1/48 SOUTHERN CROSS BIOROID

I'm just giddy looking at all these progress pics! In fact, you've inspired me to bring some of those much-needed corrections to the Biover platform, so when I get around to offering the Hemorroid (Biopsycher) kit next year, the sled will have the updates. 

So now with all you guys building like crazy, I have to get serious about this modeling competition I'm setting up for September.

In the meantime, please accept my humble meme.

Green bioroid attack.png

1647702001_ImtheGreenBioroid.jpg.e2b5f4b50a297633226374e2d2601dec.jpg

814666802_Yousuck.jpg.3de924ebca38c7fdefebac0238c23940.jpg

76437395_Watchtheanime.jpg.6482baa0ecd3f5f1be651c9ab6f7ef09.jpg

23 hours ago, captain america said:

I'm just giddy looking at all these progress pics!

Now that @Boobytrap is making progress, too, I feel like we've got some real collaboration going on here.  It's great to see him implement some of my suggestions as well; I've never built a model kit concurrently with anyone else before, so it's quite a new experience for me. ^_^

Here are some relevant screengrabs for you, man:

105419723_mothershipsurface.jpg.02533863f60337bfd336f858619b5ff0.jpg

Oh, and these are for @Tober. :p

1561106926_blueeyes.jpg.49ca8bb0466e288037f28ef97b5c43ed.jpg

1318952197_greeneyes.jpg.1fdaa4a1cdf9bba9980b1eaf8afdc80e.jpg

3 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Oh yeah?  Imagine how much your heart will race when they have enemy mecha to fight against 😁;)

That's a valid point.

@tekering really needs to complete his Inbit Gosu now.  The Bioroids and Gosu would look so cool in vs.

115180596_GosuvsBioroid.gif.498d883be2e3fbe2ac202abb9130fbb4.gif

But I know that's not what you meant.😄

I wonder if that hovertank project will get enough orders now, it came pretty close last time. Mb if it wasn't bundled together with the Ajax more people would have bitten?🤔

Edited by Podtastic

9 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I wonder if that hovertank project will get enough orders now, it came pretty close last time. Mb if it wasn't bundled together with the Ajax more people would have bitten?🤔

It's possible. My concern is that offering a Biopsycher and Spartas in the same year would be too much of a financial burden within the same series for most people, so if I elect to do one subject next year, the other would have to wait until the following year. I also have a potentially interesting Mospeada subject in mind that I think would be well received.

6 minutes ago, captain america said:

It's possible. My concern is that offering a Biopsycher and Spartas in the same year would be too much of a financial burden within the same series for most people, so if I elect to do one subject next year, the other would have to wait until the following year. I also have a potentially interesting Mospeada subject in mind that I think would be well received.

Given a choice between Biopsycher and Hovertank, its Biopsycher all the way for me.

10 hours ago, Podtastic said:

@tekering really needs to complete his Inbit Gosu now.

Hey, I'm still detailing my hover sleds! 😬

52 minutes ago, captain america said:

I also have a potentially interesting Mospeada subject in mind that I think would be well received.

Oh, another one? 😮

14 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

Given a choice between Biopsycher and Hovertank, its Biopsycher all the way for me.

You're in a very vocal minority, my friend. 😅

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Hey, I'm still detailing my hover sleds! 😬

No pressure. But you must admit it would be so cool. Two iconic alien mecha head-to-head. 😃

Oh, another one? 😮

I wonder what it could be? Human most likely.

You're in a very vocal minority, my friend. 😅

I'm just too excited for the Biopsycher to want to wait another year when the project has already been scheduled.😁

You know we conservatives hate changes to plans right.🤨

Let's not forget some other under represented series' that could sorely use the Captain's attention. If I had the funds to sponsor a project my number one all-time ultimate want would be the gigamesh from Macross II.

gigamesh-feff.gif.5d6dcec9050c3e0349af7f96e151fc43.gif

But I know this isn't the Captain wish list thread so I'll just sigh in longing and move on.

