Golg Boddole Zer Fortress Ship

Invid99

4 hours ago, Invid99 said:

Not so many talk about this ship, but I love it. Especielly this shot from DYRL. The fortress looks something from HP Lovecraft horror.

DYRL? deliberately reworked the Zentradi more overtly alien without taking away their basic humanoid appearance, and that meant going whole-hog on the already design aesthetic of their gear.  So their ships and weapons went from being organically-styled to actually part-organic.  

Boddole Zer's flagship in the movie is actually a lot smaller than its TV series counterpart, which was so vast that its height was equivalent to the length of the Japanese isles on Earth (1,400km).  The problem is it was so vast that there was no way to properly convey in the series just how astonishingly colossal it was.  Despite being only a tiny fraction of the size of its TV counterpart with a wingspan of 600km and a center section around 160km across (making the center section slightly larger than the second Death Star from Star Wars) it does rather a lot better job of looking big because it's small enough to be put next to something we can properly perceive the scale of.

11 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

DYRL? deliberately reworked the Zentradi more overtly alien without taking away their basic humanoid appearance, and that meant going whole-hog on the already design aesthetic of their gear.  So their ships and weapons went from being organically-styled to actually part-organic.  

Boddole Zer's flagship in the movie is actually a lot smaller than its TV series counterpart, which was so vast that its height was equivalent to the length of the Japanese isles on Earth (1,400km).  The problem is it was so vast that there was no way to properly convey in the series just how astonishingly colossal it was.  Despite being only a tiny fraction of the size of its TV counterpart with a wingspan of 600km and a center section around 160km across (making the center section slightly larger than the second Death Star from Star Wars) it does rather a lot better job of looking big because it's small enough to be put next to something we can properly perceive the scale of.

Didn't it looked a bit different in the tv version if I remember correctly? It's been a long time since I've watched Super Dimension. 

23 minutes ago, Gerli said:

I made this a long time ago, not sure if I nailed the correct scale.

I think you might have the movie one a little big in that shot... if facing front, the TV Fulbtzs Berrentzs-class mothership should be a bit over two Gol Boddole Zer-class mobile fortresses wingspans tall.  (2 1/3, to be precise.)

40 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I think you might have the movie one a little big in that shot... if facing front, the TV Fulbtzs Berrentzs-class mothership should be a bit over two Gol Boddole Zer-class mobile fortresses wingspans tall.  (2 1/3, to be precise.)

More like this?

Escalas-Macross.png

22 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Another problem with the TV version in regards to scale is lack of detail.  All those smooth flat surfaces do not do it any favors in regards to showing the scale of it.

There was only so much that they could do with the show's budget and the sheer scale of the thing.

It has a fair amount of surface detail in closeups, but from far away those details (realistically) become indistinct on an object as large as it is.