1/48 SOUTHERN CROSS BIOROID

Cool! Thanks for the pic!

10 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I also run into the risk of never actually doing the Bioroid kit because "I still need more practice".

If I were in your shoes, I would try out some cheap Bandai Destroid kits (Hobbylink Japan recently got restocked!) from the eighties, and then after a few tries I would dive into the Bioroid!

10 hours ago, StarshipTrooper said:

Cool! Thanks for the pic!

If I were in your shoes, I would try out some cheap Bandai Destroid kits (Hobbylink Japan recently got restocked!) from the eighties, and then after a few tries I would dive into the Bioroid!

I can't find any on HLJ's website.  The E2406 site had some interesting resin kits, but they're only taking preorders now and I don't like doing that.

@CoryHolmes

Bummer about those Destroid kits! But there is another option; eBay! there is a guy selling off a lot of old resin kits (Megazone, Appleseed, Bubble Gum Crisis, etc) for a really good price! use this to get to his marketplace.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FOrange-Hargun-1-32-scale-resin-kit-Wave-Megazone-23-%2F193802879962%3F_ul%3DCL&psig=AOvVaw0ZF8HEKQ_T8IF_ZIduzOwm&ust=1621603263459000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAMQjB1qFwoTCMjeu4et2PACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

I hope you keep that tooling in great shape, enough for a third run down the line.  Because should I ever get my wishes fulfilled, I've decided how I'm gonna pose the Hovertank with a Red Bioroid.

southern_cross.jpg

A growing boy can dream, can't he?

Edited by CoryHolmes

52 minutes ago, tekering said:

(including shipping from Australia) over a thousand dollars.

It's like that all the time for us poor, hapless Southern Hemispherians.

But hey, this pic posted on farcebook pretty much describes us collectors - wherever we are - right?

IMG-20210529-WA0000.thumb.jpg.6b33148f5a5b765af39aa8b30a0d199b.jpg

Edited by Podtastic

17 hours ago, Podtastic said:

It's like that all the time for us poor, hapless Southern Hemispherians.

But hey, this pic posted on farcebook pretty much describes us collectors - wherever we are - right?

IMG-20210529-WA0000.thumb.jpg.6b33148f5a5b765af39aa8b30a0d199b.jpg

Change "Games Workshop" to me in Las Vegas and I SO feel this comic!

48 minutes ago, tekering said:

I see you spent some time setting up that shot. :lol:

Geez, those hover sleds look huge!  Are they solid resin? :huh:

i wonder what I could use as a flight stand...

I have to be meticulous in the management of my kits, especially something like this that has so many parts of varying size. The sled hulls are set vertically prior to packing to prevent any bowing/sagging while they fully harden, and yes, they're solid resin. The sled was designed with protruding blobs on the bottom, but I made them such that the biover is stable on a flat surface, so the finished model won't be wobbly.

Because of the lower protrusions, the sled does sort of look like it's hovering even when it's not. That said, if you do want to create a flight stand, the safest, simplest and least invasive thing would be to create a clear acrylic 4-sided box that you can simply plop the biover onto. 

22 hours ago, Boobytrap said:

I can't even express how excited I am for this! It's always amazing to me how quickly you get things out the door. I'm used to waiting a year or two for many of the things I purchase.

Sometimes, when you have to subcontract some elements of the build, it takes longer just because of the shipping factor. With this one, I saw that the momentum of the orders was good enough that I started the re-tooling early, hence the rapid shipping.

"I could take out a Gundam with this thing!"

take out a Gundam.jpg

On 6/10/2021 at 2:28 AM, Boobytrap said:

I'm used to waiting a year or two for many of the things I purchase.

I collect third-party Masterpiece Transformers.  I'm used to waiting three or four years. :vava:

Edited by tekering

In Robotech universe the Bioroid would go up to about the hips on the Alpha. Cap recalculates scale based on the show rather than measurements that often don't agree with what's depicted. His Alpha would be much taller than the Sentinel.

47 minutes ago, jenius said:

In Robotech universe the Bioroid would go up to about the hips on the Alpha. Cap recalculates scale based on the show rather than measurements that often don't agree with what's depicted. His Alpha would be much taller than the Sentinel.

Hmm.  This leaves me with only one option: pester the Cap'n to make more mecha in his consistent scale, so they're all accurate to each other ^_^

12 hours ago, tekering said:

For those of you curious about how Lloyd scales with his fellow 1:48th mecha:

one-fourty-eighth brethren.jpg

I'm REALLY pleased with the size, Cap'n. :hi:

You're most welcome! I see that your build is already off to a great start. FWIW, my model sizing is always intended to be coherent. the line-art actually has a side-view of the pilot crouched in his cockpit bubble, so it was only a matter of sizing the mecha to where that cockpit would fit in the chest area, and what you see is the result of that. Surprisingly, it also works-out for the Rowboat-Tech fans in that each generation of mecha is progressively smaller than the previous. 

13 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Did you build it already?

Just the initial rough assembly, to determine the size and type of joints I'll require for articulating the 'Lloyds.

badass pose.jpg

13 hours ago, jenius said:

Cap recalculates scale based on the show rather than measurements that often don't agree with what's depicted. His Alpha would be much taller than the Sentinel.

Indeed, as we have debated at length in the Mospeada thread, the official stats are whack.  The Legioss may have been intended as a much smaller aircraft than the fairly conventional-sized jets they're depicted as in the animation, but as a fan of the show itself (rather than just the mecha designs), I think what's consistently depicted onscreen trumps whatever measurements the studio decides to publish.  As much as the Sentinel represents the definitive Legioss toy, most of us would agree that it's stupidly small... certainly closer to 1:60 scale than 1:48.

12 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

This leaves me with only one option: pester the Cap'n to make more mecha in his consistent scale, so they're all accurate to each other ^_^

Moscato's "Buster" is the definitive Legioss model, but lack of availability means it's not really a viable option...

1479356635_idealscale.thumb.jpg.857383b7c30b154382eb8b29eb578127.jpgideal scale.jpg

Thankfully, Evolution Toy's Legioss is almost the same size, and scales more coherently with other 1:48 models (including Sentinel's pilot figures). :good:

"Rowboat-Tech to the rescue!" :p

Edited by tekering

19 minutes ago, tekering said:

1479356635_idealscale.thumb.jpg.857383b7c30b154382eb8b29eb578127.jpgThankfully, Evolution Toy's Legioss is almost the same size, and scales more coherently with other 1:48 models (including Sentinel's pilot figures). :good:

"Rowboat-Tech to the rescue!" :p

Granted Evolution's "1/35" scale pilots are smaller than Sentinel's 1/48s.