Bandai DX VF-1D - July 2021

jvmacross

2 hours ago, troyness said:

F@#kyeah!!... That's awesome Tekering!! That figure hole is a gateway into all types of options

*Fighting staff in a martial arts stance.

*Knife 

*3D print it /color match for the other DX.

I dont know why i suddenly tot of a 3D printed briefcase, but yeah...😁

nice suggestion on the knife!

3 hours ago, seti88 said:

I dont know why i suddenly tot of a 3D printed briefcase, but yeah...😁

nice suggestion on the knife!

Hahaha.

3D print of a rolled up newspaper hitting a spider.

13 hours ago, Paco Grande said:

I received mine from Luna Park today in Ontario. Ordered it in December. 
I was shocked because I was not charged any taxes or border handling fees from DHL. That normally only happens when shipping DHL from Amazon Japan and in that case I pay the taxes to Amazon. 

But the bad news is that they shipped it in a DHL bag. Seriously. The only cardboard was the Bandai exclusive slip cover over the VF-1D box. No bubble wrap. So obviously every corner on the inner box was crushed. Contents seem to be fine. What is with some Japanese stores shipping in bags? My Roy was shipped in a FedEx bag. 

That's very strange, since my Roy came from them and it was definitely boxed.

Looks like Hobby-Genki has shipped my VF-1D. A little odd though. First, according to them  DHL and FedEx are the two options for Canada (still no EMS to Canada) but they just went with DHL without even checking with me. Not looking forward to the extra handling fees DHL is notorious for. Second I got two emails, one saying it was shipped and another saying it is in transit, yet when I track on the DHL site it says the label has been generated but shipment has not been handed over to DHL yet. Oh well, at least it seems like it is on it's way and Hobby-Genki did not ask for extra shipping payment which was a nice surprise. 

Huh, I checked in with Hobby-Genki's website and it says my order shipped - but I didn't get any emails notifying me of anything.  I too paid (5,200Y) for EMS back at pre-order hoping that would be available now - mainly to avoid the DHL guaranteed customs, duty & brokerage fees which would probably be another $60cdn on top.  I hope they don't "upgrade" me to DHL either.  The website status does say 07/23/2021 Japan Post EMS (but shipping cost to be paid later?) - there's even a tracking number, but its not a valid EMS tracking number.  Very strange.  

I must say I'm pretty excited for this release - more so than the last few, I love orange Valks and I missed out on that Yamato Fan Racer and now I'm glad I did!

keep them pics coming.  i have such love for this valk.  the first couple episodes of macross are like the biggest nostalgia bomb for me and the VF-1D is a personal favorite.  if everything is in order this will be my favorite DX Chogokin release ever I think.  Wish i got a double but was lucky enough to get 1 at least.

Got my first one delivered this morning from DHL, looks to be pretty close to perfect. ^_^ 

Compared the canopy length with a Roy 1S, and it is slightly longer.. I want to say maybe a quarter inch.  It's not much, but it's no less effective than the Yamato.  Proportionally, they look almost identical.  I do wish they'd added at least a minimal console in the back seat (and a seated Minmay, for that matter), but I'm sure it'd be possible to make those sorts of upgrades.

There is one thing I'm really curious about though, and that's the Fanracer's scale.  It's four inches long, which would make it roughly 16 feet in real life.  That doesn't look terrible.. but with the figure scales being as goofy as they are, I feel like it's very undersized.  The 1/60 Hikaru from the Yamato VF-1D fits perfectly in the cockpit.

Looking at photos of the old 1/60 Yamato Fanracer.. this one looks roughly the same size.  Tried an actual 1/48 pilot figure in the cockpit, and there is no way it would ever fit.  Anyone have one of the old models handy to compare?

Also, tiny silly nitpick about the Fanracer... the props don't counter-rotate. :p 

Anyone here compared the DX Fan Racer to its Yamato 1/60 counterpart side-byside? How big the difference is when it comes to scale.

@Chronocidal's post showed up after I click 'save'. So technically, he already answered my question. Thanks Chronocidal! ;) :good: 

Though it would be nice to see photos of them side-by-side. :rolleyes:

Edited by no3Ljm

If I can match the red/orange..I'll be painting over the GIANT H on the Fan Racer. Bandai really went nuts on the tampo again....Not sure where they got that particular reference. Anyone know? 

Edited by derex3592

22 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Got my first one delivered this morning from DHL, looks to be pretty close to perfect. ^_^ 

Compared the canopy length with a Roy 1S, and it is slightly longer.. I want to say maybe a quarter inch.  It's not much, but it's no less effective than the Yamato.  Proportionally, they look almost identical.  I do wish they'd added at least a minimal console in the back seat (and a seated Minmay, for that matter), but I'm sure it'd be possible to make those sorts of upgrades.

There is one thing I'm really curious about though, and that's the Fanracer's scale.  It's four inches long, which would make it roughly 16 feet in real life.  That doesn't look terrible.. but with the figure scales being as goofy as they are, I feel like it's very undersized.  The 1/60 Hikaru from the Yamato VF-1D fits perfectly in the cockpit.

