And the constant pointless gender and race flips are hideous. Make your own female/black/Asian characters for goodness' sake, don't piggyback off established characters! 

4 hours ago, Keith said:

Speed Racer was amazing. Any hate is just the result of the usual senseless Wachowski hate.

Just out of curiosity, do you use the same argument to defend the gawdawful Jupiter Ascending:unsure:

8 hours ago, kajnrig said:

It made me sick watching it and it was at best uninspired.  It was pretty faithful to the source material - and SR was not about racing (that was a sideline), it was about a spy who thought he was a racer OR a Monkey and Kid hiding out in car trunks - take your pick.

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

If anything, the idea that the live action Gundam film is potentially in the hands of fans makes me more pessimistic about its prospects... not less.

My bad for using the wrong punctuation at the end of my sentence. Should have been a question mark.

12 hours ago, kajnrig said:

They named the movie of Speed Racer, because they don't get the rights for Hot Wheels Acceleracers' movie