Yamato VF-11B 1/72 Hip replacement?

Glasswave

Hey guys..just purchased a cheap 1/72 Yamato 11B brand new...

..any advice on how best to approach the hip joints before I even touch this thing?

Do I unscrew the upper leg or even disassemble in order to loosen them?

P.s. Is there an old post for outright hip replacement?

Thanks very much for any help!!

Actually, as I remember, Graham, who knew the people at Yamato had some sort of thing to get replacement hip parts, but that must have been close to 13-14 years ago. I doubt he would have any now.

the best option is to loosen the screws a bit to relieve some tension, as I recall that being advice for me when I got one as it first came out.

another possibility is to see if someone has done the hips at Shapeways? I know that the hips are metal, but it might be an option. Ask around, I know there are still a few from that time one the board who can offer more advice.

hope this helps

twich

13 hours ago, twich said:

Actually, as I remember, Graham, who knew the people at Yamato had some sort of thing to get replacement hip parts, but that must have been close to 13-14 years ago. I doubt he would have any now.

the best option is to loosen the screws a bit to relieve some tension, as I recall that being advice for me when I got one as it first came out.

another possibility is to see if someone has done the hips at Shapeways? I know that the hips are metal, but it might be an option. Ask around, I know there are still a few from that time one the board who can offer more advice.

hope this helps

twich

Many Thanks Twich!!

11 hours ago, CaptPower said:

You'd think that with how much the things tend to sell for, the company would have designed them to to be more durable than a typical plastic model kit.

Lol i cant help but agree with you..that said the version 2 is apparently issue-free : but i cant find one for less than $350!

15 minutes ago, Glasswave said:

Lol i cant help but agree with you..that said the version 2 is apparently issue-free : but i cant find one for less than $350!

You have to look outside eBay. ;)

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w438857469

After proxy fee and shipping that's still lower than $350. Bidding ends Dec 10 JST.

Edited by no3Ljm

LOL blast from the past

We mailed those Yamato hip replacements ages ago to forum members, and for the last, lets say 10 years, I had put out the remaining replacements in a 'freebie' box at my booth at the MWCon/Super Dimension Cons for those poor souls who needed them. 

I think last year we might have finally run out, but I can check my packed up boxes if one is there, its been a while. I'll look in the next week or two and ping you if successful.
I don't recall if this was re-enforced ver 2 hip or just another same-design replacement. I suspect the latter?

S

On 12/8/2020 at 8:29 PM, Shawn said:

LOL blast from the past

We mailed those Yamato hip replacements ages ago to forum members, and for the last, lets say 10 years, I had put out the remaining replacements in a 'freebie' box at my booth at the MWCon/Super Dimension Cons for those poor souls who needed them. 

I think last year we might have finally run out, but I can check my packed up boxes if one is there, its been a while. I'll look in the next week or two and ping you if successful.
I don't recall if this was re-enforced ver 2 hip or just another same-design replacement. I suspect the latter?

S

Wow I can't Thank you enough for looking Shawn! Very long time fan (lurker) of you and Graham's site!!

Very interested in a possible replacement set..or trying to find a good link for d.i.y. repair lol

Thanks again man!

On 12/8/2020 at 7:53 PM, CaptPower said:

It irks me that yahoo shut down their american auction site, leaving us with the near-monopoly that is fleabay - which now could care less whether people get scammed so long as they get paid their listing and final value fees.

Many Thanks for the link...that auction ended but i will hopefully track down a fast-pack version on there soon!!