Looking at photos of the old 1/60 Yamato Fanracer.. this one looks roughly the same size.  Tried an actual 1/48 pilot figure in the cockpit, and there is no way it would ever fit.  Anyone have one of the old models handy to compare?

Also, tiny silly nitpick about the Fanracer... the props don't counter-rotate. :p 

EDE11FC1-485C-4932-A4BF-7F6818298277.jpeg.4c038fb98eba7df5eb9279dd02d5e98f.jpeg

Pic from MacrossCentral.

14 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

If I can match the red/orange..I'll be painting over the GIANT H on the Fan Racer. Bandai really went nuts on the tampo again....Not sure where they got that particular reference. Anyone know? 

Actually the H is in the lineart, just not the animation.  The animation can't make up its mind on how to paint the nose or tail though. :p 

125926526_ss(2021-07-23at11_47.06).jpg.cb5973279ecfa4d972e56dc6232374dd.jpg

922852371_ss(2021-07-23at11_43.40).jpg.da419b60ca02a1a857fbfc49971f511f.jpg

6134859_ss(2021-07-23at11_44.37).jpg.493f2b59d2cc8a8649f2af987cbea21c.jpg

1390484980_ss(2021-07-23at11_44.52).jpg.4be7940ac786a6d387135151d62bebe0.jpg

But anywho, yeah, that basically confirms my suspicions.  They sized the Fanracer to the pilot figures.. which are itsy-bitsy.

On the positive side, it'll scale just fine with the old 1/60 Yamato Angel Birds. 😜 

Edited by Chronocidal

52 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Love all the 1D pictures! Everyone post more!

No idea when my pair will get here. :(

Is that a giant H on the fan racer stabilizer? Is Hikaru that much of an egomaniac or does it stand for hentai? :huh:

I thought it was Hunter.

No, wait, that's from another show right?

4 hours ago, Nerd-linger said:

Looks like Hobby-Genki has shipped my VF-1D. A little odd though. First, according to them  DHL and FedEx are the two options for Canada (still no EMS to Canada) but they just went with DHL without even checking with me. Not looking forward to the extra handling fees DHL is notorious for. Second I got two emails, one saying it was shipped and another saying it is in transit, yet when I track on the DHL site it says the label has been generated but shipment has not been handed over to DHL yet. Oh well, at least it seems like it is on it's way and Hobby-Genki did not ask for extra shipping payment which was a nice surprise. 

Pretty standard for a place to say "shipped" when they've got it in a box and a tracking number assigned, even if it hasn't been picked up yet. So you're ok.

FedEx dropped off a big box- my wife was like "There's a big FedEx package outside for you. I got all excited, thinking somehow it made it through fast or that something else I had ordered but forgotten about showed up.

It was a package for a neighbor a street over. I hate them so much right now.

14 minutes ago, vladykins said:

FedEx dropped off a big box- my wife was like "There's a big FedEx package outside for you. I got all excited, thinking somehow it made it through fast or that something else I had ordered but forgotten about showed up.

Wow so your neighbor got their 1D before you? 

28 minutes ago, vladykins said:

did your neighbor order 6 vf-1d?  

20 minutes ago, HG Blows said:

Anyone else order from Nin Nin Game?  No movement on my order there.  I've also had to nudge them about shipping the last few orders I've had with them, otherwise they'd be in preparing to ship status forever.

Im order one, no movement yet

55 minutes ago, HG Blows said:

Anyone else order from Nin Nin Game?  No movement on my order there.  I've also had to nudge them about shipping the last few orders I've had with them, otherwise they'd be in preparing to ship status forever.

I received one order from Okiniland, but my second order from Nin-nin has had no movement as well.

Got it!

The fan in the Fan Racer actually moves.   A couple complaints though. It should have came with 2 Hikaru figs to pilot both aircraft and a seated Minmay.  They should have included a DYRL style Minmay holding hand for those who don't care for the cartoon style hands.  The VF-1D looks awesome.

If Bandai wants to make more non-transforming jets like the Fan Racer I'd buy all of them.

12 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

If Bandai wants to make more non-transforming jets like the Fan Racer I'd buy all of them.

So would I, but I'd like it better if they were in the right scale. :lol: 

As it is, I stole the Hikaru from my Yamato 1D for the Fanracer.  He's bigger than the Bandai figure. :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

Mine just showed up. Not even going to open it. Moving in a month. Not looking forward to it. 

yeah , moving sucks. I just did that earlier this year. .. label those boxes correctly so you can find them later... or take a phone of all those stuff you will put into that box before taping it.   :D..  and Beware of mover scams.. 

1 minute ago, F360 said:

yeah , moving sucks. I just did that earlier this year. .. label those boxes correctly so you can find them later... or take a phone of all those stuff you will put into that box before taping it.   :D..  and Beware of mover scams.. 

we’re doing a pod for most of my collectibles. I think we’re just going to get the movers to get the furniture.