Bandai DX VF-1D - July 2021

jvmacross

17 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm going to be practical here, and assume that no one is going to design an aircraft that is too small for a 6-foot pilot to fly.  The figure is roughly 5'10".

@tekering I think we're both wrong.

I don't think @Chronocidal assumptions are necessarily correct. It's entirely possible that the fan racer is not a "production" plane. It could be custom built for Hikaru. In our reality there are all sorts of custom build "garage planes". Having a custom plane built for a air circus performer I would say is more likely than not. For example, the Red Bull air race planes are all custom built for their pilots. They don't roll off an assembly line.

Hikaru is 5'8" (I would have begged him at 5'6"). With Hikaru being 5'8" that put the Fan Racer at 1/54.65 scale. Pretty much exactly between 1/48 and 1/60.;)

I know I'm splitting hairs.:p

Edited by sqidd

22 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Valks are currently impossible. Why worry about it? Just enjoy the toys!

Kinda my point. The Fan Racer is over the top impossible. No room for lading gear, control surfaces are way too small, not enough room for a power plant to have it perform like it did in the show, not enough room for fuel, etc. Nit picking it get's you a complete re-design. Just run with the line art and call it a day.

And yes, even with technology way more advanced than what we have now a VF-1 is impossible. And even with super advanced technology, it can't transform. Not without magic.;)

5 hours ago, sqidd said:

Despite the figure not scaling correctly the Fan racer does. Actually it's too big to be 1/48. Check my calcs. I'm really tired.

Fan Racer spec is 5m.

-5m = 16.4ft

-16.4ft = 196.8in

-Fan Racer actual measurement 4.25"

-196.8in / 4.25in = 46.30

Fan Racer actual scale 1/46.30

I'd say that pretty close to 1/48.

It'll be awhile before I get my copies, so I'm just speculating. But it looks like the DX version is the same size as the Yamato. Between getting their scales right, I'll put my money on Yamato over Bandai. :p

Having scales out of whack is the norm for Bandai stuff, so it's not a a dealbreaker for me (I did buy 2x 1Ds after all). The DX 1/48 line is more of a sideshow for me, since I already have a massive Yamato collection for having everything in scale. I doubt we'll ever see 1/48 versions of the YF-19 or VF-25 as they would be huge and expensive... but damn I'd love it if they did materialize someday!

19 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Kinda my point. The Fan Racer is over the top impossible. No room for lading gear, control surfaces are way too small, not enough room for a power plant to have it perform like it did in the show, not enough room for fuel, etc. Nit picking it get's you a complete re-design. Just run with the line art and call it a day.

And yes, even with technology way more advanced than what we have now a VF-1 is impossible. And even with super advanced technology, it can't transform. Not without magic.;)

Yep. Landing gears are overrated too. Out of my hundreds of Valks, I have one displayed on the landing gears just for variety and the hell of it. Nice to have but I wouldn’t mind if none of them had landing gears and came with Yetistands instead.

11 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

It'll be awhile before I get my copies, so I'm just speculating. But it looks like the DX version is the same size as the Yamato. Between getting their scales right, I'll put my money on Yamato over Bandai. :p

Having scales out of whack is the norm for Bandai stuff, so it's not a a dealbreaker for me (I did buy 2x 1Ds after all). The DX 1/48 line is more of a sideshow for me, since I already have a massive Yamato collection for having everything in scale. I doubt we'll ever see 1/48 versions of the YF-19 or VF-25 as they would be huge and expensive... but damn I'd love it if they did materialize someday!

The million dollar question is what is the "official" size of the Fan Racer? What is considered "official"? If it's the line art from previously in this thread then it scales slightly bigger than 1/48. If there is a more "official" size for the Fan Racer I'd like to see it.

4 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Yep. Landing gears are overrated too. Out of my hundreds of Valks, I have one displayed on the landing gears just for variety and the hell of it. Nice to have but I wouldn’t mind if none of them had landing gears and came with Yetistands instead.

I have zero displayed on it's landing gear. Ya know, when I re-organize my Hikaru shelf when the 1D comes in I think I'm going to put one on it's landing gear for novelty sake. :D

8 minutes ago, sqidd said:

The million dollar question is what is the "official" size of the Fan Racer? What is considered "official"? If it's the line art from previously in this thread then it scales slightly bigger than 1/48. If there is a more "official" size for the Fan Racer I'd like to see it.

Don't really care enough to sift through books and old lineart and manuals or breaking out my calipers to check. It's little more than a curiosity for me, not a complaint, despite the moaning by some members.

