Mortal Kombat 2021

Old_Nash

Well hot damn, this looks fantastic. I've been keeping up with this film because the talent involved is exactly what a proper MK movie needs, actual martial artists, and talented stunt workers.

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Well dang but I didn't even know there was a teaser trailer already too, lol.

That teaser isn't official, it's fan made, using footage from the YouTube MK series from a few years back, and tiny little snippets of real footage from the new movie.

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Ed Boon admitted that Lightning from BTiLC was largely whom they based MK Raiden on.

Almost everybody except most of the ninja's are based on people or characters from martial arts movies.

Johnny Cage is Jean Claud VanDamme.

Shang Sung is David Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

Raiden is Lighting from Big Trouble in Little China

Kitana is Lady Snowblood

Liu Kang is Bruce Lee

Sonya Blade is Cynthia Rothrock.

Kano is O'Hara from Enter The Dragon.

Jax is Mr T.

The ninjas were originally supposed to be generic enemies with elemental powers as MK was originally supposed to be a brawler like Final Fight or Streets Of Rage before it became a one on one fighter as such they're not really based on anyone except for Rain which is a Prince reference(purple rain...get it?).

9 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Almost everybody except most of the ninja's are based on people or characters from martial arts movies.

Johnny Cage is Jean Claud VanDamme.

Shang Sung is David Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

Raiden is Lighting from Big Trouble in Little China

Kitana is Lady Snowblood

Liu Kang is Bruce Lee

Sonya Blade is Cynthia Rothrock.

Kano is O'Hara from Enter The Dragon.

Jax is Mr T.

The ninjas were originally supposed to be generic enemies with elemental powers as MK was originally supposed to be a brawler like Final Fight or Streets Of Rage before it became a one on one fighter as such they're not really based on anyone except for Rain which is a Prince reference(purple rain...get it?).

And the entire tournament is very reminiscent of Enter the Dragon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Man that looks fantastic, I'm hyped for Friday, MK has always been my go-to fighting game. Pretty awesome levels of authenticity too with the proper nationalities for Bi-Han and Hanzo, Bi-Han is Chinese, Lin-Kuei clan, Hanzo is Japanese, Shirai-Ryu clan, they weren't both made Japanese like in the fan-made MK:Legacy series, and like some people have always presumed. Small details like that make me smile, they even mentioned they don't speak each other's languages.

I'm excited because this looks like a fantastic MK movie, but also, there's a lot of much needed representation in this film, the cast is amazing, Joe Taslim is and always has been a top tier action star IMO. He was amazing in The Raid and The Night Comes for Us, he needs to be in more things, he's looking great as Sub-Zero/Bi-Han, the hype is VERY real for me. 

I admit, I pretty much stopped playing any form of franchise since MK3 and the death of Arcade centers. And I lost a lot of respect for the genre when MK2 Annihilation was out. But that 7 minute teaser was nice, so I'll give it a shot this weekend.

I thought it was really disappointing.

I mean, it starts off great... then suddenly it shifts to Cole Young, the protagonist that'll have fans of the series scratching their heads going, "who?"  Then there's some fighting, some running, some fighting, some more running, some training with a group that excludes two of the first game's roster, then a big battle where we're introduced to the bad guy team... which consists almost entirely of characters who weren't in the first tournament (one of which was actually on Earthrealm's side in the game he was in).  Then there's some more fighting, only for the villain to pull a "you may have won this round, but I'll be back!"  And it seems like that doesn't even count as the tournament.

Put another way, it starts off with just the kind of scene that makes you think, "finally, Mortal Kombat done right!" before going completely off the rails and devolving into a handful of Mortal Kombat characters playing out a story that has nothing to do with Mortal Kombat.

If you're watching on HBO Max, do yourself a favor and watch Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge.  It's way better.

Who the hell edited this movie? Joss Whedon? There are parts missing from these scenes where I'm saying to myself "Wait..why did you cut to something else?" Even some of the fights seem to be missing an in-between shot.

Yeah, it was pretty cheesy.  Yes, I know the game had all those elements and such.

But maybe I got spoiled by The Raid, its sequel, and those fight sequences in Netflix Daredevil.  But other than that first fight scene, I didn’t get that visceral DAMN feeling.

16 hours ago, jenius said:

I read a review that made me Lol, basically "this is a story about the most amazing interdimensional martial arts tournament... That became a movie without a martial arts tournament."

^This.

