HG and BW reach an agreement (Link included)

If this agreement has nothing to do with the status of Macross merch (namely toys, books and other misc collectibles) outside of Japan...then it just seems like status quo for me.  I already have all the BD decently subbed bootlegs of all of the Macross shows and movies...there is no way I would ever pay real money for "legit" M7, MF or MDelta subbed or dubbed releases...one viewing was more than enough and some video pirate already got my cash! lol....

So I am truly hoping that Macross merch sales outside of Japan are indeed being facilitated somehow by this new agreement between HG and BW...otherwise there is nothing to see here...

I’m sure Tommy Yune, as the creative director for Robotech for almost 20 years now, will continue to green light more dumb ideas for that franchise even with this announcement.  A major difference now is that he will be more directly competing with the Macross series he has spent his career trying to imitate because the company he works for allows them to be more available to be watched and be compared to his works!

8 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

I’m sure Tommy Yune, as the creative director for Robotech for almost 20 years now, will continue to green light more dumb ideas for that franchise even with this announcement.  A major difference now is that he will be more directly competing with the Macross series he has spent his career trying to imitate because the company he works for allows them to be more available to be watched and be compared to his works!

TBH, I really doubt it.

I've spoken one-on-one to every member of the HG Robotech staff over the years, and the only "true believer" among them is McKeever.  I think Tommy and Steve will be thrilled to be off the hook for creating new Robotech IP and able to just do the convention circuit to talk about what exciting new Macross goods are coming out instead.  Harmony Gold is probably thrilled that they can give up on Robotech and just focus on collecting a percentage on Macross.  It's a lot less work for probably about the same money.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

49 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not sure if it's just a regional taste in my area or what, but out where I live there have been plenty of retailers carrying Hasegawa Macross kids since I was a kid... I never really thought to question it until nearly a decade later.

I never saw it where I am (Northeast US) in any shop (even the ones that imported Anime models). I finally got to work with the Hasegawa ones when a friend of mine here sent me a couple as a gift.

This announcement likely won’t make Valks less expensive (if merch even is included) - just easier to obtain. If anything, it will make them more expensive outside of Japan in theory. Though more access would drop some of the price gouging of the aftermarket.

Just now, pengbuzz said:

I never saw it where I am (Northeast US) in any shop (even the ones that imported Anime models). I finally got to work with the Hasegawa ones when a friend of mine here sent me a couple as a gift.

Must be a local thing then.  Here in the greater Detroit area, a lot of the shops near where I lived as a kid stocked Macross models without any indication that it was anything other than perfectly normal.  I'll be headed back that way in a couple days on family business, I'll check and see if the usual suspects still stock 'em.

Or re-release of merch for Zero, 7, 2, Frontier, Delta....heck, even Plus would be good. I can’t wait to see the benefits that those outside of Japan can reap.

twich

8 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

This announcement likely won’t make Valks less expensive (if merch even is included) - just easier to obtain. If anything, it will make them more expensive outside of Japan in theory. Though more access would drop some of the price gouging of the aftermarket.

One can only hope the Valks most want will be.

For some perspectives, I believe those Wing Gundam GFFMCs and Metal Builds were rather quite difficult to get from P-Bandai USA/Bluefin. 

39 minutes ago, twich said:

Had not even thought about video games too!  Really looking forward to seeing all the joyous things that see domestic US distribution.

twich

Especially after the Switch port of that awful 2D robotech shooter, Battroids have gravity in space! If we could get a Switch port of the Saturn/PS1 DYRL Shooter it'd be epic.

You know, guys?

Didn't DYRL BD contained a really good Macross shooter/adventure game entirely playable on US Playstation4?

I think Frontier BD and another release also had some Macross (PS/3?) games bundled as well...

edit:

I think somebody here also worked and uploaded some pretty accurate english-translated manuals for 'em.

Edited by treatment

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Had to run Kawamori's tweet through the google translate...better!

image.thumb.png.6fc1f3eadd3173697e98db78ab758ec2.png

Even he had to be shaking his head that Basquash was more internationally available than Macross.

1 minute ago, treatment said:

You know, guys?

Didn't DYRL BD contained a really good Macross shooter/adventure game entirely playable on US Playstation4?

I think Frontier BD and another release also had some Macross (PS/3?) games bundled as well...

I know the Frontier movies had games on 'em.

