Who thought this was a good idea?

This feels as bizarre and ill-conceived as Games Workshop's attempt to launch a Warhammer 40,000 young adult novel series.

11 hours ago, Dobber said:

Is that a young Janeway???

It's supposedly set just five years after Star Trek: Voyager ended.

This iteration of Janeway is credited as "Emergency Training Hologram".

Apparently a bunch of random kids in the Delta Quadrant find a derelict Starfleet ship with the Janeway training hologram aboard and decide to seek thrilling space adventure... which is about the last thing a hologram of Kathryn "Mama Bear" Janeway would ever condone given how Federation starships blow up if you look at them wrong and how very many Delta Quadrant races she pissed off to the point of homocidal intent.

49 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I sense desperation on CBS/ Viacom's part.

It's another attempt to take Trek back to fanbase-friendly waters, so kinda?

43 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

But, that begs the question, which fanbase?  Without really seeing anything but the promo image, what his honestly makes me think of is a Star Trek crossover with League of Legends. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's supposedly set just five years after Star Trek: Voyager ended.

This iteration of Janeway is credited as "Emergency Training Hologram".

Apparently a bunch of random kids in the Delta Quadrant find a derelict Starfleet ship with the Janeway training hologram aboard and decide to seek thrilling space adventure... which is about the last thing a hologram of Kathryn "Mama Bear" Janeway would ever condone given how Federation starships blow up if you look at them wrong and how very many Delta Quadrant races she pissed off to the point of homocidal intent.

Yeah...explodium, young kids and skewered diplomatic relations with angry alien races is not a good recipe by any standard.

When Gene Roddenberry came up with "to boldly go where no man has gone before", I don't think he was intending that for the directions Viacom/CBS ended up taking.

51 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

But, that begs the question, which fanbase?  Without really seeing anything but the promo image, what his honestly makes me think of is a Star Trek crossover with League of Legends. :lol: 

... well now I can't unsee it.  There really is a rather profound stylistic similarity between these promo shots and the promotional music videos made for League of Legends.

(Incidentally, a spot of research indicated that the studio that did those has also done work with/for Nickelodeon.  I wonder if the resemblance is purely coincidental...)

2 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Holy crap, I was just joking when I asked if it was Janeway! I thought their character just had an uncanny resemblance to her! Lol! :lol:

It is more than a bit odd that there'd be yet-another Starfleet ship lost in the Delta Quadrant so soon after Voyager's return.

Doubly so that it'd be carrying a training hologram modeled on Kathryn Janeway... a controversial captain whose actions in the Delta Quadrant saw Starfleet "reward" her with a desk job at the earliest opportunity.

1 minute ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah...explodium, young kids and skewered diplomatic relations with angry alien races is not a good recipe by any standard.

This is meant to be a kid's show... though the premise raises a lot of extremely uncomfortable questions if you think about it.

1 minute ago, pengbuzz said:

When Gene Roddenberry came up with "to boldly go where no man has gone before", I don't think he was intending that for the directions Viacom/CBS ended up taking.

Well... that's definitely the case for Picard and Discovery, but it's a bit early to say that for Prodigy.  After all, the man DID produce Star Trek: the Animated Series in all its screwball glory.  Odds are Prodigy will end up being a very tame, very bland sci-fi adventure series of the type Nickelodeon gets fifty pitches for a year.  It's pretty obvious the only reason ViacomCBS got a series order for this one is they own Nickelodeon.  

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Doubly so that it'd be carrying a training hologram modeled on Kathryn Janeway... a controversial captain whose actions in the Delta Quadrant saw Starfleet "reward" her with a desk job at the earliest opportunity.

Ah, she got the Isamu treatment.

1 minute ago, JB0 said:

Ah, she got the Isamu treatment.

It might be fairer to say she got the Kirk treatment.

Isamu Dyson only got set on a gradual course towards a supervisory desk job that took the better part of a decade.

Kathryn Janeway, on the other hand, was booted from the center seat and reassigned to fly a desk at Starfleet Headquarters less than a year after returning to the Alpha Quadrant.  The series finale of Voyager is set at some point after 5 April 2378 since one of the episodes set before it is set on the 315th anniversary of First Contact (5 April 2063).  By Nemesis in 2379, Janeway had been an admiral working a desk job for long enough that Picard is not surprised to receive new orders from her.

(Which actually raises the odd question why this Janeway hologram is a Captain not a Vice Admiral and wearing an outdated uniform for the period?)

11 minutes ago, Dangard Ace said:

Seeing how this show is under the Nickelodeon banner I expect plenty of cast being slimed.  

... and all I can think of is "so why aren't they bringing back Neelix, the patron saint of substances of questionable origin"?

"Get that cheese to sickbay!"

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 5:00 AM, pengbuzz said:

I sense desperation on CBS/ Viacom's part.

I think they're targeting younger audiences to attract new fans. It makes sense, from a business point of view. They don't have to create something entirely new and they can rely on the name of Star Trek. (Or not make the IP stagnant? That could be another.) Also, they maybe hoping to attract new fans, who will want to explore the other existing IP. The question is will the execution of this strategy going to be good?

31 minutes ago, hachi said:

The question is will the execution of this strategy going to be good?

Based on all available evidence, I'd say the answer is a resounding "no..."

...but hey, stranger things have happened.  Nickelodeon's 2012 reinterpretation of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles mythos turned out to be better than any previous cartoon, comic book, or film version, and remained fairly consistent in quality for five whole years! :o

Still, my expectations for Star Trek: Prodigy remain almost as low as they are for Picard's second season. <_<

• 1 month later...

Hahahaha. I just saw this thread, and the so called trailer.  They should just make a show called Star Trek: crap, or Star Trek: we have no clue what we are doing.  At least it would be honest.

paramount + indeed, they should call it Paramount - for all the money they are dumping.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:36 PM, sh9000 said:

In hindsight, I have to question who exactly they think this series is for...

Even most Star Trek fans won't subscribe to Paramount+, and the series doesn't exactly have a lot of kid's programming from what I can see of its catalog.

Who is the target audience?

The only thing I'm mildly curious about is how a random pack of alien kids finding a derelict Starfleet starship is anything other than a setup for tragedy.  I mean, these kids probably don't have the necessary skills or training to maintain a starship at all... and Federation starships are not exactly renowned for their sturdiness or rugged dependability being poster children for Made of Explodium.

Even most Star Trek fans won't subscribe to Paramount+, and the series doesn't exactly have a lot of kid's programming from what I can see of its catalog.

The only thing I'm mildly curious about is how a random pack of alien kids finding a derelict Starfleet starship is anything other than a setup for tragedy.  I mean, these kids probably don't have the necessary skills or training to maintain a starship at all... and Federation starships are not exactly renowned for their sturdiness or rugged dependability being poster children for Made of Explodium.

Also, wasn't that the plot of Yamato 2520?

The kid-crew will have plenty of plot-armor and 'rugged know-how,' to overcome all odds.

And they're in the Delta Quadrant, so I'm assuming the ship found its way there via the Caretaker..? And Janeway is a training hologram help them 'find their way.'

Edited by Thom

4 hours ago, Thom said:

The kid-crew will have plenty of plot-armor and 'rugged know-how,' to overcome all odds.

And they're in the Delta Quadrant, so I'm assuming the ship found its way there via the Caretaker..? And Janeway is a training hologram help them 'find their way.'

Pretty sure Janeway made a transporter clone of herself that she sent back to the Alpha Quadrant so that she could stay and rule the Delta Quadrant with an iron fist.

On 7/25/2021 at 12:35 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

I see tragic explosions in their future....

• 5 weeks later...