I have completed the modifications I intend to do for the sled. Nothing big for this update. I added some brackets at the base of the yoke to match some of the images I saw. I also added wire mesh to the foot pads. I think it will give a nice break to the solid colors (I'll be painting the base black and the mesh metallic) and add some visual interest. I just need to clean a few things up and it is ready for paint.

Sled2.jpg.57fab722aab9816943ea00dbfec38d45.jpg

Thank you very much for the pictures @tekering. I think the one in the upper left will be the perfect format. I've started my plans for it. There will be a raised section to the left, the main path with the sled in the middle, and a sunken section with a bit of the city (or whatever that is) on the right. I'll probably add a spire or two in the back. It will, of course, have lights throughout. It is going to be a pretty decent size at 350mm x 350mm but I don't want the sled to feel cramped. Hopefully I can have it done in time for the Captain's contest, but I doubt it,

Plans.jpg.33b13f794bb78ac5f1b62dd0178b0fc9.jpg

I also want to echo your point. I have never done a project concurrently with someone else as well. While I feel like I am constantly playing catch up (I work on this at least 2 hours a day every day so I have no idea how you manage to get 3 times the amount of work done faster than me. An army of Ted bear clones?!) it has been a blast collaborating with you. 

11 minutes ago, Boobytrap said:

If I had the funds to sponsor a project my number one all-time ultimate want would be the gigamesh from Macross II.

That's a nice project if Cap would be interested.

All you need is enough like minded people and you can raise the needed funds.

25 minutes ago, Boobytrap said:

But I know this isn't the Captain wish list thread so I'll just sigh in longing and move on.

True, this is the Bioroid thread.

But why give up so quickly on this project idea? It may be popular.

8 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

Let's not forget there's s already a 1/100 model of the Gigamesh. I prefer the Captain doing things that haven't been released yet

That's fair but I was looking for 1/60 vs 1/100 (although I'd take any scale TBH). And while I haven't seen the model you are referring to (didn't even know it existed) I highly doubt it comes anywhere close to the level Captain can produce. Don't forget Captain's beautiful Legioss, so don't be so quick to squash my dreams 😁.

7 minutes ago, Boobytrap said:

That's fair but I was looking for 1/60 vs 1/100 (although I'd take any scale TBH). And while I haven't seen the model you are referring to (didn't even know it existed) I highly doubt it comes anywhere close to the level Captain can produce. Don't forget Captain's beautiful Legioss, so don't be so quick to squash my dreams 😁.

Here it is, that's mine. I'm sure the Captain would do something far better, though.

IMG_20200430_214304.jpg.a287ad34a8d4ec07d927ca59902f95f3.jpg

16 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

Here it is, that's mine. I'm sure the Captain would do something far better, though.

Fantastic paint job. But, yeah, Captain would make that sculpt look like something you would get out of a dime store vending machine.

I've derailed this thread enough though. If it gets made that will be awesome. If not, se la vie.

Now let's get back to some more bioroids! Hopefully some other modelers out there will have some pics to share soon. I'd like to see how others are putting their spin on this work of art.

22 hours ago, Podtastic said:

That's a valid point.

@tekering really needs to complete his Inbit Gosu now.  The Bioroids and Gosu would look so cool in vs.

115180596_GosuvsBioroid.gif.498d883be2e3fbe2ac202abb9130fbb4.gif

But I know that's not what you meant.😄

Au contraire, mon ami!  One of the best times my brother and our friends had as kids was playing the Palladium RPG and mixing and matching mecha from all three generations.  Bioroids vs Invid is so my thing*!

*But yes, I was talking about Hovertanks...

On 8/13/2021 at 12:14 PM, CoryHolmes said:

*points at door*  Out!

Hey, show a little respect.  If it weren't for @Podtastic, we wouldn't have our glorious 'Lloyds... and the demand for a scale Hovertank is now that much bigger, thanks to his commissions. :hi:

On 8/13/2021 at 12:14 PM, CoryHolmes said:

Bioroids vs Invid is so my thing!

Robotech.jpg.5dfcc9658fbbe7f999053c43663695f0.jpg

On 8/13/2021 at 2:33 AM, Boobytrap said:

I added some brackets at the base of the yoke to match some of the images I saw.

