YF-29 Break

blackconvoy_D01

I had that exact same breakage with my YF-29, after two years in the box I decided to finally take it out and saw that part broken. A tiny piece of plastic holding all that weight. 

No sign of anything on Shapeways, you find a replacement part let us know. 

It appears this break is common over the long term for all the YF-29s and renewal VF-25s..

Love these toys for the sculpt & engineering; not so much for the various durability issues. :unsure:

Edited by MKT

• 3 months later...
35 minutes ago, OzumaLIM said:

Question, how do i remove the broken joint ?

2.jpg

3.jpg

Somebody has the same issue in the Macross Maintenance thread.

First circled photo, to remove those metal pins you need a 'Roll Pin Punch' set. As for the second photo, I'm assuming those small winglets are the covers to expose the hole for the metal pin. Once you remove that you can probably use the Roll Pin Punch as well.

Hope some members can weigh in on how to remove those 'screw covers'.

6 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Somebody has the same issue in the Macross Maintenance thread.

First circled photo, to remove those metal pins you need a 'Roll Pin Punch' set. As for the second photo, I'm assuming those small winglets are the covers to expose the hole for the metal pin. Once you remove that you can probably use the Roll Pin Punch as well.

Hope some members can weigh in on how to remove those 'screw covers'.

wow, thank for the info, sorry for my broken english , i will go buy the set later and try it. but for the small winglets part, i had try to open it, but already got some crack when i try to "jimmied" it.

• 1 month later...

Just today I discovered my 25G and F both have a break on the waist hinge. I see the SHapeways replacement part available, what I was wondering was how you go about swapping the part? I can see some people discussing the nose hinge, but not the waist hinge. 

Any help would be really appreciated. 

8 hours ago, Scream Man said:

Just today I discovered my 25G and F both have a break on the waist hinge. I see the SHapeways replacement part available, what I was wondering was how you go about swapping the part? I can see some people discussing the nose hinge, but not the waist hinge. 

Some members have the same problem over the Macross Maintenance thread. @Bobby posted his fix on his YF-29. However, there's no photos of how it was done. But the way he described it is the 'area came apart quite easily in a way that made sense to be able to put it easily back together.'

I, for one, did open that area before on my VF-25 to tighten the spring that holds the metal hip joints. I can't inspect it as of this moment since I need to pack our stuff due to moving plans.

You have to open up the underside of the forward fuselage where there are 4 screws. You have to remove those screws to detach the entire crotch/hip section from the nose area. Once detached, you can just pop the crotch plate off and remove those screws and then you can access that part. I'm writing this from memory so I don't remember if there was a metal pin or anything like that holding it in place on the inside.

You're talking about this part, right??

1425143333_YF-29WIP001a.jpg.9ba846fc9a600ed0dff7b1c50a9b1bb1.jpg

14 hours ago, Lolicon said:

You have to open up the underside of the forward fuselage where there are 4 screws. You have to remove those screws to detach the entire crotch/hip section from the nose area. Once detached, you can just pop the crotch plate off and remove those screws and then you can access that part. I'm writing this from memory so I don't remember if there was a metal pin or anything like that holding it in place on the inside.

You're talking about this part, right??

1425143333_YF-29WIP001a.jpg.9ba846fc9a600ed0dff7b1c50a9b1bb1.jpg

Yep, thats the part! I was a bit cautious, as as it stands they both "work" in fighter mode and i was nervous to try and separate them and break it more. i had a look for youtube videos but couldnt see any. Once I saw here that someone had made replacement shapeways parts, I assumed it was possible to split that section to access the pins, but I havent been able to figure out where to do it. Getting the legs off at the hips is easy (I have done that many times to tighten various joints) but its detaching it from the underside of the central fuselage i cant figure out. 

Yep, thats the part! I was a bit cautious, as as it stands they both "work" in fighter mode and i was nervous to try and separate them and break it more. i had a look for youtube videos but couldnt see any. Once I saw here that someone had made replacement shapeways parts, I assumed it was possible to split that section to access the pins, but I havent been able to figure out where to do it. Getting the legs off at the hips is easy (I have done that many times to tighten various joints) but its detaching it from the underside of the central fuselage i cant figure out. 

Hey @Scream Man. Once you fix yours, can you share it in the Macross Maintenance thread for future reference. Thanks! :hi:

Good luck on the fix. :good: 

On 8/8/2021 at 12:02 AM, seti88 said:

Not only that, i have seen some paint their landing gears white!

DetailedAdeptGrub-max-1mb.gif.23c029a513dc88b4c6905ee64670b2e3.gif 

🙃

:ph34r:

21 hours ago, Scream Man said:

...But seriously, how do I take that hinge that keeps the waist/legs on apart?

Have to remove these screws to both access that hinge and separate the crotch area from the forward fuselage.

2043488872_removescrews.jpg.6a026877dd494bd2fe9f0fb138b9f88f.jpg

34 minutes ago, Scream Man said:

Is there a good way to get to those screws> There isnt a lot of room there to get to them, so I was trying to see if there was a way to get that whole section off first?

Nope. That section does swivel a bit, so you can turn it outwards somewhat to get at the screws.

Removing the legs entirely makes it easier.

2 hours ago, Special Sauce said:

How common are the issues with breaks like these on the Bandai DX toys?  It makes me a little fearful that it'll happen to mine some day.

Don't worry. You're not alone. I also have a bunches of DX figures. :rolleyes:

What I worry also is that how many more months or years until someone posted something about the DX Siegfrieds. ;)