1/48 SOUTHERN CROSS BIOROID

Hey everyone!

I’m officially accepting payments for the 1/48 BIO LLOYD re-issue starting today Here’s how things will work, so please read carefully.

For customers in Canada/US, I will leave the payment window open until June 1st, so you have a little over a month to get your funds ready and send payment in. If by the end of the day on June 1st I don’t get the 12 minimum orders necessary to cover the re-molding costs, I will simply re-issue everyone that paid a refund. Easy-peasy!

Note that you have two different kit options: one that is  the BIO LLOYD mecha only, and the other option is the mecha + the hover sled. Kindly note that this re-issue has the parts for the red SATAN CLAWS version only.

The prices listed in the accompanying image are for people who choose to pay with Paypal. However, if you pay with Bitcoin, you will have a 15% discount on the kit price, so one BIO LLOYD w/HOVER SLED will only come out to $438 CAD, that’s a $92 savings! Those who opt for Bitcoin payment just send me a private message: I will use the currency conversion rate as it is on the day you send payment, and will provide payment instructions accordingly.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.53.04 AM.png

42 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

I'll have to buy a second Bioroid just to recreate that scene from the anime where Zor flees the exploding ship with his Hovertank on the sled :D

1974220548_blownup.thumb.jpg.2e2cd5ede9adbe655f3fedcf9ed70a04.jpg

friends.jpg

14 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

That triumphant, bombastic brass soundtrack is just the perfect tone for it.

I can still hear it! ^_^

Nobody's gonna argue the Southern Cross BGM was superior to the Robotech score. :lol:

On 5/3/2021 at 10:02 PM, tekering said:

friends.jpg

I can still hear it! ^_^

Nobody's gonna argue the Southern Cross BGM was superior to the Robotech score. :lol:

Hey, you!  Yah, YOU!  C'mere!! :aggressive:

It's been a week of this scene playing through my head, before finally going through my new Southern Cross art book to find the episode name, and then find that actual episode on YouTube.

Here, now you can enjoy it along with me! :yahoo:

Just a polite bump and reminder that the order window for the 1/48 BIO LLOYD resin kit (SATAN CLAWS version) is and will remain open until June 1st. If you know of anyone that would be interested in this kit, please direct them to this post, or my account on Failbook. 7 slots are currently filled.

triumverate.jpg

On 5/13/2021 at 7:56 AM, StarshipTrooper said:

Cool! Can you post a picture of the box and all the pieces? i would like to use a photo to update a model kit database, and it would be most helpful!

If it's okay with the Cap'n, I'll do my best!

Speaking of Cap'n, since I don't have a Facebook account and can't see your demonstration build, do I need to soak these parts in soapy water and scrub the mould release off them, before gluing and assembling them?

39 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

do I need to soak these parts in soapy water and scrub the mould release off them, before gluing and assembling them?

Yes, that's standard operating procedure with any garage kit.  Since sanding resin produces a great deal of fine powder anyway, I usually do the cutting, drilling, and Dremeling over a sink, and only give the parts a hot bath when I'm ready to start painting them.

55 minutes ago, tekering said:

Yes, that's standard operating procedure with any garage kit.  Since sanding resin produces a great deal of fine powder anyway, I usually do the cutting, drilling, and Dremeling over a sink, and only give the parts a hot bath when I'm ready to start painting them.

Sand, then wash.  Makes sense.  Any particular grit I should be using or avoiding?

1 minute ago, captain america said:

You don't need my permission to post pics of YOUR kit. Or post reviews, likes, dislikes, rants, etc.

But YOUR IP and your sculpting work.  Besides, if I ever want a hope of you doing certain other kits, better be safe than sorry :D

What sort of sanding grits should I use for the resin you used?

Use the same grits as you would doing plastic. I don’t do resin stuff often, but it’s similar enough to standard model plastic. There may be thicker areas at the gates that may require a bit more work, but that shouldn’t change the basic sanding 

6 hours ago, Big s said:

Use the same grits as you would doing plastic. I don’t do resin stuff often, but it’s similar enough to standard model plastic. There may be thicker areas at the gates that may require a bit more work, but that shouldn’t change the basic sanding 

I don't have any modelling supplies at all.  This will be my first kit build in a frighteningly long time.  100-ish grit?

24 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

I don't have any modelling supplies at all.

With resin kits, you'll be requiring significantly more cleanup work than with injection-molded parts on sprues.  You're going to need many different grits of sandpaper, as well as hobby knives, saws, and files.  I'd also advise using a rotary power tool like a Dremel, and a pin vice with a variety of fine drill bits for accurately-sized holes.  Brass rods of different thicknesses are ideal for providing structure and reinforcing connections between large parts.

There are a vast array of YouTube videos illustrating basic modeling techniques for a wide variety of projects.  I recommend you do some online research before tackling a Moscato Hobby kit. ^_^

37 minutes ago, tekering said:

There are a vast array of YouTube videos illustrating basic modeling techniques for a wide variety of projects.  I recommend you do some online research before tackling a Moscato Hobby kit. ^_^

Yeah, I should probably do that.

Ooooor just wing it, and explain any deficiencies away as battle damage and/or frankenmecha from the Invid Invasion ^_^

You'll also want to get some polyester putty. It works a bit like styrene putty but uses a catalyst, so it doesn't shrink, hardens faster, and you can repair larger defects more easily. It stinks like a mofo, but its worth it.

Also, I'll echo Ted's sentiments and suggest you start with a simpler/cheaper kit and do some research on Youtube before diving head-long into a 300 dollar uber-rare kit.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:37 AM, CoryHolmes said:

Ooooor just wing it, and explain any deficiencies away as battle damage and/or frankenmecha from the Invid Invasion

There is no hurry, you spent a lot of money and  its worth making sure you get a good result.

And there is of course the option which some people use, which is to commission a professional to do the build for you. 

I normally wouldn’t recommend a bootleg, but maybe since it would be more for practice check out something like e2046. Maybe pick out a kit for cheap to get some experience with resin before jumping in to the real deal. Learn what works and what doesn’t.

I know, I know, I know.  I know I should practice a lot, but I also run into the risk of never actually doing the Bioroid kit because "I still need more practice".

And here's the box I received.  Loved the signature, btw, Cap'n!

5AYc2ji.jpg

Edited by CoryHolmes