Jump to content

1/48 SOUTHERN CROSS BIOROID


Recommended Posts

1841632442_newproject.thumb.jpg.0b101b773e180f7a38a2c3362772ee4e.jpg

 

Hey everyone!

 

I just wanted to share this project with you, because there seems to have been at least some interest in Southern Cross mecha.

 

A fellow MWer has commissionned me to make the master patterns for a 1/48 SPACE BIO LLOYD (Bioroid) complete with its FLYING CONVEYANCE (hover-sled) and I wanted to know how many people would be interested in a kit? Consider this to be that rare opportunity to get a properly sculpted model of this subject from this otherwise obscure series.

 

The kit will have the following features:

-built in accordance to original, primary visual source material

-integrated (free-pose) ball-joint system

-parts to build one of the three primary variants

-includes FLYING CONVEYANCE

 

Kit price until March 1st: $300 CAD + shipping

Kit price after March 1st: $330 CAD + shipping

 

Shipping charges will be determined at a later time. Take some time to think it through, see if finances permit. If you think you can manage it, then by all means, let your typing fingers do their thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tekering said:

If parts are included for three Bioroid variants, I'll happily order three kits immediately. :yahoo:

Looking forward to seeing this develop and the builds it results in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that BIO LLOYD drafting is progressing well. Or rather, as well as it possibly can, given the nature of the source material. However abstract and disjointed the line-art from previous projects was, this one is its own, special kind of clusterscrew! It's not bad enough that the line-art just looks like a bunch of jellybeans cobbled together, and the multiple views contradict each other, I'm used to that. But the joints on this thing were really just phoned-in, even by Anime standards! As such, I'm performing high-level creative gymnastics to give this thing a reasonable degree of articulation while still keeping true to the source material. As I progress into the sculpting, you will start to understand why this will be a bargain, even at 300 bucks +.

A glimpse into my technical drawing madness:

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 3.18.18 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tober said:

Do you have rough shipping costs? :unsure:

I remember it being really vicious even for small packages from Canada, and that was before COVID-19,

Contact Brett over at R2KF, he'll take care of you and as a fellow Aussie, your shipping will be substantially cheaper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, captain america said:

It's not bad enough that the line-art just looks like a bunch of jellybeans cobbled together, and the multiple views contradict each other, I'm used to that.

It's really hard to pin down scale, too, given how inconsistent their onscreen depiction was.  I mean, look at how big it appears from this angle...

657577111_bigBioroid.thumb.jpg.27d58a01fff7f558c6928bb812f0efdd.jpg

...and then how much smaller it appears in this shot, from the same scene.

1440716979_littleBioroid.thumb.jpg.f07fa30d45521851355847be96687e01.jpg

15 hours ago, captain america said:

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 3.18.18 PM.png

:wub:

Using that human figure for reference, it looks like you've scaled the Bioroid up to about 7.5 meters in height... which would result in a model nearly 16cm tall, about the size of Sentinel's Legioss (or a Voyager-class Transformer).  Is my assumption correct? ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tekering said:

It's really hard to pin down scale, too, given how inconsistent their onscreen depiction was.  I mean, look at how big it appears from this angle...

657577111_bigBioroid.thumb.jpg.27d58a01fff7f558c6928bb812f0efdd.jpg

...and then how much smaller it appears in this shot, from the same scene.

1440716979_littleBioroid.thumb.jpg.f07fa30d45521851355847be96687e01.jpg

:wub:

Using that human figure for reference, it looks like you've scaled the Bioroid up to about 7.5 meters in height... which would result in a model nearly 16cm tall, about the size of Sentinel's Legioss (or a Voyager-class Transformer).  Is my assumption correct? ^_^

BIO LLOYD will be a little over 17cm tall in 1/48. I always begin with the human pilot and cockpit as a starting point to determine the mecha size. They had created the art for the cockpit ball cutaway, so all I had to do was size it such to fit into the mecha's neck/upper chest area. Of course, the mecha's size contradicts the numerical dimensions, but that's nothing new. The hover-sled will be bigger than the mecha itself: 24 by 18cm. That'll require a massive custom mold box. -_-

I only use the animation as reference if nothing else is available because it's so inconsistent. Besides, the line-art is the primary reference that the animators use, so I make that a priority.

Edited by captain america
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2021 at 12:40 AM, captain america said:

BIO LLOYD will be a little over 17cm tall in 1/48.

Oh, the same size as the old Matchbox Bioroid toy, then.  Interesting coincidence. ^_^

On 1/20/2021 at 12:40 AM, captain america said:

The hover-sled will be bigger than the mecha itself: 24 by 18cm. That'll require a massive custom mold box. -_-

Does it need to be a single piece?  With all the natural seam lines in the design, it would be easy to break the base down into separate parts...

c9VoAcJ5oQNqBNn4ddfl_Ur9qwLPRpMw46IR4QX0

Edited by tekering
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, tekering said:

Oh, the same size as the old Matchbox Bioroid toy, then.  Interesting coincidence. ^_^

Does it need to be a single piece?  With all the natural seam lines in the design, it would be easy to break the base down into separate parts...