Nothing shows how little you care about something like bragging about how much you don't care about something. :D (Not directed at you personally, btw)

2 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Don't really care enough to sift through books and old lineart and manuals or breaking out my calipers to check. It's little more than a curiosity for me, not a complaint, despite the moaning by some members.

Nothing shows how little you care about something like bragging about how much you don't care about something. :D (Not directed at you personally, btw)

Seriously......I don't care!!!!:lol:

I just measured the Yamato 1/60 Fan Racer, it comes to 4.75”. So Yamato’s assumes the actual size to be more than 7 meters. 

I’m guessing Yamato & Bandai flubbed a little on their pilots’ size for their VF-1. Who cares if the pilot is an mm shorter or wider than should be at that scale? When it came to eventually making the racer, as there isn’t clear official specs on its actual size, both Yamato & Bandai probably just went with sizing it around their respective pilots’ size.

And now we get a weird result where both their racers are almost the same size despite very different scales. 

I usually don’t really care much about scale accuracy, it’s just I’m slightly miffed this instance because I happen to have a painted-up Yamato, so Bandai’s actually won’t add much value because it’s going be very, very similar in size & features (but I won’t be selling the racer off @no3Ljm :p), much more so than both their 1/60 YF-19..

Edited by MKT

5 minutes ago, MKT said:

I usually don’t really care much about scale accuracy, it’s just I’m slightly miffed this instance because I happen to have a painted-up Yamato, so Bandai’s actually won’t add much value because it’s going be very, very similar in size & features (but I won’t be selling the racer off @no3Ljm :p), much more so than both their 1/60 YF-19..

Well, for those who's not happy with their DX Fan Racer scale, I'm just here. :rolleyes:

Heheh, all the scale debates!  I'm only disappointed that it wasn't actually 1/48 because I wanted it to be bigger. :p 

Far as the scaling goes though, yes, they have a history of flubbing scales.  According to Bandai, all three of these pilots are 1/72 scale. :lol: 

1284218835_ss(2021-07-25at04_41.26).jpg.3854a3229b3d1d74bf2f60004d470a1d.jpg

The only real reason it matters to me is that I need to know what scale to make the helmet-less Hikaru so it will fit. ^_^ 

10 minutes ago, vladykins said:

Mine is now rolling out of Tokyo on DHL, so I can't wait to have it in my hand so I can complain about the size and scale and lack of extra Hikaru figure and sitting Minmei. I've been looking for ward to complaining for days now.

Likewise. Mine just shipped via FedEx. I've been living vicariously through everyone else's complaints for a week. It's just not the same. :p

Just got this email back from Luna Park about their crap packing:

Yes, we have received some report from buyers of the new figure (DX VF-1D), as the item was super popular, we sold over 200 units, so we have given the whole container to DHL, we asked DHL to warp them, however, DHL didn't handle the parcel with care, we feel bad about it.

we have confirmed that DHL shipped 78 units of DX-1D so far, still over 100 left, we already told them do use bubble warp, don't just ship it in plastic bag. (if you wanted to order DX VF-1D)

and from now on, we will not give wrapping job to DHL anymore, we will start wrapping ourselves, please rest assured, your order will be wrapped with care.

thanks again.

regards

LUNA PARK

It's tough finding a solid proxy. I'm not having the best luck on proxy side of the house but thankfully received one from a shop and looks great. I've tried Neoyko 3 times now, and the first two have struck out. They held my funds for 6 months on the Super Parts order and canceled on me a month after release. Then canceled on GBP Parts immediately because they were too slow to procure. Now, I'm still waiting for "the item to arrive to the warehouse" for my second 1D. And that's fine. Maybe this week I'll see progress since holiday is over, but I'm not confident.

2 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

It's tough finding a solid proxy. I'm not having the best luck on proxy side of the house but thankfully received one from a shop and looks great. I've tried Neoyko 3 times now, and the first two have struck out. They held my funds for 6 months on the Super Parts order and canceled on me a month after release. Then canceled on GBP Parts immediately because they were too slow to procure. Now, I'm still waiting for "the item to arrive to the warehouse" for my second 1D. And that's fine. Maybe this week I'll see progress since holiday is over, but I'm not confident.

I got an ETA of August 4th from Neokyo to receive my 1Ds on the warehouse, they sent me an email on July 20th with that info.

An operator reviewed your order status #XXXXXX (DX Chogokin VF-1D Valkyrie & Fun Racer). A new estimated time of arrival at the warehouse has been issued.

After investigating the order status, our team issued the following new ETA : 4 Aug, 2021. We wish to emphasise that despite this delay, the order cancellation is not possible at this point. We sincerely apologise for this disturbance beyond our control.

2 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Most proxy services named on the forum are rendered useless for TWE after a few releases.