It was entertaining and overall I enjoyed it, which is what I was going for, BUT lack of a really good soundtrack, lack of an actual tourney, and some pretty big plot holes keep this one from being as good as it should have been.

-b.

I felt it was trash. I was at hooked for those first 7 minutes and then whammy, lost interest with this Cole Young guy. Worthless character, even worse of a fighter, I mean without spoiling things he was just a worthless freaking character that even his one special character tie in as  factor for the whole film made almost ZERO sense. 

As I sit and try to take in what this movie was suppose to be versus what it ended up being, I feel sort of ripped off. It had a ton of potential to be something cool but I felt like I was almost watching Annihilation again.

The increasingly deep lore for Scorpion and Sub-Zero has always felt particularly unnecessary to me, and so their introduction to start the movie off didn't wow me much more than MK 1995's intro did. It wasn't BAD, though, and I'm always game to see more Hiroyuki Sanada in action.

The rest of it is a bit of a wash, with slightly dirty water. jenius nailed it on the head with that summary: it's a movie about a fighting tournament that has no fighting tournament. They try to make a token effort at it towards the end, but it still never gets there, and just feels all the more bizarre for it. That aside, bits of it were fine. Others were really bad, and the movie doesn't have that layer of cheese to deal with it.

I really liked pretty much all the parts with Kung Lao in it. Him performing that fatality was kind of meh - in fact most of the gore in the movie, like in the games, is kind of meh - but other than that, I feel like he should have been in more of the film. Oh well.

Spoiler

Great! Another video game movie ruined by a director that was adamant about wanting to do his own thing.

The parts where he paid homage to klassic Mortal Kombat? Good.

The fight scenes? Also good.

Introducing a new character named Cole that sucks at fighting until he gets literal plot armor then destroys Goro? That sucks. Everytime the dude is focused on he drags the movie down or serves no point.

I've seen it twice now, and I really enjoy it, it's not without disappointments, but I liked it overall. It was announced long, long ago Cole would be the new, main, original character, it's a bummer, but I was ready for that. It's the same thing the garbage Resident Evil movies did, all the actual main characters are in the film but relegated to the background while some new, totally random nobody comes in and does all the cool stuff, and is stronger, and has plot armor, and does everything the actual main characters are supposed to do. My issue with Cole was what I had already figured from the first seven minutes that got released early, 

Spoiler

He shouldn't have been tied to any legacy characters, let alone Scorpion, one of the most popular characters. As I said, when I saw Hanzo had a second, totally random, not cannon child I figured it meant that child would live, and Cole would be a descendant of Hanzo/Scorpion. THAT was lame, THAT I didn't like. It's unnecessary, make the character totally original and new, or don't make them at all, trying them into legacy characters is dumb, and gets messy. I was expecting Cole to be the original Kung Lao resurrected, or he'd stop his little MMA stuff after defeating Outworld, and decided to get into Hollywood and stunt work, and changed his name to Johnny Cage. But nope, Johnny is out there, and they'll eventually get to the original tournament from the first game, and the reboot in 9. 

I'm not bummed there wasn't a tournament, I don't know how many of you actually play or know MK lore, but the vast majority of the story and fights happen outside the actual tournament. In fact, the tournament usually gets glossed over within the first couple hours, only in the first three games was the tournament a real factor, and once again, the vast majority of the fights and story happened outside the tournament. MK9, MKX and MK11 blew past the tournament quick, Liu Kang wins, someone from Earthrealm beats Goro, then Liu beats Shao Khan, the only death was Scorpion killing the original Sub-Zero, Bi-Han, who then becomes Noob Saibot. I hope we get a sequel, there was a lot done right, and from what I've read, WB were the ones that got involved and demanded Cole be a part of the film, hopefully if this film is successful enough they can just drop him entirely and give us a remake of the original film, covering the events of the first tournament and everything around it. 

I was interested to see how they explained people's powers, I think they did decent enough, but agreed that, 

Spoiler

The whole "marks" thing was pretty dumb and unnecessary. It's never really explained in the games, some people are Shaolin Monks and can do that stuff, some have technology that acts as the explanation for their ranged attacks and what-not, and some are half something, half cryomancer, half this, half that. I was fine with "arcana", but the needing the marks was dumb.

Overall I liked it, it was quite MK, lots of little easter eggs and nods to various games, some decent choreography throughout, but agreed the first and final fights were definitely the best. I'm hoping it's success will lead to a Cole-less sequel. We need our real heroes to shine, and Johnny needs to be in that group.