0Gp6Jjw6ycECWLFfF9tXk0oZFAQqtmSs4vsqqypM

Even split into two parts, each half is considerable in size, so the mold box will have to be custom-made regardless. I'm also seriously considering making some parts from flexible resin to offer posability without violating the source material.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been buying from Moscato for years, even offered to buy 2 Starfish kits to ensure the minimum number of orders were met. Planned on buying 3 of these Bioroids. When I asked which versions would be available Moscato refused to answer, directing me here instead. Not sure what's difficult about saying "All three." $900 is a lot of money - more than enough to buy a little common courtesy. Not sure if I'll go for these or give them a pass. There are Big West kits available for about the same price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2021 at 9:02 AM, Jason Rhian said:

When I asked which versions would be available Moscato refused to answer, directing me here instead. Not sure what's difficult about saying "All three." $900 is a lot of money - more than enough to buy a little common courtesy.

I'm sure he sent you here so that us pedantic geeks could provide some clarity, since it's not that simple... There are six distinct Bioroid models, after all, plus Seifriet's custom unit.

biocompare.jpg

Above is the "Early Period" Type II Bioroid (the "T'siendral," in Robotech nomenclature), and you'll notice the head and chest are significantly different on Seifriet's model (known as the "Gister'dohl").

ErafYc6hSDyx1fWFCN1c5lWbOlXonE-n8l6vDGVY

 

This is the "Early Period" Type I Bioroid (aka the "Nous'dohl"), arguably the most common unit seen in the series.

Since the arms, legs and lower torso are almost identical among these three variants, we can assume Moscato's kit will include parts to build any of these three:

EMmDzVZUEAAKUW0.jpg:large

The "Middle Period" Bioroid types, however, were significantly different:

image.pngimage.png

These types were frequently featured onscreen, but only in the last few episodes of the series.

The "Late Period" Bioroids, on the other hand, exist primarily only as concept art...

image.pngimage.png

...although it's worth noting that Matchbox's only Bioroid toy was based on the Type I "Late Period" model (the so-called "Neue Nous’dohl").

dx-bioroid-side.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=a18eaf

On 1/22/2021 at 9:02 AM, Jason Rhian said:

Not sure if I'll go for these or give them a pass. There are Big West kits available for about the same price.

The Arii "SOL Bioroid" kit you speak of is awful, even by mid-'80s standards.  It's awkwardly-sculpted, poorly-articulated and smaller than a Hi-Metal R figure...

awful.thumb.jpg.ff18758af38c9de917b442e347a906cd.jpg 

Any perceived value it has is based solely on its rarity, not its quality. <_<

Moscato kits, on the other hand, are far more rare, and I'm sure you're already aware of their quality.  $300 CAD ($237 USD) is a bargain!

Edited by tekering
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tekering said:

 

The Arii "SOL Bioroid" kit you speak of is awful, even by mid-'80s standards.  It's awkwardly-sculpted, poorly-articulated and smaller than a Hi-Metal R figure...

awful.thumb.jpg.ff18758af38c9de917b442e347a906cd.jpg 

Any perceived value it has is based solely on its rarity, not its quality. <_<

Moscato kits, on the other hand, are far more rare, and I'm sure you're already aware of their quality.  $300 CAD ($237 USD) is a bargain!

In fairness to L&S (not Arii) they could only do as well as technology, budget, and source material allowed them to. Remember that they weren't fans: they answered to accountants and a corporate structure that saw this as just one more franchise to milk for profit and move on.  

Speaking of that particular kit, have you seen what the originals are going for these days?

158361406_ScreenShot2021-01-19at4_18_14PM.thumb.png.b5f39de8569c6a234028355f4621bf87.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jason Rhian said:

Been buying from Moscato for years, even offered to buy 2 Starfish kits to ensure the minimum number of orders were met. Planned on buying 3 of these Bioroids. When I asked which versions would be available Moscato refused to answer, directing me here instead. Not sure what's difficult about saying "All three." $900 is a lot of money - more than enough to buy a little common courtesy. Not sure if I'll go for these or give them a pass. There are Big West kits available for about the same price.

The only existing kit I know about is the Red. Finding a Blue or a Green kit elsewhere will be a trick, I've only ever seen a promo pic of a Blue from a very long time ago. I've never even found a build of one on the net.

I have the SOL Red Bioroid Kit and, as others have said, its not great. It doesn't have an integrated ball joint system and does not come with the flying conveyance (Bioroid Skysled).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, captain america said:

Speaking of that particular kit, have you seen what the originals are going for these days?

:o

I'll trade you mine for one of yours! :lol:

trade.thumb.jpg.5d1a7dad5121322a747055f28153a24e.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Podtastic said:

The only existing kit I know about is the Red. Finding a Blue or a Green kit elsewhere will be a trick, I've only ever seen a promo pic of a Blue from a very long time ago. I've never even found a build of one on the net.

I have the SOL Red Bioroid Kit and, as others have said, its not great. It doesn't have an integrated ball joint system and does not come with the flying conveyance (Bioroid Skysled).

That's all true. These kits have a LOT going for them. I guess I'm just disappointed at the change in how he responded. I've plunked down some serious cash in the past and would've been fine with buying 3 of these. It didn't take much to tell me to come here - but it would've taken less to show a long-time customer a little appreciation. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

What about Hovertanks and AJACs copters??? :acute:

One miracle at a time, please. ^_^

Let him deliver the moon before we ask for the sun and the stars. :rolleyes:

Edited by tekering
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...