[Netflix] Jupiter's Legacy

• Old_Nash changed the title to [Netflix] Jupiter's Legacy
5 hours ago, slaginpit said:

Looks cheap. 

Like a ko of the ko of theBoys. 

PASS

Jupiter Legacy might not be everybody's cup of tea but KO of The Boys it definitely isn't. The Boys is definitely edgier and more my style of reading but Jupiter Legacy isn't anything similar to that at all. :wacko:

• 2 months later...

When this first came out, I watched the first couple of episodes and the production values felt cheap. Even for network television standards.

Plus even with the changes from the books none of the characters were likable, at all. That's all I needed to be put off from it. 

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike
Edit because my keyboard does odd things at odd times

26 minutes ago, Thom said:

The effects, the acting and the writing seemed alright enough for me, YMMV. I watched a few episodes, and was thinking about more, but no, with it already cancelled what's the point of watching anymore?

Likewise. Perhaps my standards are low.  I did grow up in the 70's and 80's, so compared to what I grew up on, even today's low pro tv looks pretty damned good to me.  This was decidedly not low pro, but moving on. Anyway, I enjoyed the first season. I didn't think it did much new, but I did like the moral quandaries it presented and the story of how they got their powers was interesting, although it took awhile to get to it. Shame there won't be another season; I would have enjoyed it, I think.

11 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Likewise. Perhaps my standards are low.  I did grow up in the 70's and 80's, so compared to what I grew up on, even today's low pro tv looks pretty damned good to me.  This was decidedly not low pro, but moving on. Anyway, I enjoyed the first season. I didn't think it did much new, but I did like the moral quandaries it presented and the story of how they got their powers was interesting, although it took awhile to get to it. Shame there won't be another season; I would have enjoyed it, I think.

I would say my standards are also more pedestrian.😀

Fair, production values and "looking cheap" are all very subjective terms. To me, especially when compared to The Boys (I'm not going to compare this to a behemoth like Disney+) the show felt...off. The best example I can think of is how US daytime soap operas look compared to shows that come on primetime. I guess if you know, you know.

I will say that I was looking forward to this and wanted the show to be good and successful, but again, the characters just weren't very likable. Had they been engaging I could have easily gotten over/past how I thought the show "looked".

-b.

2 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Fair, production values and "looking cheap" are all very subjective terms. To me, especially when compared to The Boys (I'm not going to compare this to a behemoth like Disney+) the show felt...off. The best example I can think of is how US daytime soap operas look compared to shows that come on primetime. I guess if you know, you know.

I will say that I was looking forward to this and wanted the show to be good and successful, but again, the characters just weren't very likable. Had they been engaging I could have easily gotten over/past how I thought the show "looked".

-b.

I've not seen The Boys, not even a trailer, so I have nothing for comparison between it and Legacy. I didn't even know it was Disney, but The Mouse certainly has the larger pocketbook to fund these shows. Still, I thought JL looked good enough for what it was and the story it was telling. Mark Millar, the creator, seemed to happy with it as well.

I didn't mind the characters. I thought Duhamel, Bibb, and Daniels all did a fine job with their characters. Their daughter was a bit of a brat, but putting myself in her shoes, I can see how the expectation of being 'better' b/c of the hero thing would get overly preachy and stifling.  Perhaps I'm a bit myopic, but

Spoiler

I didn't see Ben Daniels' character's turn as a bad guy. Yeah he had simmering jealousy and a sometimes contentious relationship with his brother, but I didn't think he'd full on go villain. Being dull makes tv and movies more entertaining.^_^

Anyway, for what it was, I thought the show was decent, certainly no worse than anything on the CW, which tends to pander more towards the teen/early 20s crowd. JL had a little more maturity to it than that, IMHO. 

8 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I've not seen The Boys, not even a trailer, so I have nothing for comparison between it and Legacy. I didn't even know it was Disney, but The Mouse certainly has the larger pocketbook to fund these shows. Still, I thought JL looked good enough for what it was and the story it was telling. Mark Millar, the creator, seemed to happy with it as well.

Gotcha. Just to clarify, The Boys is on Amazon Prime, I was trying to say that I would not compare Jupiter's Legacy to anything coming from Disney - mostly because Disney could easily outspend everyone on the shows that they produce for Disney +.

Anywho, I truly hope the show or property finds new life on screen in some way shape or form - especially for those that enjoyed this.

-b.