HG and BW reach an agreement (Link included)

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Potentially?  It's down to distribution licenses at this point, I suppose.

You could very well see Macross plamodels cheek by jowl with gunpla in Barnes and Noble in the near future.

After being denied all these years it would be a nice start. Get it to where Bluray's & DX toys become a thing and I'll be super stoked! 

Wow, this has been something else. I remember  the Yamato USA thing was going to deliver those Macross Plus toys, now the prospect of maybe getting a us distribution of Macross Series/OVA’s with official subs is almost too much. Good thing I am sitting down! I cannot wait to hear the details! Been waiting for this since 1985.

Twich

Just now, Shawn said:

Yeah- I guess I can look at it that way as a positive out of this, that wording helps a lot.
All the new series stuff (post original TV/DYRL) is now potentially available for us to get outside of Japan without a fight, so that is a positive for sure.

And I can now look forward to collecting a Japanese "Robotech the Live Action Movie" poster in the future. Wow, that really is a hard one to visualize LOL

The RLAM has me curious.  And I wonder if something regarding that brought BW to the table.  Maybe an actual, script, director and cast have been selected that BW can get behind.  Plus, if the RLAM focuses just on the Macross portion of RT, then it wouldn't be that hard to redub the names and rewrite keys scenes for Japanese export.  If done right, they could basically get two movies in one.

13 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

Based on the buildup to this, I got a feeling there is a huge catch that helped make this happen which Robotech fans are not going to like.

It could very well be the other way around. I can just picture everyone in this forum getting pissy if something like Macross Frontier gets released with a Robotech Frontier label like the Yamato 2199/2202/2205 series getting released as Starblazers 2199/2202/2205 etc even if the original content from Frontier is unaltered and has a faithful translation to the original Japanese version.

Just now, jvmacross said:

I wonder if Shoji Kawamori is ready to let bygones be bygones.....based on interviews he doesn't even like to address the hackjob they did to his work via Robotech.....guess money talks!

Probably not... but then, he likely didn't have any input in this decision.  Big West owns Macross, after all, not Kawamori.

If it allows those outside of Japan to more easily and less expensively to get videos/dvd/blu-ray/downloads AND to get Bandai/Arcadia toys, this would be a truly great day. I am in a state of shock over the possibility.

Twich

1 minute ago, twich said:

If it allows those outside of Japan to more easily and less expensively to get videos/dvd/blu-ray/downloads AND to get Bandai/Arcadia toys, this would be a truly great day. I am in a state of shock over the possibility.

Twich

Yes please. If this reduces my PO Madness anxiety/trauma I will be truly grateful!

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
wrods

8 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Indeed-look at the logos they show...so Macross TV and DYRL are HG, everything else BW

image.thumb.png.d677279a2454d3c87affc2b05d11c5db.png

This raises an interesting quandry... they're going to have to figure out who the hell actually has the distribution rights to DYRL? now.

Oops, it was ToyCom, not Sunwest.  Maybe we can see a revival.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/ads/toycomad.jpg
http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/ads/ToycomadbackcoverToyfare.jpg
 http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/ads/toycomad01.jpg

Edited by Knight26

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Probably not... but then, he likely didn't have any input in this decision.  Big West owns Macross, after all, not Kawamori.

Macross without Kawamori is Macross II....;)

But then again...it is also Macross Delta....

I wonder if we can at least now get a decent US BD release of the SDFM series and DYRL w/o the FB2012 bits?

Macross without Kawamori is Macross II....;)

But then again...it is also Macross Delta....

Sorry mate, but Kawamori's grubby fingerprints are all over Delta too.

I wonder if we can at least now get a decent US BD release of the SDFM series and DYRL w/o the FB2012 bits?

I know the head of Animeigo indicated some years back that it was unclear who owned the western distribution rights to DYRL?, but it's entirely possible that this breakthrough could lead to a proper US high-def release of either or both of those works. :) 

What a time to be alive. :) 

I had a feeling this was what was going to happen. Recent court battles were pointing to an agreement. Kind of a win with concessions..companies fighting snd lost revenue is dumb when an agreement can be hammered out. 

2 minutes ago, twich said:

Twich

The various macross-titles anime have been really really easy and rather either cheaply or no-cost to acquire. Whether dvd's, bd's, fansubs, or even HK bootlegs. 

The toys, uhhh, that's a completely different story.

But maybe Bandai will flood the US market with their Messer and other  unwanted undersold VF-31's/ VF-25v1-v2/YF-29's...

:bump:

Until proven otherwise, Macross TV and DYRL are all HG...so that means Funimation now right?
So we just need to push for a Funimation Blu-Ray subbed release with all sorts of liner notes and pictures of collectibles. I think if they reach out to jvmacross they could have it all :)

"....also confirms that Bigwest will not oppose the Japanese release of an anticipated upcoming live-action Robotech film"....

Is this movie further along than we thought?  This statement almost sounds like it is a sure thing.....

As far as we know, they have a story treatment and that's it.  No director, no script, no producers, no budget, nothing.  Every piece of news alleging progress on the film has been later revealed to be (false) rumor reported as fact.

This just means, I guess, that if Sony does decide to make a movie Big West won't lock them out of the Japanese market.

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

yep...this is why I said "but then again"....too subtle for you I guess

My apologies, too caught up in sharing the good news with our fellow fans I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I know the head of Animeigo indicated some years back that it was unclear who owned the western distribution rights to DYRL?, but it's entirely possible that this breakthrough could lead to a proper US high-def release of either or both of those works. :) 

I would pay to see this as a theatrical release...

I mean without the Valks, the SDF-1, and all the original designs, what would be the point of them even attempting a live action Robotech?

I just hope this means preorder madness becomes a thing of the past.

And can someone finally release an updated TV version of the Macross?!

I would love to see this mean downloadable purchase on like Apple TV, like what we were able to do with Macross plus many moons ago. I don’t have a PC or Mac, so download to iPhone or iPad are my only options for that. I would also like non bootleg or Malaysian releases(don’t know if they are official or not)

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

I would pay to see this as a theatrical release...

SAME.

If DYRL? got a theatrical release in the US, I'd be downright giddy.

I think I'm just confused at what this means, or could mean overall.  

So, BW is acknowledging HG's claims to.. what exactly?  The animation?  The designs and characters?

This sounds like it means that HG is just giving up on claiming any part of anything past SDF Macross and DYRL, so the rest of the series might be in the clear for international distribution.  That sounds great, I'm all for it.

But where does that actually leave us with regards to the original series and DYRL?  Does this mean HG is going to keep up the blockade on TV/DYRL merchandise to protect their own products, or does it mean that Big West will bring HG in to cooperate on international distribution on those?