Macross Wallpapers

AlphaHX

Almost there, just need a pilot and some tweaks...

Some test shots...

The last one i randomly painted at photoshop.

If anyone wants to use them, fell free, don't need to give me credits.

Nice!

This model is definitely much more detailed...

Hey boss, were you able to make a render of the VF-25 with forward swept wings?

The ones you did earlier were great, except they didn't have a neutral background and you added motion blur...

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could use their great skills and create a wallpaper featuring the YF-19 Prototype #3 Bird of Prey (The orange and white one) I would greatly appreciate any type of wallpaper, featuring all three modes or anything. The reason is that I have this toy, I think that it is probably the most unique paint schemes for the YF-19 and really would like to have some more wallpapers of it.

Thank You,

Twich

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could use their great skills and create a wallpaper featuring the YF-19 Prototype #3 Bird of Prey (The orange and white one) I would greatly appreciate any type of wallpaper, featuring all three modes or anything. The reason is that I have this toy, I think that it is probably the most unique paint schemes for the YF-19 and really would like to have some more wallpapers of it.

Thank You,

Twich

I think the easy way for you is to take some pictures of your toy, then do some heavy editions at photoshop or another equivalent program.

Edited by akt_m

Did a batch render...

I hope it is enough ^^.

Also edited one of them at photoshop and made one wallpaper. The second one.

I'm not sure if the pilot is at the right proportions.

My sweet Lord!

Some of those renders look real!

I can only imagine how amazing those would look with textures....:ph34r:

Very nice! WOW

I think you managed to get the pilot size scale right...

Thank you

Now about those VF-25s with the VF-19 wings....:p

Hello,

Thank You,

Twich

I agree with akt_m, the easiest way is to take pictures of your toy in the poses you want on a neutral background, like grey or dark blue. Make sure the resolution is at least about 3000 pixels at a minimum of 300 dpi to maintain the detail level when shrunk down to a wallpaper size.

If you can't do it yourself, I'm sure several members with some Photoshop experience could cobble something together for you if you ask nicely...

Edited by Zinjo

My sweet Lord!

Some of those renders look real!

I can only imagine how amazing those would look with textures....:ph34r:

Very nice! WOW

I think you managed to get the pilot size scale right...

Thank you

Now about those VF-25s with the VF-19 wings....:p

I agree with akt_m, the easiest way is to take pictures of your toy in the poses you want on a neutral background, like grey or dark blue. Make sure the resolution is at least about 3000 pixels at a minimum of 300 dpi to maintain the detail level when shrunk down to a wallpaper size.

If you can't do it yourself, I'm sure several members with some Photoshop experience could cobble something together for you if you ask nicely...

Actually they do have textures, but i used automatic tools to generate everything. That's why it is all white. Coloring it the way it is now would a very boring task to do. Also to do it in the right way would take a lot of time.

Done some of the VF-25 with VF-19 wings. I guess there is some discrepance between the VF25 body and the YF19 wings...

Now that i saw, that 4th picture, i rotated the arm in the wrong axis. sorry!

I hope it is enough for you. ^^

post-180-129920111874_thumb.png

post-180-12992011488_thumb.png

post-180-129920117562_thumb.png

post-180-12992012026_thumb.png

post-180-129920640076_thumb.jpg

Edited by akt_m

Actually they do have textures, but i used automatic tools to generate everything. That's why it is all white. Coloring it the way it is now would a very boring task to do. Also to do it in the right way would take a lot of time.

Done some of the VF-25 with VF-19 wings. I guess there is some discrepance between the VF25 body and the YF19 wings...

Now that i saw, that 4th picture, i rotated the arm in the wrong axis. sorry!

I hope it is enough for you. ^^

It scares me to think what you'd do with a faster system...:o

Thank you!

If I could trouble you for a couple of more, similar to this one?

post-3243-12992152802_thumb.jpg

It scares me to think what you'd do with a faster system...:o

Thank you!

If I could trouble you for a couple of more, similar to this one?

post-3243-12992152802_thumb.jpg

The texture thing doesn't have to do with a faster system, it is something that would have to be done manually.

The texture thing doesn't have to do with a faster system, it is something that would have to be done manually.

I was referring to how you would mention the long rendering times for the new models...

I was referring to how you would mention the long rendering times for the new models...

It doesn't take THAT much anymore, i disabled some stuff and it speeded up.

This one for instance was rendered way back, i guess it took a while to render due to the global ilumination being enabled, anti-aliasing at better levels and depth of field. Going to upload to px

post-180-12992713683_thumb.jpg

Edited by akt_m

This one for instance was rendered way back, i guess it took a while to render due to the global ilumination being enabled, anti-aliasing at better levels and depth of field. Going to upload to px

Yeah. The thing is that many of the effects you employed in this render can be done easily in Photoshop instead of in your 3D rendering application.

