Recommendations for Macross Manga for someone learning Japanese

vsim

Hey everyone! Trying this forum for this question. I've started trying to learn to read Japanese again (via Duolingo and JapanesePod 101) and was looking for recommendations for any Macross manga which I might have some hope of eventually reading! Obviously I have a very limited vocabulary at the moment but I've been keeping at it daily for almost 3 months now so it's building slowly.

I have Macross 7 Trash and I thought I might be able to try it but I'm not sure. I also have several older books/manga around as well.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Including other manga/books if there is an easier path for me to start on!

Thanks!

どもありがとうございます

I'd go with Macross the First.  It's close enough to the SDFM story that you can understand what's going on without even being able to read it.

For a language learner, it also has the benefit of furigana—hiragana above the kanji—so it'll be a much easier read.

The manga adaptations of Macross Plus and Macross F are also recommended for the above reasons.  Unlike Macross the First, they were completed.  However, Macross the First (despite being unfinished), is still the better choice—especially the first few volumes.

Macross 7 Trash is pretty good, but as it takes place after the events of Macross 7 and is a unique story, it may be a bridge too far at your current ability level.

Edited by sketchley

I didn't even know they had manga adaptations of Plus. Thanks for the tips guys.

And yes, furigana definitely helps at this point!

I'll see if I can find Macross the First anywhere. Why was it never finished?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, vsim said:

I didn't even know they had manga adaptations of Plus. Thanks for the tips guys.

Thank you!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-FIRST-1-KADOKAWA-COMICS-ACE-6-21-2009-ISBN-/184541950670?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c4#viTabs_0

Mikimoto also has a character illustration book that has been constantly delayed for the last 2 and a half years...I am guessing he is a busy man...

Good Luck!

12 hours ago, vsim said:

Thank you!

It's a long story to put in manga form, and Mikimoto-san has historically shown that he looses interest in such projects, and switches to other ones.  In the past, he has eventually (that's on a scale of years) come back to finish the projects.

However, Macross the First doesn't have a stable publisher.  It started in one manga book (Macross Ace), then switched to another (Newtype Ace) when the 1st one stopped publishing, and then switched to an online publisher (Nicco?) when the 2nd book stopped.  Then for reasons I'm not familiar with, it switched to a 2nd online publisher, and restarted from the very beginning with (slight) revisions.

On 1/16/2021 at 11:08 PM, sketchley said:

It's a long story to put in manga form, and Mikimoto-san has historically shown that he looses interest in such projects, and switches to other ones.  In the past, he has eventually (that's on a scale of years) come back to finish the projects.

However, Macross the First doesn't have a stable publisher.  It started in one manga book (Macross Ace), then switched to another (Newtype Ace) when the 1st one stopped publishing, and then switched to an online publisher (Nicco?) when the 2nd book stopped.  Then for reasons I'm not familiar with, it switched to a 2nd online publisher, and restarted from the very beginning with (slight) revisions.

Ah, gotcha, sounds...messy.

BTW, thanks for the translations on your website sketchley. I try to look through your translations occasionally when I have time :).

On 1/18/2021 at 1:31 PM, jvmacross said:

There's also the original SDFM TV manga screenshot comics.....

s-l1600.jpg

...or the novelizations....

s-l1600.jpg

Huh...never seen those either. I do have the movie adaptation though (2 volume color one). What's the difference between the "screenshot comics" and the "novelizations"? From a perspective of which would be easier for a beginner to read or are they similar as far as written content, just that one uses pictures from the series and the other has more traditional black and white drawings?

1 hour ago, vsim said:

Huh...never seen those either. I do have the movie adaptation though (2 volume color one). What's the difference between the "screenshot comics" and the "novelizations"? From a perspective of which would be easier for a beginner to read or are they similar as far as written content, just that one uses pictures from the series and the other has more traditional black and white drawings?

Yes, the "film comics" basically would be a direct conversion of the dialogue heard from each of the 36 episodes of the the actual TV show....the novels are more of a condensed re-telling of the events from all 36 episodes...with very little illustrated content.

I would say the "comics" would probably be easier to read, based on the intended audience.

With some effort I managed to get through the first page of Macross The First book 1, lol. It took some effort with working some words I knew, and many I didn't through google translate to make sense of it and figure it out. I'll slowly get better, I figure it will be years before I am comfortable :).

15 hours ago, vsim said:

With some effort I managed to get through the first page of Macross The First book 1, lol. It took some effort with working some words I knew, and many I didn't through google translate to make sense of it and figure it out. I'll slowly get better, I figure it will be years before I am comfortable :).

There's another way to do it: just read it.  As you know the basic story, it's more a question of how they said it rather than what exactly they said.  At the very least, you'll be picking up the grammar (yes, there are rules to be learned, but a lot of syntax, etc. comes from repeated exposure to patterns).

Re: looking up words

For beginners, it's a bit of an overload looking up so many.  Therefore focus on the words that are repeated about 3 times or more.  Those are important to the topic, and are the ones worth spending energy on to learn right away. ;)

Edited by sketchley

On 2/1/2021 at 3:50 AM, sketchley said:

There's another way to do it: just read it.  As you know the basic story, it's more a question of how they said it rather than what exactly they said.  At the very least, you'll be picking up the grammar (yes, there are rules to be learned, but a lot of syntax, etc. comes from repeated exposure to patterns).

Re: looking up words

For beginners, it's a bit of an overload looking up so many.  Therefore focus on the words that are repeated about 3 times or more.  Those are important to the topic, and are the ones worth spending energy on to learn right away. ;)

Yeah, mostly I need the time. I can do Duolingo just because it is on my phone and I can spend short periods of time with it, although it's not the greatest for teaching rules. You end up having to read the comments under certain things to get insight into that. My Japanese is coming along slowly. But I've only been putting forth a daily effort for just over 3 months now so still a ways to go. I'm at least to the point now where I occasionally see a Kanji I know, or sometimes part of a Kanji and get a little excited that I recognize it, lol.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:01 AM, jvmacross said:

Google Translate is getting better all the time, good to hear it is helping you and acting as a learning tool

Yeah, it helps me sort out some issues, but I noticed it is terrible at translating if you just type everything in in Hiragana. It's a lot better if you convert it to the correct Kanji first.