Arcadia YF-19 Re-Issue and new Premium Finish

jvmacross

11 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Maybe with the HLJ discount coupon I have plus cheaper shipping it might come out a little cheaper even with HLJ's mark-up... maybe... :unsure:

I think, even without a discount coupon, the VF-4 PF came out cheaper shipped express through HLJ than it did using FJ. Wasn't HLJ a 4K premium plus 4K shipping while FJ wanted 10K for shipping? 

5 minutes ago, jenius said:

I think, even without a discount coupon, the VF-4 PF came out cheaper shipped express through HLJ than it did using FJ. Wasn't HLJ a 4K premium plus 4K shipping while FJ wanted 10K for shipping? 

I think so, though I bought 2x units, which offset the costs and ended up being a wash.

I'm only going to get one YF-19, so unless the HLJ mark-up is way higher than 4 or 5k, it'll probably be better to order from them. If they even carry it.

I recently used FJ for the first time, & the shipping seem slightly, but just about noticeably higher than some other proxies or stores I'm used to. But I chalk it down to them calculating shipping charges before item is actually packed, similar to, say HLJ, Amiami or Mandarake Sahra. So its how accurate their packed-weight algorithm is, and how much margin for error they factor in for the packers to stay within the calculated weight, that affects the shipping charge.

I think this margin for error for FJ is higher than others, because when I weighted the package that arrived to me & compared to their charged shipping, their charged shipping weight was higher by about 15-20% as compared to actual package weight. Stores like HLJ seem to have gotten the weight algorithm down pat, & Amiami from memory of a few packages before, was about 10% variance at most. 

2 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

My PF cost $27 to ship via surface. 

3 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

My PF from fromjapan cost $125 to ship fed ex. 

Is it worth $98 extra to get it 8-10 weeks earlier? :blink:

I'm not judging, I'm just wondering how much patience plays a factor...

...or if FromJapan even gave you the choice. :huh:

It was a difference of $80 for me between the two, but FromJapan did give me a choice. I opted for the oversized shipping box and oversized shipping price. Oh well. The box itself could have fit two of Arcadia’s shipped VF-4s comfortably and three might have squeezed in if FJ used no extra padding/protection aside from the original shipping boxes.

I can see how it might be a better buy if you’re shipping more than one proxy item. Just one, though...ouch...:blink:

The PF YF-19 is already priced high to begin with. That kind of proxy shipping added on, with all the other versions in my collection, makes it hard to commit.

Edited by technoblue

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Yeah I’m just not that patient. I wouldn’t make a habit out of paying that. I’ll just shop more carefully from here on. 

1 hour ago, tekering said:

I can appreciate wanting it sooner.

I have such a huge backlog of things to open and display that another 10-12 weeks doesn’t matter to me.

4 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

Yeah I’m just not that patient. I wouldn’t make a habit out of paying that. I’ll just shop more carefully from here on. 

Ha! I understand that too well.

Shopping more carefully is probably for the best when picking up boutique items like these PF Valkyries. To share a related story, I started using another proxy shipper to deliver stuff from the UK once amazon.co.uk put restrictions on their overseas orders. Like FromJapan, this proxy also relies on DHL for fast shipping. The prices have been steadily increasing too. I have to wonder where things will end up once Japan Post, Royal Mail, and USPS pick up the international backlog again. 

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Yeah, it all depends. It’s never worth even an extra $10 to me. That adds up quick when you buy a lot of things from Japan. If I was paying an extra $98 per shipment, that could equal dozens of extra Valks I could have each year instead. 

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Even surface shipping from FJ was about 6k for 2 units. So even that option was rather steep.

I'll wait a bit and see if HLJ or someone else carries it. Hopefully by the release date the pandemic will have subsided enough for Japan Post to resume shipping to the States. And I can travel to Japan and pick up my 1D in person. :huh:

8 hours ago, tekering said:

In my case it was a gift for a friend, so the extra 2 months was a bit of a deal-breaker.

19 hours ago, MKT said:

I recently used FJ for the first time, & the shipping seem slightly, but just about noticeably higher than some other proxies or stores I'm used to. But I chalk it down to them calculating shipping charges before item is actually packed, similar to, say HLJ, Amiami or Mandarake Sahra. So its how accurate their packed-weight algorithm is, and how much margin for error they factor in for the packers to stay within the calculated weight, that affects the shipping charge.