You've seen this in the compositions I've done with your work. Working from a clear, clean base or image allows for much more manipulation in PS than something with an already rendered motion blur or the like. Special Effects can be added, but it's much harder to "work around" existing effects. Lighting is never a problem I've found, because it is just a matter of manipulating the background image to compliment the rendered light source on the fighter.

My last composite of the VF-24 with the blue horizon was exactly that. I manipulated the background to work with the light source already on the fighter.;)

Edited by Zinjo

Your models and renders look INCREDIBLE. Great stuff!

As for this particular image, I'm going to offer a critique. The depth of field makes the image stand out as fake to me. The reasoning here is that the DOF looks too shallow. Given the size of the pilots in the frame, we have to assume that we are either on a very wide lens or a long lens at quite a distance. Because the VF-25 in the background is roughly the same size as the foreground VF, we have to assume that it is extremely close, or that we're on a long lens. It does appear a bit close, perhaps only one or two wingspans away. But, with a wide lens, that distance would cause the object to shrink to some degree. So, I'm going to posit that we're on a longer lens and we're sort of further from the action. Let's say that we're no wider than a 50mm and it's possible we're as long as a 200mm (assuming we're using a 35mm CINEMA size frame -- I'm no good making these estimates with still size frames). I'm making the assumption that we've got our f-stop set at around a 5.6 (it looks pretty sunny out, it'd probably have to be way stopped down, but I'm throwing a bunch of ND filters on there for you, to get us a shallower DoF).

With a 200mm lens, we'd have to be 200' or more from the action to get the pilot that small in the frame, probably closer to 400'. At that distance, everything behind the focal point receding to infinity will look relatively sharp, and everything in front to 200something will also look sharp. Thus, that out of focus VF appears optically incorrect.

With a 50mm lens, we're looking at the VFs being around 100' away from the camera. Again, with this lens, at that distance, everything behind the focal point will be sharp, out to infinity, and everything in front up to 40' will be sharp enough. If I open up the f-stop to f1.4, we're still sharp until about 140' away. It's conceivable that this is the f-stop you're shooting at, and the other plane is 50' feet away, falling out of the focal range of this lens. BUT, in that case, it would only be slightly out of focus (enough to notice). AND, you'd have to have at least 8 stops worth of ND filters to get the lens that wide open, but the exposure that reasonable.

We can see that in the foreground VF, the front tail fin is sharp, whereas the rear tail fin is soft, meaning that our depth of field is actually shallower than 50'.

All this amounts to the optics of the scene being outside of the realm of our normal experience. What it reminds us of, though, is the sort of depth of field you see in Macro photography, of models and toys. And as a result, our brains and eyeballs conspire to suggest that this image is not real.

At the end of all that junk, it turns out that using up processor cycles and making your renders longer for DoF effects is sometimes just not worth it! :) This is decent information that any of us can take with us. Models can be super high poly. Lighting can be photometric with ambient occlusion and raytracing and refractions. Images can be HDRI with reflections. Textures can be photorealistic. But if the lenses we're rendering with don't behave like the glass we're used to seeing used in the world, the brain is gonna shout that something is off. Most of the time when I see a model that looks like a toy, it's because the distances and DoF aren't right. If I can see the entire SDF Macross in the frame, that means the camera has got to be standing pretty far away, or the lens has to be exceptionally wide. If we're focused on the bow of the ship, from a mile away, then the stern is ALSO going to be in focus.

ANYWAY, besides all that lens junk (I pull focus for a living), I LOVE LOVE LOVE your models and renders. I can't express enough how awesome this latest batch is. Don't for a second think that my camera-nerding out diminishes that.

Actualy i really don`t know how to setup properly the DOF, it takes too much to render so i really couldn`t experiment with it. And you are right, it made it look like a plastic toy in the end. thx for the critique! ^^

Heh. I have no idea how to properly do DOF in Max, either, mainly because it takes so much time, I've never had the patience to do trial and error tests with it. The fastest and most controllable way to mess with the effect would probably be to render it out with a Z-buffer channel, and then, in some program that extracts that info (like After Effects) mess with the settings. I dunno. I'm still very new to the render elements workflow.

OK another one.

I tried to depict the test flights of 1st generation VX-29's since we know the YF-29 was a cobbled together Vajra specific prototype. They had to start somewhere.

Using Aktm's original forward swept VF-25 as a basis and Ren's outstanding Macross Quarter as a background, I composited a wallpaper depicting Test 1 and Test 2 doing a flyby.

I could have used Aktm's superior new renders of the FSW VF-25, but it would have taken far too much work in photoshop to get the look I wanted, since those models only have a basic surface texture. So I opted for the less detailed, but textured old version.

