Macross Wallpapers

AlphaHX

I based this off of someone's wallpaper that was posted here before. I even used his Valkyrie Pics.

I just remade the whole thing because I wanted it at a higher resolution.

Pic Credits to Ikhii =P

I only used his toy pics as the Valkyries in the wallpaper, made every thing else though.

Link to Ikhii's.

Enjoy

63186_1.jpg

• 5 months later...
yeah that would be cool. you'll also have to explain to me how you color your line art so well. Normally GIF's look crappy but yours are superb!

I color line art in Photoshop CS, using layers and the "multiply" feature. It's quite easy and very user-friendly.

First, I make the best possible scan I can and then clean it with linear burns/dodges. This makes the lines definitively solid without losing the fine details and leaves the lines smoothed via anti-aliasing. Second, I then build a .PSD file (Photoshop's native format) using the line art as the top layer, set to "multiply". The multiply feature allows all subsequent layers (the color layers) to be seen beneath the line art layer, but the line art layer remains solid and is never colored over. Hence you can color anything and even introduce effects, all without ever disturbing the line art itself. But one can always modify the line art layer too, if one were so inclined :)

The problem with .gif files is they don't scale, not even in Photoshop. One has to copy and paste the contents of a .gif file into another format (like Photoshop's .PSD format) and THEN you can scale the pictures. For some reason I've never understood, if one tries to scale .gifs, it distorts the hell out of the image. Especially when you're shrinking something in a .gif file, the image doesn't scale properly and instead comes out all blocky. Very bizarre.

Almost all the pictures on my website are actually thousands of pixels wide/tall in the .psd format file, some as large as 6,000 x 3,000. Once a piece of line art has been colored and finalized, I flatten all the layers down to a single layer, resize the image down to roughly 800-900 pixels tall/wide and finally save them as a .gif file. This results in a high quality, near flawless picture for presentation on the Macross Mecha Manual.

I prefer to use .gifs because they are typically smaller files than .pngs and because .jpegs are notoriously awful for presenting line art. The compression of the .jpeg format always leaves these ugly artifacts all over the art. It would be a shame to go through all that trouble to make a high quality piece of colored art only to post it as an ugly .jpeg :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Some new ones I kinda slapped together for the group...

I took this fine Pixiv artist's (いぬい) work and wallpapered it up a bit (INUI - Romanized name):

All of these are 1280x1024.

post-3243-128442475461_thumb.jpg post-3243-128442477706_thumb.jpg

post-3243-12844248124_thumb.jpg post-3243-128442483601_thumb.jpg

post-3243-128442488148_thumb.jpg post-3243-128442493528_thumb.jpg

post-3243-128442496652_thumb.jpg post-3243-128442499139_thumb.jpg

post-3243-128442502584_thumb.jpg

I have a couple of more, but I'm saving those for the appropriate time...;)

Now some Wallpapers based on the work of an outstanding Japanese CG artist known as "ringpull1080".

These are 1280x1024

post-3243-128442520339_thumb.jpg post-3243-128442524323_thumb.jpg

post-3243-128442531649_thumb.jpg post-3243-128442535315_thumb.jpg

post-3243-128442539456_thumb.jpg post-3243-128442547746_thumb.jpg

Now the 1600x1200 Wallpapers bsed on ringpull1080 cg art:

post-3243-128442557818_thumb.jpg post-3243-128442567138_thumb.jpg

post-3243-128442571421_thumb.jpg

Onemore for those with HD monitors. 1920x1080

File is on the large size...B))

post-3243-128442588993_thumb.jpg

One I cobbled together from the False Diva poster:

1280x1024

post-3243-128442596278_thumb.jpg

I'll post more as I find them.

I've been making them up as time permits and they are all over the place on my HDD....:p

Edited by Zinjo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Using Ren's flotilla render and Takm's VF-24, I created this wallpaper making the assumption that some fleets adopted the VF-24 Evolution as their mainline fighters.

I only wish I could have had higher resolution images of both Ren's work and Takm's to work with.

HD Wallpaper 1920x1080:

post-3243-128840790906_thumb.jpg

1280x1024 Wallpaper:

post-3243-128840795005_thumb.jpg

Enjoy B))

Edited by Zinjo

Completely missed an important detail when I originally posted.

You posted here? :blink:

Nice background. Any chance of getting some 1920x1080 caps from the movie?