I also addressed that detail, but my approach was quite different; I assumed we were looking at something like hydraulic pistons attached to the control rod, rather than objects in front of it.  I carved channels into the shaft of the rod and did a little kitbashing there:

1350895383_pistondetail.jpg.1055ee1d71b7afe5696bb8a962d885d8.jpg

Again, enjoying the collaboration! B))

Thanks ,  @tekering its nice to be appreciated.

I'm not taking young Mr. Holmes too serously, he's made it clear that he's a big hovertank fan. He may not realise that the Biopsycher project is already scheduled and communicated. For tactical reasons its kickoff is next year rather than now.

On another note, any chance you could repost that last pic without the speech bubbles? The humour is great, but them speech bubbles are blocking the visuals.

And feel free to post more Gurab vs Bioroid pics. Their bloody awesome.

If you want to that is - no pressure.

Edited by Podtastic

4 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Thanks ,  @tekering its nice to be appreciated.

You've earned it, man. :good:

You even talked Cap' into making more of 'em! :o

4 hours ago, Podtastic said:

any chance you could repost that last pic without the speech bubbles?

Sorry, I already deleted the camera data. :unknw:

I do have a couple of alternate angles, however:

alternate.jpg.2e3e6c7f4b5c180ddc546ce196d9baaf.jpg

1354796621_enoughangles.jpg.26915d0f31d7865e495925a96f7c45f1.jpg

On 8/13/2021 at 2:33 AM, Boobytrap said:

I feel like I am constantly playing catch up (I work on this at least 2 hours a day every day so I have no idea how you manage to get 3 times the amount of work done faster than me.

I'm driven by the thrill of competition. :p

Weathering step one is done. Just need it to dry so I can seal it and move on to step two.

Weathering1.jpg.4e51df48f1ae2994071f92ed1e9a1b0c.jpg

Weathering2.jpg.55f2896f7ddcd5f4e122d485f117bc60.jpg

Still have some work to do but the base colors for the sled are coming along.

Sled3.jpg.9f8f9601fcdb5211e01ccf8e2b25df30.jpg

I really hate my phone camera. These all came out way too dark. Once the figure is closer to completion I'll take some better pictures with my DSLR.

Edited by Boobytrap
word

1 hour ago, Boobytrap said:

Weathering step one is done. Just need it to dry so I can seal it and move on to step two.

Weathering1.jpg.4e51df48f1ae2994071f92ed1e9a1b0c.jpg

Weathering2.jpg.55f2896f7ddcd5f4e122d485f117bc60.jpg

Still have some work to do but the base colors for the sled are coming along.

Sled3.jpg.9f8f9601fcdb5211e01ccf8e2b25df30.jpg

I really hate my phone camera. These all came out way too dark. Once the figure is closer to completion I'll take some better pictures with my DSLR.

Awesome!

Can't wait to see pics of the Bioroid on the Skysled once its completed.😀

4 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

Just need it to dry so I can seal it and move on to step two.

Waiting for paint to dry has been a real struggle for me, especially with this unseasonably wet weather and omnipresent humidity. 😩

4 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

I really hate my phone camera. These all came out way too dark.

That has more to do with lighting than the type of camera you're using, actually.

Now, concerning color, some of you may remember the work I did color-correcting Southern Cross DVD masters to get accurate color reference for this project:

Having done this work, and established a consistent set of colors for the 'Lloyds, here's a pop quiz. ^_^

801229554_colorquiz.jpg.d3123136155e9c27306e7b45ab266205.jpg

Which color accurately reflects how the biovers were painted in the anime? 🤓

The answer, of course, is...

...all of the above. :huh:

2117974111_colorvariants.jpg.79481af61ea042a508bae19e8ffc1090.jpg

Turns out they vary greatly from one episode to the next.  Thanks, Tatsunoko. <_<

But hey, at least we have official merchandise for color reference:

vintage-80s-robotech-bioroid_1_88c2d59ec08e29f6a932ab0ca76a821d.jpg.61dc8c52f6629539ec6b2945eeed9fcf.jpg

Now all I need to do is source Zentraedi markings for decals... :p