I believe it was a better choice as they match well with Ren's MQ... The newer renders would have overpowered the image.

So here there are:

HD Wallpaper:

post-3243-0-80316400-1300641027_thumb.jpg

1280x1024 Wallpaper:

post-3243-0-21594000-1300641067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zinjo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the renders on this thread. Seriously makes me want to get my ass in gear and get that Macross 3D repository site launched ASAP once I get some spare money and free time. Might as well toss the one I did up on here from my VF-27 models. :)

post-8055-0-79368000-1307061218_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

I love the renders on this thread. Seriously makes me want to get my ass in gear and get that Macross 3D repository site launched ASAP once I get some spare money and free time. Might as well toss the one I did up on here from my VF-27 models. :)

Love the wallpaper, any chance you would be willing to provide get a high res version without the text and rendered jet glow?

I wouldn't mind playing with that in Photoahop wall to see what I could do with it.

The highest resolution you can make would me appreciated, since it is easier to shrink an image in PS than it is to blow one up.

The renders are so sweet!

PS: If possible a copy of that outstanding "Galaxy" graphic in hires too...

I'd appreciate the chance to play with this beauty...

Edited by Zinjo

Love the wallpaper, any chance you would be willing to provide get a high res version without the text and rendered jet glow?

I wouldn't mind playing with that in Photoahop wall to see what I could do with it.

The highest resolution you can make would me appreciated, since it is easier to shrink an image in PS than it is to blow one up.

The renders are so sweet!

PS: If possible a copy of that outstanding "Galaxy" graphic in hires too...

I'd appreciate the chance to play with this beauty...

I can do that I just need a few days or so- super swamped with life poo right now. Sure you know how it goes. What resolution are you looking for? I can render in any resolution.

Also, what do you mean by the Galaxy graphic? If you mean the logo, I have a high res PNG file I put on the logo thread. If you mean the Battle Galaxy itself, that's a stock image I photoshopped in from the Macross Fan Art Book.

Believe me, this is NOT a final product; I simply just have not had the free time to take it to the next level. I put that render together in about 5 minutes (Obviously not the model but the render scene- there's a few discrepancies that I didn't have time to fart with).

I just noticed that the Galaxy logo on Brera's VF is reversed...

It is. That's one of the render discrepancies. I'm actually SLOWLY working on redoing Brera's VF-27 material maps in a much higher resolution (The Brera VF-27 is actually using low res material maps while the Kurisu VF-27 is using high res... I plan on doing the same with Brera's, including fixing the tail number to 101 instead of 808, as I finally received my DX VF-27 figure and it's got 101 for the tail number, among a few other discrepancies and the fact that the engine intake nacelles, for some reason, rendered COMPLETELY BLACK and I didn't catch it until after the fact).

As far as the actual models go, I plan on making them available to the public, free for PERSONAL use (Non-Profit). Just haven't decided on how to go about it or where to host them and I'm HOPING I can get people to contribute their own models as well... hence, the 3D Model repository idea. I've seen some GREAT models floating around and honestly think that if we were to pool our collective resources together, we could make some VERY impressive images (Due credit given, of course).

As for the ACTUAL model of the VF-27 itself, I do not take credit for it. I commissioned the model to be made. I simply did the high resolution material maps and final tweaking, in which I'm still actually (slowly) tweaking it to have a full cockpit (canopy open) and a very detailed landing gear assembly, as well as FAST Packs (Of my own design since FAST Packs on the VF-27 have never been introduced). Do not ask what I paid for that commission... it wasn't cheap. But part of the agreement was that once completed, it become my sole property to do with as I wish as long as profit is not generated due to that becoming a copyright infringement with Big West and all other associated companies.

THAT said... IF we DO get a repository off the ground... that'd be one MAJOR stipulation- ZERO profit for ANYTHING produced out of it. With a ZERO tolerance for violating this.

I'm considering having three more models commissioned in the same fashion- the Battle Galaxy and Battle Frontier, and the YF-29 Durandal. I, myself, will be doing the AIF-9V (Galaxy) and AIF-9B (Frontier) Ghost variants.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, since Zinjo started getting into lighting details... that VF's shadow does not match the light direction of the background plate. It looks, from the shadows on the plate, like the sun is just almost directly overhead, but slightly behind the VF. The shadow should be very short, cast in front and very slightly to camera-right (VF's left).

Nice except the explosions in the background are too dark.

Fire is bright no matter how far away it is. To create distance, just blur it...

Okay, since Zinjo started getting into lighting details... that VF's shadow does not match the light direction of the background plate. It looks, from the shadows on the plate, like the sun is just almost directly overhead, but slightly behind the VF. The shadow should be very short, cast in front and very slightly to camera-right (VF's left).

Hmm, you might want to be more specific, brother...

"that VF" could refer to most of the wallpapers in the thread...:p