I think this margin for error for FJ is higher than others, because when I weighted the package that arrived to me & compared to their charged shipping, their charged shipping weight was higher by about 15-20% as compared to actual package weight. Stores like HLJ seem to have gotten the weight algorithm down pat, & Amiami from memory of a few packages before, was about 10% variance at most. 

their shipping is not base on actual weight.  For Fedex and DHL, its base on dim weight. 

1 hour ago, Corrinald said:

As it hasn't appeared for sale anywhere else yet, I decided to bite the bullet too and order one through FJ. Got the confirmation a few days ago and made the Charge 1 payment, but my order is still only pending. 

Did they charge you the full price or just the deposit?

7 minutes ago, HayateAltoHunter said:

I got charged full price....even though the arcadia page shows a deposit amount.

Thanks!

I guess they learned from the last Arcadia web exclusive lol

I'm going to hold off for now...must resist :ph34r:

I'm curious on the 'deposit' topic regarding FJ. Did they do that prior? I mean, why do they follow that knowing that when we place orders for Bandai's TWE stuff, we get to pay it upfront. No deposit whatsoever. I'm just curious.

Would be nice though if they just start accepting deposits for some TWE stuff instead of paying the whole price. I mean, even P-Bandai itself doesn't take the money until the item is ready to ship, right? Anyways. :lol: 

20 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I was charged deposit on my first PF VF-4 but then full price up front on the second. I think they just made a mistake the first time around. Charging full price up front has always been their MO.

This does seem to be the case. The deposit payment up front only for the PF VF-4 was a nice break, but I think it was just a goof.

FJ got back to me and confirmed that my order for the YF-19 went through. They said it shows as pending because they have only made the deposit with Arcadia. They will pay the balance around a month before the release and then it the status will change.

2 hours ago, Corrinald said:

I was going to gripe that of course now that I ordered and paid up front HLJ put it up for sale but wow there's some markup.

https://www.hlj.com/1-60-scale-complete-transformation-yf-19-with-fast-pack-premium-finish-acamrk821572

Oof. That is significant. I was hoping for a 4500-5000 yen markup at hlj. At that price, I'm going to stick with FJ and, if the shipping situation is still stuck in limbo at release, opt for surface this time to avoid the impatient tax.

Well, I guess I’ll bite for one from HLJ. After the coupon code I have it’s slightly cheaper than Arcadia webstore, plus pay later and combined shipping.

[edit] Well, HLJ extracted my discount code, which I suspect was part of their expectation with that markup.

629105897_ScreenShot2021-03-04at9_25_55AM.thumb.png.3c1d13231546b0af5b9a21d101275189.png

Edited by Sanity is Optional

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Well, I guess I’ll bite for one from HLJ. After the coupon code I have it’s slightly cheaper than Arcadia webstore, plus pay later and combined shipping.

[edit] Well, HLJ extracted my discount code, which I suspect was part of their expectation with that markup.

629105897_ScreenShot2021-03-04at9_25_55AM.thumb.png.3c1d13231546b0af5b9a21d101275189.png

nice use of the  discount,.. .. were you tempted to get the SRX too?

38 minutes ago, lmtsuper said:

:wacko:51k JPY on HLJ?  We are probably looking at over 600 USD with shipping. Is it order though FromJapan a much better deal? I never use FJ before.

19 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Depends, HLJ might have other options for shipping?  Hard to say.

Also, I completely missed there being a Mirage 262 kit.. gotta grab a couple since I know those will actually be easy to order. :lol: 

Just check the shipping using another similar sized item that's in stock. HLJ does indeed have lower shipping, it's just mitigated by that high asking price.

For my part, if I'm already paying 9070yen over Arcadia's suggested price, then adding another 3500yen for HLJ's cheaper FedEX/DHL shipping puts me at or around the same price that FromJapan will want to ship the same Valkyrie by DHL in its oversized box. It ends up being a wash in that case. I do think HLJ is worth it if one can't pay up front and wants to play the waiting game with the exchange rate. It's also easy to cancel at HLJ, so that's another benefit.

7 minutes ago, F360 said:

nice use of the  discount,.. .. were you tempted to get the SRX too?

Nah, never watched the super robot shows as a kid, so no nostalgia value, and not a big fan of the aesthetic.

I've been waiting for an excuse to get another SV-51 though, and I already had the 2 kits and the MetalBuild on order. Just cancelled and re-ordered to get the discount on em. Also apparently the MG Barbatos just came back into stock.

Plus I'm getting the Hachette sub through HLJ, so there's always something I'll be paying to ship anyway.