VF-1D Toy Variants - Mass Production Version?

Draykov

So, I've always been under the impression that there are two (possibly three) canon examples of the VF-1D.  

The one Hikaru finds himself in during Ep1 "Booby Trap" and Ep2 "Countdown"

vf1d_on_the_ground.png?w=500&h=385

The one from Ep25 "Virgin Road" that sports the same paint scheme as Max's J model

vr_vf1as.png?w=500&h=378

And what I always assumed were VF-1Ds from that same episode

ep25_wedding3.png

Which brings me to my question...are those VF-1Ds in that third still?  And if so, are they sporting the standard "mass production" brownie scheme we've seen on A and J models?  Or is this an animation "error" of some kind?  Or, is this some abandoned version we were never meant to see, as discussed in the thread linked below? 

What I really want to know is, has anyone ever produced a toy representing a mass production paint scheme VF-1D?  

Edited by Draykov

27 minutes ago, Draykov said:

So, I've always been under the impression that there are two (possibly three) canon examples of the VF-1D.  

The one from Ep25 "Virgin Road" that sports the same paint scheme as Max's J model

vr_vf1as.png?w=500&h=378

ep25_wedding3.png

Which brings me to my question...are those VF-1Ds in that third still?  And if so, are they sporting the standard "mass production" brownie scheme we've seen on A and J models?  Or is this an animation "error" of some kind?  Or, is this some abandoned version we were never meant to see, as discussed in the thread linked below? 

What I really want to know is, has anyone ever produced a toy representing a mass production paint scheme VF-1D?  

No mass production toy has ever been made of the mass production VF-1D paint scheme. There's no reason to think it was a goof or a liberty, it makes sense that there would be mass production 1Ds in the fleet, but since they don't do anything of import, there's not enough demand for toys... I don't even think models have been made of them.

3 minutes ago, jenius said:

No mass production toy has ever been made of the mass production VF-1D paint scheme. There's no reason to think it was a goof or a liberty, it makes sense that there would be mass production 1Ds in the fleet, but since they don't do anything of import, there's not enough demand for toys... I don't even think models have been made of them.

Absolutely made sense to me that there would be plenty of brown ones...a little coincidental that they showed up in the episode that they did.  Not sure how well the brown 1J and VR 1D sold for Yamato, but...I'm old school and would purchase just about any VF-1 variant in the latest/greatest line of toys.  

38 minutes ago, Draykov said:

vr_vf1as.png?w=500&h=378

ep25_wedding3.png

So... I could practically hear my name being called to answer Part 1 of this question.

Yes, official Macross publications (e.g. Macross Chronicle) acknowledge three different VF-1D paintjobs in the series: Hikaru's VT-102 from the first few episodes, the VF-1D that's commonly referred to as the "Virgin Road Valkyrie" which Max and Milia flew in in "Virgin Road", and the VF-1D's in mass production colors seen in the wedding procession.  It isn't well-drawn, but I do not believe that it is an animation error given that it's referenced in Macross Chronicle.

Very few VF-1D's were ever built, but the Macross was noted to have enough for a training squadron (12 aircraft) when she launched in February 2009.  The VF-1D was not used in space if it could be helped, because the modifications to fit the second seat into a standard cockpit block involved compromising some of the space-use survival systems.  It was quietly discontinued and replaced by the VT-1 starting in Block 6.  That one scene in "Virgin Road" might constitute an appearance of as much as 20% of all VF-1D's built.

Just my opinion, but United States training aircraft are almost all white and orange. I would assume Hikaru's 1D follows that general idea, and that all other training aircraft should/would be painted in that scheme.  However what do you do when aliens invade and all training must be done in deep space in a war zone?  Paint them the same as the rank and file?  Maybe.  However, Virgin Road is all full of weird 2nd party animation errors, sooooo......

Edited by levzloi

21 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Kinda looks like that Valks about to play grabass with that enemy mech....:rofl:

VF-1 Pilot: "Swiggity-swooty, I'm comin' for that Nousjadeul-Ger booty!":rofl:

Oh $*%!  Is that a mock-up demo, or did that thing ever get produced?  Or did they release an unpainted D?  If so, that's news to me.  I was more or less "out" of the hobby by the time Yamato started releasing 1/60 2.0 versions of VF-1s. 

Edited by Draykov

1 hour ago, Draykov said:

Oh $*%!  Is that a mock-up demo, or did that thing ever get produced?  Or did they release an unpainted D?  If so, that's news to me.  I was more or less "out" of the hobby by the time Yamato started releasing 1/60 2.0 versions of VF-1s. 

It was released as an unpainted kit...the box can be seen behind the custom CF VF-1D

7 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

It was released as an unpainted kit...the box can be seen behind the custom CF VF-1D

The kit is molded in the same beige as the toy with orange decals. I started to build it with a CF scheme but was having trouble with paint scratching. One of these days I’ll repaint and reassemble it. One day. :wacko:

7 minutes ago, Boroboy said:

The kit is molded in the same beige as the toy with orange decals. I started to build it with a CF scheme but was having trouble with paint scratching. One of these days I’ll repaint and reassemble it. One day. :wacko:

I don't think I have ever seen anyone do anything special with that kit.....I bought one with the intent of making a CF out of it too....it'll never happen

VF1D-Valkyrie-Unpaint-Ver-01_1336763043.