They were those weird "PS3 Combo Pack" editions.

1 minute ago, treatment said:

You know, guys?

PS3, and it was an amazing demo for a full game that got slogged down with RPG elements. ArtDink just published a train sim for the Switch, I wonder if they'd be up for doing another Macross game (without the boring RPG elements) 

29 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Must be a local thing then.  Here in the greater Detroit area, a lot of the shops near where I lived as a kid stocked Macross models without any indication that it was anything other than perfectly normal.  I'll be headed back that way in a couple days on family business, I'll check and see if the usual suspects still stock 'em.

You're in Detroit? For some odd reason, i thought you were in Australia! lol

12 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I know the Frontier movies had games on 'em.

They were those weird "PS3 Combo Pack" editions.

10 minutes ago, Keith said:

PS3, and it was an amazing demo for a full game that got slogged down with RPG elements. ArtDink just published a train sim for the Switch, I wonder if they'd be up for doing another Macross game (without the boring RPG elements) 

Yeah. PS3. 

I was playing this last year using the 0D:

macross-ps3-game.thumb.JPG.92dce17eb8c626a5ab45c2d5bdd27bf4.JPG

Not sure if it's a demo since I never completed it.  :p

Thought there was also a PS4 game bundled with another release...

Edited by treatment

14 minutes ago, treatment said:

Yeah. PS3. 

I was playing this last year using the 0D:

macross-ps3-game.thumb.JPG.92dce17eb8c626a5ab45c2d5bdd27bf4.JPG

That's the full game, the demo came with the first DYRL BD release (and is the reason the film was edited). To date there's no PS4 Macross release, the last ArtDink Macross game was Triangle Frontier on the Vita.

10 minutes ago, treatment said:

Pretty sure its just short... all of those extra games were pretty short.

It'd be nice if they ported them alongside a sub/dub of the movies they originally came with.  That's probably asking a bit much tho.  

13 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

You're in Detroit? For some odd reason, i thought you were in Australia! lol

Not in the city proper, but yeah I'm in the metropolitan area there.

I'm not aware of too many Macross fans out our way, but for some reason the hobby shops always seemed to have a few Macross kits banging around.

There's at least one or two other MWers in my area, I know... mainly because I've bought DX Chogokins from 'em.

30 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Had to run Kawamori's tweet through the google translate...better!

image.thumb.png.6fc1f3eadd3173697e98db78ab758ec2.png

And that is awesome he is playing with a DX VF-1J! :)

Considering how much time Macek and co. spend alternately badmouthing him and blocking his work from broader distribution, he must be feeling a real sense of vindication right now. :) 

Did the DYRL BD include a Macross 30 demo?  I played the full game and loved it, but all I remember on the DYRL disc was some sort of half-done version of Macross 30's engine, that let you play through some DYRL battles.  The way it played, I suspect it was a port of one of the PSP game engines, because the controls were far inferior to Macross 30.

2 hours ago, 1st Border Red Devil said:

Well, I'm currently watching the Battletech fanboys losing their freaking minds over this, which is hilarious. The amount of stupidity residing in this fandom is staggering. I posted a translated copy of the 1984 Agreement (from the HG v PGI document dump) and had someone point blank tell me HG never had any Rights whatsoever to SDF Macross, that a Japanese court said they didn't but that it was an American court that said they did. Literally, the entire HG & FASA awsuit fiasco and the documents involved, minus the new agreement between HG & PGI (which none of us are privy too) and they're still morons that cling to their Mandela Effect stupidity that Battletech isn't the result of actual copyright squatters (in this case, TCI).

I'm one of those Fanboys, SIR. But I'm not losing my sh*t over this. TPTB have already milked the CAD versions of the Unseen into designs remarkable but street legal. What i don't understand is how HG gets DYRL and not Episode Two of Macross Plus (with the DYRL Male PA, the dummy VF-1J in blue trim and the Monster cameo)?

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Did the DYRL BD include a Macross 30 demo?  I played the full game and loved it, but all I remember on the DYRL disc was some sort of half-done version of Macross 30's engine, that let you play through some DYRL battles.  The way it played, I suspect it was a port of one of the PSP game engines, because the controls were far inferior to Macross 30.

That's the one.

6 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

Just found out about this news. I can't believe an agreement actually came to be. I wonder how this will develop in the near future

Actual footage of the deal being made.