Arcadia YF-19 Re-Issue and new Premium Finish

jvmacross

26 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

Blasphemy!

Haha, I know it’s not a popular opinion but my second favorite series is M7 so I know a lot of people don’t agree with that either. I even gave Plus another chance by bringing my whole family to see it in the theaters during that recent release so you can’t say I don’t support it but it did solidify how much I didn’t think it was good compared to the other series. 

26 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, I know it’s not a popular opinion but my second favorite series is M7 so I know a lot of people don’t agree with that either. I even gave Plus another chance by bringing my whole family to see it in the theaters during that recent release so you can’t say I don’t support it but it did solidify how much I didn’t think it was good compared to the other series. 

I’ll put words in your mouth to soften the blow. “It’s good just not AS good.” 😉

26 minutes ago, ValkAddict said:

FsBllntagAAAzSS.jpeg.484d2cfccb5202b82b8c14a26063866c.jpeg

Broke already?? A damn shame ...

You know, this unfortunately does not surprise me at all.

This is the same thing that broke on my original Yamato 1/60 YF-19.  The shoulder design has honestly always been bad, and insanely difficult to get into to repair because of the shoulder covers.  The original release was just plagued with original recipe VF-0 explodium, and those parts disintegrated.

This.. just makes me think something was tightened down too much.  Fortunately, this might be a fairly easy thing to replace with a printed replacement part.  It's really not a complex design.

I would hope so, but Arcadia absolutely does not need another case of shoulder cancer in their new releases.  It looks like it'll be prudent to loosen the shoulder screws before trying to move the arms at all... which I think can be reached, if I remember?

Frankly.. if this happens to mine?  The arms have next to no markings in the first place, I'll just swap in a pair from one of the original releases.

Also, a reminder.. if you want to take the leap to disassemble the wings and remove the high speed mode, Sculpteo still has my original replacement bracket design available in POM and acrylic.  Sadly, they discontinued their metal cutting service, but the other materials are much more affordable anyhow, and should be plenty sturdy. 

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/print/pom-wing-mount/ii6HRFai?basket=1&noclickredirect=1&uuid=sV8kLMUyFQxaLWonmDI6Ie

Just be aware, you will have to file away some of the longest edge of the bracket so it doesn't collide with the legs.  This was the first version of the file I added, and I never re-adjusted this pattern for the POM cutting process, which requires an added margin for the laser to melt.  If I ever find those original files, I might upload a revision, but the material is easy enough to modify by hand that I didn't think it was necessary.

Top is how the part arrived, middle is the one I filed down to not collide with the legs, and the bottom one is one of the metal ones I ordered, before they discontinued that material.

ss(2023-03-26at03_51.40).jpg.14af73ecb193c84c8c7f8e9b5843d95f.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal

That doesn't seem good...especially for overseas customers. One can GET to the should screws to loosen them up without transforming it right?
What could be the cause? Is there any paint detailing on the arms seizing up? Or perhaps over-zealous reassembly?

Did this affect either normal release? I didn't really follow it when it was out.

No, this is entirely new.  The shoulders have been solid on this ever since the original Fire Valk release, I think, which uses the same shoulder design.

I just messed with my older "beater" YF-19 that I transform and mess with all the time, and no, the screws to directly loosen that joint aren't reachable, even after transforming it.  They're covered by the shoulder pauldrons, and I'm not sure how those can be removed.  They're all glued shut.

The best option looks like it would be to remove the arm from the shoulder pivot, which can be reached without transforming the arms, just by dropping the legs, and lifting the torso using the spine linkage.  It's a tricky angle though, and you might chew up the body getting in there (though it wouldn't show with the arms transformed, so may not show in any mode).

ss(2023-03-26at04_13.57).jpg.686ff7bc77c8f64a2f7a936c8c8cdb27.jpg

Once that's undone, it looks like this would actually be an easy preemptive fix.  The shoulder comes free once that screw is out, and you can easily access the pivot holding the failing joint, and loosen it up (or swap out the arm for a non-broken one).

ss(2023-03-26at04_21.12).jpg.8c7c15953775c0605a17c15e5fe52032.jpg

What actually concerns me here is that I have to wonder if the weathering job is the reason for these breakages.  It's not hard to imagine them just applying all of their surface treatments to all the parts, without thinking about the effects that would have on the mechanisms.  The arms might be all glued tight with weathering compound. <_< 

Edit:  Just as a note, getting that screw back under the shoulder cover can be tricky.  Because of the angle, the best way I was able to do it was to drop the screw into the hole, seat it in the shoulder socket and give it a couple of twists to hold it steady, and then push the shoulder flush with the mount and screw it down tight.  You'll probably want a non-magnetized screwdriver to do it too, mine kept yanking the screw out of position. :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

From the post @treatment sent...that sucks!image.png.e567738934f936f0e8b7b27c0cb4f9e2.png

Do you think an old beater Yamato YF-19 might work? I see the arm itself is a diff color, but that particular joint it is mostly hidden. Those go pretty cheap on YJ...seen them for 6000 yen range.

Wonder if those posts will stabilize some of the recent secondary market sales prices for a bit.
I really want one of these, but I don't want a PTSD Yamato VF-11 leg situation, which that pic above activated.

Guess I just wait and see, maybe it is only a couple that are affected. Crossing fingers!

image.png.6eb0d95abc65a464f49f348b0a52094e.png

The old Yamato isn't going to work, because the entire arm mechanism is different, and uses a sideways hinge, instead of extending the elbow with a slider.  Any old beat-up Yamato VF-19 should do the trick though, if you could find spare parts.

The way these are breaking looks really wild though, as if they're being massively ham-fisted trying to rotate the arms.  If they're stuck that badly, someone at Arcadia really borked up the assembly or painting somehow.

It might be worthwhile for someone to Shapeways a replacement for those parts.  Now that I know how to get them apart, I might disassemble mine the whole way, and upload a model to test.

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Heh.. I just went to look at the product page on HLJ, and they've updated the release expectation to April now.  Wonder what's going on with their stocking situation.

Yeah I noticed that too while refreshing the page hoping to snag another.

Still waiting on shipping quote from AE.

Ouch. I just saw those broken arms. :shok: 

Hope some silicon oil can loosen up the joints. So be careful transforming guys once you got yours. :good:

These images that Shawn posted above looks awesome

image.jpeg.c99a5a2e2e92a39083b4d2071cd3c7d3.jpeg

image.jpeg.cfa3a6d41dd024dc945d0dc5766098c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.1432c668deb9ecb2dd8eae675c440ff6.jpeg

Edited by no3Ljm

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Ouch. I just saw those broken arms. :shok: 

Hope some silicon oil can loosen up the joints. So be careful transforming guys once you got yours. :good:

These images that Shawn posted above looks awesome

image.jpeg.c99a5a2e2e92a39083b4d2071cd3c7d3.jpeg

image.jpeg.cfa3a6d41dd024dc945d0dc5766098c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.1432c668deb9ecb2dd8eae675c440ff6.jpeg

Looks so good. Hopefully will receive mine by the weekend.