OK, the movie is about 2hrs long and thus has thousands of frames. You'll need to be more specific... B))

Notice how I had to edit my post... I put a smartass statement on there without actually reading your post and risked inserting my foot into my mouth if I hadn't removed it. :rolleyes:

Well, you took some caps from the series. I was kind of implying that you just pick what you like. However, it would be nice to have a good picture of Battle Frontier preparing to fire its Macross Cannon in both forms.

Notice how I had to edit my post... I put a smartass statement on there without actually reading your post and risked inserting my foot into my mouth if I hadn't removed it. :rolleyes:

I tend to avoid smartass statements unless I know my audience. I try to follow an ancient religion called "Netiquette" while posting.

Well, you took some caps from the series. I was kind of implying that you just pick what you like. However, it would be nice to have a good picture of Battle Frontier preparing to fire its Macross Cannon in both forms.

I do take screen grabs. I haven't done any of the movie yet, but that doesn't mean I wont... ;)

I've found that around here, if you ask politely, generally the membership will try to accommodate you. The keys are "Ask Politely" and "Give proper credit where it's due" ... (much like life).

I wasn't aware that I was being impolite in my request. If so, I apologize.

As far as my smartass comment goes, it was just a harmless jab with no malicious intent. However, it was just a bad comment, since I missed an important detail on a previous post. I had to do damage control before someone read it. lol

I wasn't aware that I was being impolite in my request. If so, I apologize.

As far as my smartass comment goes, it was just a harmless jab with no malicious intent. However, it was just a bad comment, since I missed an important detail on a previous post. I had to do damage control before someone read it. lol

I wasn't trying to imply you were impolite. I was simply stating a personal fact...^_^

Using Ren's flotilla render and Takm's VF-24, I created this wallpaper making the assumption that some fleets adopted the VF-24 Evolution as their mainline fighters.

I only wish I could have had higher resolution images of both Ren's work and Takm's to work with.

I may re-vist these later and make the VF-24's more "Frontier Blue" rather than the steel blue they currently are.

A couple of HD (1920x1080) wallpapers of one of the posters for Macross Frontier: The Wings of Goodbye

I'll try to make a standard def 1280x1024 version later, but I'm not expecting it to be as good as the full image...sad.gif

I did two versions with increased color saturation.

The second has more red which tends to bring out the colors better IMHO...

post-3243-128915762781_thumb.jpg

post-3243-128915765527_thumb.jpg

ENJOY cool.gif

Wow, these really suck wink.giftongue.gif

Just kidding. These are great. Always good to see more HD wallpapers.

Unfortunately since I don't have an HD resolution monitor (1920x1080) the motivation to make them is kinda slim, but that isn't going to stop me in future...wink.gif

I've been a very happy owner of an HD monitor for almost two years now (Samsung SyncMaster T240HD running at 1920 x 1200 resolution) and I can't sing it's praises enough. If you have the means, I highly recommend owning one. The only thing better would be TWO such monitors :)

Edited by Mr March

• 2 weeks later...

Zingo, i guess you were the guy who requested some renders from the "vf-24". Luckly enough i still had the older model with me. didn't had to do much to render it. some photoshoping may be needed to remove some defects, also at this resolution you can see very well that the texture isn't high-res.

post-180-129088530013_thumb.jpg

post-180-129088543334_thumb.png

post-180-129088556631_thumb.png

A couple more of renders...

if anyone wants to use it for derivative works etc, do so, no need to give me credits.

I just save straight from render to png, for some reason the background is missing, but it is just a plain blue background.

post-180-129097168076_thumb.png

post-180-129097174983_thumb.png

post-180-129097178789_thumb.png

Edited by akt_m

A couple more of renders...

if anyone wants to use it for derivative works etc, do so, no need to give me credits.

I just save straight from render to png, for some reason the background is missing, but it is just a plain blue background.

The plain background is PERFECT!

It makes lifting the fighter that much easier. Any contrasting monochromatic background works best.

If it is at all possible would be able to do a few belly shots and maybe a couple more angles? I am truly loving this model of yours... ;)

THANK YOU very much.

This should be fun... :D

Edited by Zinjo

The plain background is PERFECT!

It makes lifting the fighter that much easier. Any contrasting monochromatic background works best.

If it is at all possible would be able to do a few belly shots and maybe a couple more angles? I am truly loving this model of yours... ;)

THANK YOU very much.

This should be fun... :D

I will when i have some time, render takes some time and my computer now is obsolete, still with a pentium dual core.

I'm not sure if a belly shot would become good, there is less detail at the bottom part of the VF-25 model like the gunpod holes are missing, also most of the stripes aren't there.

Should i render it all white without any stripe then you could draw yourself all of it at photoshop in the way you want??

Edited by akt_m