• 1 month later...

So, has anyone seen the new Star Wars animated series?

279749534_JediorSith.jpg.750ca20b9701ed68cef7de229424fb37.jpg

The lighting and production design looks a lot like The Bad Batch...

365875927_BadBatch.jpg.ad3229289ce3b0c059545f1be05b4069.jpg

...but the character designs are closer to the early Rebels episodes...

Rebels.jpg.2386a5d1863d1c5d7636a4a168ce8e54.jpg

...and the droids are distinctly Clone Wars-era.

1139326721_CloneWars.jpg.6d380baaf38a4e2a1b54eed67de18558.jpg

Funny thing is, despite the reference to the Outer Rim, a hologram of Janeway shows up in the last 16 seconds of the episode...! :blink:

Silly show thinks it's Star Trek or something. 😅

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I guess Voyager did a very comprehensive and ludicrously detailed scan when it encountered the NX-01-A Dauntless in the Delta Quadrant, so much so that Starfleet, upon downloading and analyzing its database, decided to slavishly reverse engineer (in structure and tech) an alien ship that just tried to mimic a Federation vessel -- or what its sole occupant assumed would be a plausible revolutionary prototype Starfleet would build -- as a trap for the crew.  However, I can't criticize Prodigy too harshly for using this design as a proper future Starfleet vessel as I like the design quite a lot, and this show is by no means the only "offender"... Enterprise did it first in the episode where Archer is time-ported to the Enterprise J and a Dauntless Class ship can been seen flying by one of the windows.

That bit of tongue-in-cheek nitpicking aside, Prodigy and Lower Decks do scratch that itch for legacy Trek.  Two animated series do a far better job -- not perfect by any means -- of being true to the roots of the franchise than the live action offerings that can only be described as dreadful, and that's being generous; sure, I've read that SNW is supposably okay, but that, to me, is damning with faint praise -- like saying it is "good"... when compared to the other two unwatchable offerings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is from the Variety article...

The cancellation of “Star Trek: Prodigy,” the first* animated kids show in the “Star Trek” universe, comes despite the fact that the show was renewed for a second season back in 2021. According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, although the show had aired on Nickelodeon in addition to Paramount+, it will not be returning to Nickelodeon either. Those on the show will complete post-production on Season 2 and then CBS Studios will be free to shop it to other outlets.

So, it's possible we can still see the second season if it's picked up by another 'network.' But, Bejebus! They keep cancelling the shows I like. And what's with cancelling it if it is already that close to completion. Just air the dang thing without going through all these hoops!

On 6/23/2023 at 3:59 PM, Thom said:

This is from the Variety article...

The cancellation of “Star Trek: Prodigy,” the first* animated kids show in the “Star Trek” universe, comes despite the fact that the show was renewed for a second season back in 2021. According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, although the show had aired on Nickelodeon in addition to Paramount+, it will not be returning to Nickelodeon either. Those on the show will complete post-production on Season 2 and then CBS Studios will be free to shop it to other outlets.

So, it's possible we can still see the second season if it's picked up by another 'network.' But, Bejebus! They keep cancelling the shows I like. And what's with cancelling it if it is already that close to completion. Just air the dang thing without going through all these hoops!

OR they'll use it as a tax write off just like WB did with Batgirl and it'll never see the light of day. Wouldn't be a surprise considering so many potentially good shows just never get purchased from other outlets. 

35 minutes ago, Hikuro said:

OR they'll use it as a tax write off just like WB did with Batgirl and it'll never see the light of day. Wouldn't be a surprise considering so many potentially good shows just never get purchased from other outlets. 

It's like, me seeing the possibility of it being aired somewhere - and then you show up...

giphy.gif

They could license it out to another streaming service to gain a little more money back. Who would pick it up? Don't know. Lots of streaming services are eying cutbacks for the next couple of years.

At the very least, it's more or less a given it'll land on a few digital library-type services like YouTube, Prime Video, and so on... they already have the first season.

That said, I'm less than surprised that Prodigy is following Picard and Discovery into cancellation.  It's a well-executed bad idea.  Star Trek and the TV-Y7 demographic just aren't a good match.  Star Wars works for that demographic because it's morally straightforward and action-focused.  Star Trek likes to live in the shades of grey and get into themes that'd go over the heads of a TV-Y7 demographic.

Wherever it lands, if it gets renewed for a third season hopefully it'll get retooled for the audience that's actually watching it,.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...