On 12/2/2020 at 5:18 PM, levzloi said:

Just my opinion, but United States training aircraft are almost all white and orange. I would assume Hikaru's 1D follows that general idea, and that all other training aircraft should/would be painted in that scheme.  However what do you do when aliens invade and all training must be done in deep space in a war zone?  Paint them the same as the rank and file?  Maybe.  However, Virgin Road is all full of weird 2nd party animation errors, sooooo......

It’s actually test aircraft colored white or grey and orange.  The orange is usually on areas to monitor pitch, yaw, and roll with high visibility.  Training aircraft are usually a smaller jet with similar characteristics like the T-38 being used to train for everything up to and including the F-22 Raptor.  

In the master file there are good photos of 1-D’s operating as strike aircraft with the second pilot doing targeting and countermeasures and they are in grey combat colors.  They look badass.

Im stripping my DX 1D down and painting it as a grey strike aircraft.

Edited by Ridden001

Speaking of the VF-1D.....there was a variant to it that never made it to the original lineup that ended up inluding the VF-1A, D, J, and S......the legendary VF-1C...

20200429_173856.jpg

However, ARII managed to "sneak" it into their model kit lineup via the VF-1D Gerwalk kit.....later released in their 15th Anniversary Macross "toys"....

28 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

It’s actually test aircraft colored white or grey and orange.  The orange is usually on areas to monitor pitch, yaw, and roll with high visibility.  Training aircraft are usually a smaller jet with similar characteristics like the T-38 being used to train for everything up to and including the F-22 Raptor.  

In the master file there are good photos of 1-D’s operating as strike aircraft with the second pilot doing targeting and countermeasures and they are in grey combat colors.  They look badass.

Im stripping my DX 1D down and painting it as a grey strike aircraft.

After a little more searching It appears that it's not universal, however as I spent several months flying the TH-67 (first picture) out of Fort Rucker I can assure you this has been a common color pallet for training aircraft in the US Armed Services. :)

TH-67A_Creek.thumb.jpg.712c6981d15c8082399937027e780505.jpg

1158px-TH57C_boat_ops.thumb.jpg.535da387f290832eb054af61324cae66.jpg

R6KGVIOW4NGPXO7EFSGYXKYHUA.thumb.jpg.1e9cff383b27e1e19254431289d10b43.jpg

Edited by levzloi

1 hour ago, levzloi said:

After a little more searching It appears that it's not universal, however as I spent several months flying the TH-67 (first picture) out of Fort Rucker I can assure you this has been a common color pallet for training aircraft in the US Armed Services. :)

TH-67A_Creek.thumb.jpg.712c6981d15c8082399937027e780505.jpg

1158px-TH57C_boat_ops.thumb.jpg.535da387f290832eb054af61324cae66.jpg

R6KGVIOW4NGPXO7EFSGYXKYHUA.thumb.jpg.1e9cff383b27e1e19254431289d10b43.jpg

Are those t-38’s or A4’s on the deck or something else, that’s a great photo.  I’m sure there are examples, I’ve just seen a lot though on the experimental or prototypes.  I was trying to comment more on where they put the bright orange and that a vf-1D would be a solid strike aircraft.  Thanks for clarifying that and sharing the photo’s.

34 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

Are those t-38’s or A4’s on the deck or something else, that’s a great photo.  I’m sure there are examples, I’ve just seen a lot though on the experimental or prototypes.  I was trying to comment more on where they put the bright orange and that a vf-1D would be a solid strike aircraft.  Thanks for clarifying that and sharing the photo’s.

T-45 Goshawk 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_T-45_Goshawk

As for the unpainted Yamato's, I never realized they released so many variants.  

1 hour ago, wmkjr said:

Love his brownie squad:

That mass production scheme VF-1S is a strange sight.  Nice group shot!

Edited by Draykov

On 12/2/2020 at 11:55 AM, Slave IV said:

Looking forward to seeing @sh9000 custom HMRs!:D

8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Oh nice! Didn’t realize he had one already. 5 more to go!

Thanks.  I’ve got several HMR VF-1Ds so one day I’ll revisit the brownies with the new heads.

9 hours ago, wmkjr said:

Love his brownie squad:

IMG_2260.thumb.jpg.9e67e4a71c0a28c44311ef3f566a20cf.jpg

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Draykov said:

That mass production scheme VF-1S is a strange sight.  Nice group shot!

Thanks.  I got the idea from the Banpresto CF VF-1S/J/A toy that came with a VF-1S head.

D5F00168-BE36-4A90-808F-0DEA904CB256.thumb.jpeg.ba6c5c778def0026ed34316c186dec58.jpeg

Edited by sh9000

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Thanks.  I’ve got several HMR VF-1Ds so one day I’ll revisit the brownies with the new heads.

Thanks.

Thanks.  I got the idea from the Banpresto CF VF-1S/J/A toy that came with a VF-1S head.

D5F00168-BE36-4A90-808F-0DEA904CB256.thumb.jpeg.ba6c5c778def0026ed34316c186dec58.jpeg

This just reminded me of the HMR VF-1A CF release....it was released so you could go TV or DYRL with it.....It would seem that won't happen with the DX due to all the extra tampo that goes on it that has become a big part of ID'ing them as either TV or DYRL versions