A sequel/continuation from DYRL and 82 series?

Invid99

I want a real sequel to the masterpieces from the 80's. To be honest, Macross Plus, Frontier and 7 wasn't great in my eyes, and they should be in their own universe. A new series or movie should disregard them and be a true sequel to the Super Dimension Fortress. 

11 minutes ago, Invid99 said:

I want a real sequel to the masterpieces from the 80's.

We had that.  Its name was Macross II: Lovers Again.  It did only so-so in Japan but pretty well in the west.  Had two tie-in video games, an official manga, a novelization, etc.

I believe you were complaining about it earlier.

11 minutes ago, Invid99 said:

To be honest, Macross Plus, Frontier and 7 wasn't great in my eyes, and they should be in their own universe. A new series or movie should disregard them and be a true sequel to the Super Dimension Fortress. 

You may need corrective lenses, then.

Macross Plus got kind of a lukewarm reception in Japan but western audiences even today laud it as one of the true Must-Watch titles in the mecha genre.  Macross 7 was such a huge hit in Japan that its popularity endures even today, nearly thirty years after its original broadcast. Macross Frontier... well... it wouldn't be unfair to say that show set the world on fire on its 2008 debut.  

In what seems to be a bit of a trend with the few new members who are obvious refugees from the Robotech fan community, your definition of a "true sequel to Macross" is the same dreary stagnation that has been Robotech's status quo since '86... and we all know how quickly that punishing lack of original thought 86'd Robotech's prospects.:rofl:

17 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Define what a "real sequel" would be, in your eyes.

Would like to know what happen to the SDF Megaroad 01. I miss the old characters of Hikaru, Misa, Minmay, Claudia etc. 

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

We had that.  Its name was Macross II: Lovers Again.  It did only so-so in Japan but pretty well in the west.  Had two tie-in video games, an official manga, a novelization, etc.

I believe you were complaining about it earlier.

You may need corrective lenses, then.

Macross Plus got kind of a lukewarm reception in Japan but western audiences even today laud it as one of the true Must-Watch titles in the mecha genre.  Macross 7 was such a huge hit in Japan that its popularity endures even today, nearly thirty years after its original broadcast. Macross Frontier... well... it wouldn't be unfair to say that show set the world on fire on its 2008 debut.  

In what seems to be a bit of a trend with the few new members who are obvious refugees from the Robotech fan community, your definition of a "true sequel to Macross" is the same dreary stagnation that has been Robotech's status quo since '86... and we all know how quickly that punishing lack of original thought 86'd Robotech's prospects.:rofl:

I hated how the Mardook was portrayed yes. 

Maybe I'm just a conservative anime lover of 80's and early 90's only. 

Love Macross II..Some of my favorite anime to this day is from the 80's. But yes, Macross has had a sequel and progressed on and on to be very successful . I love all of Macross. And , as many know (and some don't) Kawamori san has said , years ago, there will be no further story concerning the Megaroad.  Also, as it's been said already, M+ is big in the west. And even Zero , too. Most of us (not all) also love M7. 
Please remember that Macross isn't being made for you. It's for the domestic audience, mostly. Either you like it or you don't. Just don't expect it to ever cater to you and have an open mind. 
One last bit here. We nit pick and make fun of aspects of Macross here. But none of us are haters. We might not like the new idols, but we love the mecha. Or we like both but don't like the writing. But everyone here, loves some or most or all of Macross. Past and present.  If you don't like any Macross after SDFM. Maybe Macross isn't for you.

15 minutes ago, Invid99 said:

Would like to know what happen to the SDF Megaroad 01. I miss the old characters of Hikaru, Misa, Minmay, Claudia etc. 

Somebody better pick up that phone, because I f*cking called it.

32 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Seriously though, there's no story to tell.

Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay sailed off into the proverbial sunset aboard the SDF-2 Megaroad-01 and lived happily ever after.  That's it.  That's all.  No more to be said.  Their story's over and they're not relevant to galactic events anymore.  Somehow, I doubt you'd find much entertainment value in the Megaroad-01 sitting in deep space for months or years while they scout nearby systems and bank energy for their next fold jump with Hikaru and Misa's exciting forays into the world of midnight feedings, diaper changes, and pediatrician visits for their newborn daughter. :unknw:

Given what we know about what happened to the other original TV series characters via Macross 7 Docking Festival, I also find it rather doubtful you'd be very excited with what they did after the series ended.  Bruno Global retired and went into politics, and then they named a couple ships and an airport after him.  Claudia just kinda dropped off the radar.  Kim's an unmarried career soldier living alone with her dog who eventually becomes a Lt. General and the commander of Earth's defense fleet.  Shammy quit the military, got married, and had eleven kids with her husband at a colony on the moon.  Vanessa quit the military, got married, her husband's alcoholism destroyed their family business, forcing her to work as a hostess in a cabaret club and later become the manager of one.  Vrlitwhai got Global's old job as head of the military.  The Zentradi spy trio are all unemployed and mooching off of Roli's wife Vanessa.  Kaifun bummed around Earth for a while and then left on the Macross-11 where he became manager of an unauthorized Fire Bomber cover band.  Yot-chan, the annoying kid in UN Forces overalls, grew up to become the owner of the Nyan-Nyan chinese restaurant and turned it into an interstellar restaurant chain.

All in all, it's pretty humdrum stuff.  They get to quietly live normal lives out of the spotlight, for better or worse, instead of being dragged back for story after story and get pounded into the ground like a tentpeg until anything remotely likeable about them is long gone.

As a dead guy Lost on an island once said, “The most...important part of your life, was the time that you spent with these people. That's why all of you are here. ” That’s as good of any reason why I don’t need to see these characters again. 

• azrael locked this topic